Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2015, 08:53 PM

439 posts, read 513,265 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I applied for a job - there was a ton of paperwork to check my background, an exam I had to take, and then an interview. They were hiring a number of people, but I'm not sure how many. The interview was super easy -it was supposed to be a panel interview, but there were only two people AND they were super nice, so it wasn't really a panel interview, at least not the type I am used to.

I was only there for probably 30 minutes, however, when I left, then didn't schedule any follow-up, like they did with the person before me, instead they told me they would let me know tomorrow (Dec. 23rd).

sooooo, at that point, I assumed that I didn't get it the job OR that they needed further discussion - like I wasn't going to be their first choice for one of the slots.. About 20 minutes after the interview, which was on Dec. 22nd, I emailed the administrative assistant and asked to withdraw my application because I didn't want to get rejected on Dec. 23rd and have it ruin my Christmas (note: those weren't my exact words, but that was totally the reason why) When the administrative assistant emailed me back - she wasn't super polite.. side story: when I was a junior in college, I applied for something, didn't get it, and then I went home for Christmas break, I thought it totally ruined it.. I mean, it was such a bummer.

OH, another thing: I pretty much wanted to cancel the interview because I had a huge zit. I mean HUGE. It was difficult for me to feel confident that day because I felt that I couldn't put my best face forward, literally. Then I also couldn't decide what I wanted to wear....then I realized I didn't really know where the interview was and there was a typo on the directions they gave me...then I tried to print out their specific instructions and my printer cartridge ran out of ink (of course!)...Then I couldn't find parking, it was snowballing into a terrible morning. I got there *right on the dot* but I wasn't early-- which I think kind of looks bad.

1) Do you think that I burned the bridge? Should I just have waited for them to reject me? I didn't want to get rejected right before Christmas!

There is another location hiring for which I would have a completely separate interview and application process, I think that I would prefer to work for them, partially because they pay better for the same job ($8,000 more per year) That would make me feel better financially. I just didn't want to get rejected from above job, you know...

2) Do you think interviewers can tell if you have any hesitancy about the job. Like say, if you're not super excited about the salary (which is just a set amount, not up for negotiation)

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2015, 08:56 PM

Perhaps they were not going to reject me, it just was really bad timing..

now I will never know..I should probably just stop obsessing about it and move on..

Old 12-27-2015, 09:01 PM

13,011 posts, read 12,969,062 times
Yes, I think you burned that bridge. If an applicant withdraws their application after the interview, it means that they don't want to work for the company, or they are a flake. Either way I would not bother to interview then again in the future.

You need to grow a thicker skin.

Old 12-27-2015, 09:03 PM

10,248 posts, read 13,765,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunburned_in_seattle View Post
Hello,

I applied for a job - there was a ton of paperwork to check my background, an exam I had to take, and then an interview. They were hiring a number of people, but I'm not sure how many. The interview was super easy -it was supposed to be a panel interview, but there were only two people AND they were super nice, so it wasn't really a panel interview, at least not the type I am used to.

I was only there for probably 30 minutes, however, when I left, then didn't schedule any follow-up, like they did with the person before me, instead they told me they would let me know tomorrow (Dec. 23rd).

sooooo, at that point, I assumed that I didn't get it the job OR that they needed further discussion - like I wasn't going to be their first choice for one of the slots.. About 20 minutes after the interview, which was on Dec. 22nd, I emailed the administrative assistant and asked to withdraw my application because I didn't want to get rejected on Dec. 23rd and have it ruin my Christmas (note: those weren't my exact words, but that was totally the reason why) When the administrative assistant emailed me back - she wasn't super polite.. side story: when I was a junior in college, I applied for something, didn't get it, and then I went home for Christmas break, I thought it totally ruined it.. I mean, it was such a bummer.

OH, another thing: I pretty much wanted to cancel the interview because I had a huge zit. I mean HUGE. It was difficult for me to feel confident that day because I felt that I couldn't put my best face forward, literally. Then I also couldn't decide what I wanted to wear....then I realized I didn't really know where the interview was and there was a typo on the directions they gave me...then I tried to print out their specific instructions and my printer cartridge ran out of ink (of course!)...Then I couldn't find parking, it was snowballing into a terrible morning. I got there *right on the dot* but I wasn't early-- which I think kind of looks bad.

1) Do you think that I burned the bridge? Should I just have waited for them to reject me? I didn't want to get rejected right before Christmas!

There is another location hiring for which I would have a completely separate interview and application process, I think that I would prefer to work for them, partially because they pay better for the same job ($8,000 more per year) That would make me feel better financially. I just didn't want to get rejected from above job, you know...

2) Do you think interviewers can tell if you have any hesitancy about the job. Like say, if you're not super excited about the salary (which is just a set amount, not up for negotiation)

Thank you.
You didn't burn that bridge. You poured gasoline on it and torched it with a flamethrower. That's probably the most ridiculous reason I've seen for withdrawing an application.

Old 12-27-2015, 09:07 PM

13,074 posts, read 20,749,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunburned_in_seattle View Post
(note: those weren't my exact words, but that was totally the reason why)
Your exact words do matter in a scenario like this. You really need to post what you said.

Old 12-27-2015, 10:30 PM

1,716 posts, read 2,489,947 times
When competing for a job, you never know the hand stacked 'against' you (the other applicants). IMO you need to 'let the cards fall where they may' and learn how to move on accordingly.

Old 12-27-2015, 10:30 PM

I just didn't want it to ruin my holiday!! I mean, mark my holiday...like the entire time I would be thinking, "I can't believe I didn't get that job..." Of course, now I will not know what they thought of me.

Is there anything else I can do at this point, or is it just too late?

Old 12-27-2015, 10:35 PM

Default darn it, you are so right...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelva View Post
When competing for a job, you never know the hand (other applicants 'against' you) - IMO you need to 'let the cards fall where they may' and learn how to move on accordingly.
Darn it, you are so right. I should've just waited to be rejected, right??

On a side note: I actually know two people who are GREAT at what they do (one is a high school spanish teacher, another is an office admin..) anyway, they were not the *first choice* but they are sooo competent at what they do.

Esp. the Spanish Teacher, he is an innovator with technology and teaching, etc.

Some people just don't interview well, and I think I am one of those people

Old 12-27-2015, 10:35 PM

1,716 posts, read 2,489,947 times
Just learn from it, grasshopper.

Old 12-27-2015, 10:38 PM

The Holidays are a hard time for people who have lost loved ones; unfortunately, I am in that camp.

It would be much easier for me to get rejected for a job in January, I could just take it in stride.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search