U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-31-2015, 12:26 PM

154 posts, read 89,094 times

Advertisements

I was just wondering if anyone had any opinions/ideas regarding when possible future employers ask for job references. I have given them email addresses, which is usually the most appropriate for the references I have given them, but they'd rather have phone numbers.

Regarding my particular references, the only numbers I have for them is work numbers and at the place they work, giving out references is directed to Human Resources. I gave the individual that interviewed me the number for HR, but they insist on speaking to a supervisor, manager, or coworker.

I know that in the past, these references have been kind enough to give a job reference through an email, however, giving a reference over the phone at work is unprofessional as the walls have ears. These are fantastic references for me and I don't want to ruin my professional relationship with them if they think that I'm giving out their work numbers.

I have explained this to interviewers in the past, yet again, they insist that they must speak to someone.

Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2016, 07:51 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
29,911 posts, read 54,633,409 times
You should never give a reference without contacting them first to get their permission, and to be sure it will be a good reference. Then get a contact number such as cell phone that won't go through the company system, and give those numbers as well as work e-mail. The e-mail address domain will confirm they are who you say they are. Personal e-mail and non-work number looks suspicious. We require voice contact with references, but often use e-mail to ask the reference to call us back.

Old 01-04-2016, 08:35 AM

9,805 posts, read 17,032,834 times
Phone references are common; I am not sure why you think they are unprofessional.

Old 01-04-2016, 01:20 PM

403 posts, read 317,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ourdaywillcome View Post
I was just wondering if anyone had any opinions/ideas regarding when possible future employers ask for job references. I have given them email addresses, which is usually the most appropriate for the references I have given them, but they'd rather have phone numbers.

Regarding my particular references, the only numbers I have for them is work numbers and at the place they work, giving out references is directed to Human Resources. I gave the individual that interviewed me the number for HR, but they insist on speaking to a supervisor, manager, or coworker.

I know that in the past, these references have been kind enough to give a job reference through an email, however, giving a reference over the phone at work is unprofessional as the walls have ears. These are fantastic references for me and I don't want to ruin my professional relationship with them if they think that I'm giving out their work numbers.

I have explained this to interviewers in the past, yet again, they insist that they must speak to someone.

Any thoughts?
I always gave my references work number because it looked a lot better than I had references who were employed.

Old 01-04-2016, 05:51 PM

1,357 posts, read 1,116,330 times
I always give the cell phone number of my references (and I always check with them beforehand to make sure they're okay with it). Rarely do I give email addresses - all of them HAVE email addresses, but to me the company is more likely to get a response via phone. I thought phone was more common anyway.

Old 01-04-2016, 05:56 PM

4,681 posts, read 2,306,526 times
With so much information available about candidates online today, I'm surprised lots of companies still conduct these checks. I've read that most of the time, the company just wants to see the titles of the people you've referenced. For instance, having a manager's name as a ref makes you look better than using a co-worker. If the hiring manager deems something suspicious about you, or you gave off some weird vibes at some point during the process, then I can understand.

For the position I have now, I was told twice that a job offer would come after checking my references. Turns out that my references told me they were never contacted by anyone, and that was many many months ago. I didn't have a history of job hopping or exaggerating skills, so I guess they figured they were pretty safe with their selection of me.

Old 01-09-2016, 07:59 PM

1,249 posts, read 2,993,177 times
I think that most employers would rather give a quick phone call to a reference anyway, so they can get some kind of sense from a brief conversation if the reference is enthusiastic about you or not. That's hard to gauge from e-mail.

I have former supervisors who would probably make great references, but they've moved on and I've moved on and I haven't spoken to them in a couple years... so for me, it's hard to just ring them up and say "May I use you as a reference?" Fortunately when I left my last job, some of the key people I worked with volunteered themselves as references for me, which was very nice of them and which I am grateful for.

Old 01-10-2016, 06:40 AM

9,805 posts, read 17,032,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsthetime View Post
With so much information available about candidates online today, I'm surprised lots of companies still conduct these checks. I've read that most of the time, the company just wants to see the titles of the people you've referenced. For instance, having a manager's name as a ref makes you look better than using a co-worker. If the hiring manager deems something suspicious about you, or you gave off some weird vibes at some point during the process, then I can understand.

For the position I have now, I was told twice that a job offer would come after checking my references. Turns out that my references told me they were never contacted by anyone, and that was many many months ago. I didn't have a history of job hopping or exaggerating skills, so I guess they figured they were pretty safe with their selection of me.

Because a tremendous amount of information is not available on line.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search