Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-28-2015, 06:42 AM

41 posts, read 31,651 times

Advertisements

Good Morning,

I'm $50,000.00 in debt and I'm trying to find ways to pay this debt in the next 2 years. I have a full time job that is very demanding as a Financial Supervisor, so I can't take another job in the evenings with regular hours, but I was thinking if a Senior Personal Companion would work, this is some of the things I have in mind:

​Senior Services

- Senior Visitation/Companionship
- Computer/Internet/Social Media Assistance
- Grocery Shopping
- Pharmacy Pick-Up & Delivery
- Errands (see Errand section)

Errand/Personal Services

- Dry Cleaning/Laundry Pick-Up & Delivery
- Grocery Shopping (if requested, will put away and organize for you as well)
- Pharmacy Pick-Up & Delivery
- Personal Shopping (cards, gifts< home)
- Mail & Package Delivery
- Birthday & Anniversary Reminders

My time is limited, so it would have to be in the evenings and weekends, I don't work Saturday or Sunday. Would you be kind enough to let me know your thoughts on this crazy idea I have.

Regards,

Elizabeth
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2015, 09:01 AM

12,064 posts, read 23,099,131 times
Not being available during the day time severely limits your usefulness. Social services, family, friends, neighbors, etc. already provide a lot of those services, and they generally do it for free. You'd make a lot more money delivering pizzas on the weekends.

Old 12-28-2015, 11:29 AM

Hi Joe,

I guess i set up my heart on trying to do this. I created a rough draft let me know what you think. I have to delete the post, someone told me it was advertisement, I didn't mean to do that.

Last edited by Elizabeth61; 12-28-2015 at 12:39 PM..

Old 12-28-2015, 12:43 PM

12,064 posts, read 23,099,131 times
I don't see how it is an advertisement if you haven't provided any contact info. It is nothing more than throwing out an idea and looking for feedback. I wouldn't delete anything. If the Mod wants it gone, it will disappear on its own.

Old 12-28-2015, 09:24 PM

789 posts, read 1,984,818 times
I saw your same post in the Economics thread. Based on that additional information, I think that there is a way to go about this that might work better for you.

The problem with what you're trying to do is that home health aides typically make close to minimum wage. They can do most of what you've listed, plus hygiene and personal care. What you want to do is more along the lines of concierge service. If this is what you want to do, then package it appropriately. Not sure if you're in a big enough city to support these services, but it's an idea. Most elderly people that need a companion need it because of dementia, Alzheimer's, ALS, or other major disability. These people will not only need a higher level of care than you listed, but also more consistent and probably more time consuming than you have to give.

But based on your other thread, you have experience with caring for a parent with Alzheimer's, a parent after a surgery, and a spouse with cancer. Why not use the knowledge you gained to establish resources for other caregivers in your area? For a fee, of course. But I know that I have friends currently caring for sick parents and they often struggle with finding resources. If you could do all the leg work, you could definitely charge for the information. You could gather information about doctors, hospice care, continuing care homes, respite care, adult daycare, private and insurance pay nurses and aides, non-nurse caregivers, etc. You would need to gather lots of information on each area listed, including pricing, references, reviews, referrals, insurance and Medicaid/medicare acceptance, etc. But you seem to have a good starting point based on what you've been through, and I think that there is definitely a local market for this information.

Just something to consider.

Old 12-29-2015, 07:06 AM

MainLineMommy,

I think that your suggestion is really great and I would consider that.

Old 12-31-2015, 03:26 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,311,514 times
You would be competing with companies like this https://api.taskrabbit.com/

They do a background check on their workers and also match the right skills and credentials to the people needing help.

You might consider signing up with something like this because it would be casting a broader net than just going it alone.

Old 01-02-2016, 02:34 AM

3,222 posts, read 4,545,928 times
''Elder Care Managers'' do a lot of this as well as senior social services and Areas on Aging.
What you describe is basically a ''personal assistant'' who would more likely be affordable by wealthier clients.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search