U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-28-2015, 12:23 PM

1 posts, read 422 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

First post and I came here specifically because the forum posts I have seen on here have always been much help in the past. I am creating a LinkedIn profile, and I obviously would like to do it honestly while also presenting it as best as possible. Though I have an issue with under "University" what to put as my "start year" and "end year". Here is my scenario as honestly as possible.

I started University fall 2009, where I attended for the full year. I left college and took a break because I truthfully was not ready or responsible enough to take it seriously at the time. During this time I worked full-time at a corporate office. This break lasted two years, where I then attended a community college for 2 years and finished the basic Gen.Ed courses for my major. I then returned to the University where I started (this was Spring 2015), and I am on pace to graduate August 2016 (July term will be my last).

A good friend of mine is a recruiter for various large firms, and I know from speaking with him that LinkedIn profiles are, indeed, very important in this day and age now. I have no intention of wanting to be dishonest on my profile, but I am unsure of what to put as my "start year" under my college education. My "end year" will obviously be 2016.

Do I put Start Year - 2009, End Year - 2016? That looks like it took me 7 years to achieve my undergrad. Another option would be to put the year I returned to school full-time at the community college, where I frankly pretty much started from scratch. They are both misleading and not the complete truth, mainly because there isn't an option to put a "leave of absence from school" in the profile.

I apologize if this was a long post, but your thoughts would help greatly as I want to hear different point of views.

Thanks again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2015, 03:42 PM

15,039 posts, read 21,790,321 times
Just put your end year. You don't have to put your start year.

Old 12-28-2015, 08:01 PM

789 posts, read 1,683,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
Just put your end year. You don't have to put your start year.

Exactly this. Although I had to go to my profile to check, and I didn't even bother listing a year. Just school and degree. The year doesn't matter much once you have experience.

Old 12-28-2015, 08:17 PM

23,691 posts, read 17,660,009 times
I would only put your end date on there. Not only will it cover up the truth partially, but it will also make you seem younger.

Old 12-28-2015, 08:31 PM

289 posts, read 346,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrk.jones View Post
That looks like it took me 7 years to achieve my undergrad.
That's because, quite honestly, it did. I don't know why you're ashamed of that. As others have said, you can leave that off LinkedIn, but you may find on job applications that some places require an end and start date for college. I am in a similar boat as you- started school, only took 4 classes a semester so I could work more hours at my job, and took a break at one point. Overall it took me 7 years to get my bachelor's degree. It doesn't bother me, nor does it seem to have bothered anyone that's interviewed me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or