U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2015, 06:47 AM

55 posts, read 33,503 times

Advertisements

OP, I didn't read any post updates to your thread but from the limited information you provided, I'd agree with you that you probably weren't going to get approved for the job or the next round of interviews. The fact that they set up a follow-up interview on the spot with the prior candidate, but not you, speaks volumes in my opinion, or at least according to my own experience. You are also correct when you say that a short interview generally is not a good sign (the only time I'd think it'd be a good sign is if they cut the interview short to offer you a position and/or follow-up interview right away). Yeah, the two people on the panel might have been really nice, but then again, they're paid to be really nice and personable. In my experience, having a really nice interview person does not mean that he/she likes you as a candidate, or at least enough to give you the job over someone else. After becoming jaded and insecure from a lot of similar job interview experiences, at this point in my life I probably would have done the same thing you did, and withdraw the application before they could reject me the day before Christmas Eve.

Actually, I had a similar experience to you. In fact, I can even relate to you on this part:
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunburned_in_seattle View Post
The Holidays are a hard time for people who have lost loved ones; unfortunately, I am in that camp.
In my case, it was my first Christmas after my mother had untimely died, AND only a month after a longtime ex-boyfriend had died too. I was working for a firm that was merging with a much bigger company, and we had to all get hired through the other company in order to keep working, which would have been a slam-dunk deal/grandfathered deal if it weren't for me having a glaringly potential disqualification. Instead of telling my manager that I didn't feel comfortable with the whole process and planning to pursue other job prospects, I stuck with it...just to be told the day before Christmas Eve that I was ineligible, and in not the nicest way either...and then told that a "final decision will be sent in the mail". What a slap in the face...this wasn't just a matter of trying to land a new job, but a matter of essentially losing my current job over it too! I felt stupid that I'd set myself up to receive such a mean rejection the day before Christmas Eve, by investing all that unpaid extra time pursuing training for a company that I knew from the start would likely find me to be unqualified for the merger. Now this might sound slightly passive-aggressive or immature (this was 10 years ago, mind you), but after feeling like a fool for pursing all the unpaid training just to be rejected (and essentially losing my current job) right before Christmas, I decided to blow off my mailed rejection letter. The letter was sent certified mail, which meant the company would not only be receiving proof that I'd accepted and signed for their rejection letter, but it also meant I'd have to essentially invest even more time into this no-go company by traveling up to the post office and waiting in line to sign for a letter that I knew was just going to be an insult-to-injury rejection letter. I decided to just not respond at all, and let their little rejection letter get returned to sender, as a way to keep my last shred of dignity. Then again, in my situation I knew for sure that I was disqualified from the position, as the qualifications were pretty clearly stated. In your situation, is there a possibility that perhaps they were considering you? I know I've pointed out my opinion that they likely would have gone with the other candidate, but given the whole uncertainty of the situation, perhaps there's a small chance I am wrong here? IDK.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2015, 07:18 AM

1,217 posts, read 2,354,013 times
Dear OP

Because you knew you were not getting a 2nd interview I don't think you did anything wrong to pull your application. I don't care about the holidays blah-blah reason and you don't need to give any reason to them or to us, better if you don't. You can answer truthfully at future interviews that you were not rejected by that company. You didn't blow anything IMO.

Second-guessing is human nature, we all do it. Learning to trust your instincts will serve you well in the future as long as you are moving forward in your career and not stalling yourself by not taking chances to apply for a higher position because you're afraid of rejection.

You need to apply to many employment openings and not pin everything on one interview. You have skills (I assume) and need to barter your skills to get the best position. To get a better job get better skills including interviewing skills. What you want is to get that "second interview" every time you apply. Then YOU get to be the one to accept/reject an offer.

Good luck and have a great 2016.

Old 12-29-2015, 07:30 AM

6,875 posts, read 3,735,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagardener View Post
Dear OP

Because you knew you were not getting a 2nd interview I don't think you did anything wrong to pull your application. I don't care about the holidays blah-blah reason and you don't need to give any reason to them or to us, better if you don't. You can answer truthfully at future interviews that you were not rejected by that company. You didn't blow anything IMO.
Incorrect. Unless they specifically told you "you didn't get the job" then 30 minutes after the interview, you don't know anything. It's all assumptions out of ignorance. For all we know the admin may have been miffed because she just got through filling out the hiring paperwork for HR and the OP goes and withdraws.

I have a hard time even believing the OP is real, but if it is, good grief.

Old 12-29-2015, 07:51 AM

5,168 posts, read 2,615,434 times
OP, for the future, please read my thread on this very subject matter.

Don't let your insecurities get in the way, learn from me

Old 12-29-2015, 08:02 AM

19,185 posts, read 15,051,305 times
It is possible that the one that interviewed before the OP was the top candidate but had the 2nd interview not worked out or if that applicant had not of worked out, OP could have been the next to be considered.

OP wasted their time and plainly expressed that after interviewing and learning about the company and meeting the people that there was no way that he would want to work there and wasn't even possibly interested in an offer.

OP needs counseling on how to handle rejection and also maybe needs to work with someone that can help him with looking for a job and courtesy.

Old 12-29-2015, 09:37 AM

6,407 posts, read 3,506,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunburned_in_seattle View Post
My thoughts exactly...seems kinda "heartless" right?

In 2007 I worked for (name of reputable company) Right around the holidays, I started noticing *there was not a lot for me to do * Not a good sign, right?

Well, they had the decency to wait until *after* the holidays to let me know I was going to be laid off.. and not until Feb 29th (Leap Year!!). So, they told me early January, so I had about 2 months to prepare myself.

Everyone in the department ended up getting laid off, at least all of the new people who had been hired esp for the project. The entire project was axed. Only one employee, would had worked in a different department prior to ours, ended up getting placed in a different dept, and staying.
So you've been in the workforce at least 8 years? Your post made it seem like you were fresh out of college.

Old 12-29-2015, 11:23 AM

5,162 posts, read 9,752,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
Incorrect. Unless they specifically told you "you didn't get the job" then 30 minutes after the interview, you don't know anything. It's all assumptions out of ignorance. For all we know the admin may have been miffed because she just got through filling out the hiring paperwork for HR and the OP goes and withdraws.

I have a hard time even believing the OP is real, but if it is, good grief.
That's the way I see it as well. Turning down another interview, withdrawing from the interview process, it all ends the same way, you not getting the job. Is it suppose to be a moral victory?

Old 12-29-2015, 12:13 PM

4,679 posts, read 2,302,771 times
I've gotten rejected on my birthday before. Sucks, but there is more to life than getting rejected for a job. Don't overthink things, move on, and keep applying elsewhere.

Old 12-29-2015, 01:07 PM

12,190 posts, read 10,397,918 times
I just don't see how removing all chance of getting the job near the holidays is better than not knowing near the holidays. You may have taken yourself out of the running because someone had a cold, or a busy schedule, or a million other things.

Old 12-29-2015, 01:37 PM

55 posts, read 33,503 times
Okay, true enough to the people who posted after me, but what about in my scenario? Was there really anything lost when I ignored my certified mail rejection letter from a company? After all, I'd already received a pre-Christmas phonecall preaching from the hiring manager about how I wasn't qualified enough. He then proceeded to call up my direct manager (at the small office I was already employed at, which was planning the merger with the much bigger company) and complain to him about me, about how my manager should have never tried to send me their way. It was pretty obvious that I was getting rejected, and even my own direct manager said that. So in a way, I DID get a rejection right before the holidays. I guess the reason why I purposely evaded picking up that certified mail rejection letter from the post office was because I wanted to convey the message that I was snubbing them back, and not investing a minute more into a company that decided I wasn't qualified after I'd invested time in their unpaid information sessions, not even to go on an errand to the post office. Yes, I did it to be spiteful along with also doing it to be self-preserving of my insecure, delicate self. But was there really any "bad" to me snubbing the rejection letter?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search