U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2016, 08:40 PM
MVX MVX started this thread

5 posts, read 2,874 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
Nobody can answer that. We don't know your industry, geographic area, specific job or career level. With so many unknowns body here can give you a real answer.

My point is that it doesn't make any difference. You don't have a choice. You take it and see how you feel in 6 months. If you feel underpaid, try your luck on the job market. If you feel reasonably compensated, all is good.
Good advice.

Do you feel I may jeopardize burning bridges if I provide notice 6 months from now if I find a better opportunity? Should I even care if I do somehow burn my bridges?

I'm just nervous about the long term and feeling very conflicted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2016, 10:06 PM

21,155 posts, read 11,761,610 times
what was the basis for your expectation that the raise would be more than 15%? Is the going rate for that position in your area more? If so, provide some documentation of that (legit sources like BLS or industry specific) and see if you can negotiate for more.

Old 01-02-2016, 11:40 PM

13,343 posts, read 17,395,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MVX View Post
Really nothing at this point. I just want to stay in a good mindset right out of the gate and this seed has already been planted that I will not be compensated fairly. Just wanted some outside perspectives on if I was correct to feel this way, if I should try to feel about it differently, focus my energy on gathering enough evidence of a job well done to ask for more money down the road, etc..

I also feel if I give notice any less than a year from now I'll burn my bridges.
Based on what?

Old 01-03-2016, 05:45 PM

8,930 posts, read 8,394,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MVX View Post
Good advice.

Do you feel I may jeopardize burning bridges if I provide notice 6 months from now if I find a better opportunity? Should I even care if I do somehow burn my bridges?

I'm just nervous about the long term and feeling very conflicted.
I don't think you run any more risk than if you don't take the job, or if you leave after 2 years. Any time you leave an employer you run a risk of getting yourself put on the do not rehire list and poisoning a reference. Usually this doesn't happen, although reading this forum might give you the opposite impression.

Let's break it down though. A promotion and raise is going to improve your marketability in the future. Looking at it that way, there is only an upside to taking the job.

Once you are in the new position, with a new boss, you will learn the expectations. You will be able to determine what will happen if you leave after 6 months, or 60 months. No matter what happens, if you decide to leave, leaving from the higher position is better for you.

If you are in a professional career, you should make an effort to keep on good terms with previous employers. They are going to be used as references in the future, and you may wind up working with them in some manner in the future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or