U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2016, 09:55 AM

911 posts, read 713,021 times

Advertisements

Here's the truth about going back to school later in age and re-entering the workforce.

First, I think going back to school at any age shows, spunk, wit, ambition, and gumption. It's a very noble thing to do. But, it's as if your previous experience doesn't mean a thing, because it isn't "recent." Well, my experience is a history of what I did, and since I can't erase history, I will have the experience no matter what.

Ok, so let's say my experience doesn't matter. I just earned a college degree. Does that mean anything? No, because you're a new graduate who doesn't know anything. That means start all over again at the very bottom.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2016, 09:57 AM

3,139 posts, read 3,508,503 times
Be you 50 or 60, just keep plugging away. There are employers who want us older workers, we just have to get connected.
I'm working part-time retail now, but I am starting back in the new year to try to get something that pays more and involves less hours and stress.
I'm hoping that the fact that I am currently employed will help.
Just keep trying!

Old 01-05-2016, 10:58 AM

2,082 posts, read 1,857,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by te3t View Post
Stay positive since a 53 year old was hired at my job last year which means it's all about the experience not your graduation date.
Your experience is not everyone's experience.

Old 01-05-2016, 11:55 AM

21,699 posts, read 23,664,674 times
Quote:
I just posted a link that is geared toward people over 50 who is seeking employment.

Jobs for Seniors, AARP Foundation SCSEP Offers Training and Support - AARP Foundation
They offer training and support in about 20 states and you have to be in the cities in which they operate. They don't guarantee jobs. They are a good connection, training and resource organization like an employment agency. They can put people in touch with employers who are amenable to hiring the older worker but they are just a drop in the bucket for the many out of work older people who are looking for employment.

You cannot just point to one person who got a job as an example that everyone will get one easily. And you can't point to one organization that offers help and say that it's the magic bullet for everyone.

Old 01-05-2016, 07:55 PM

403 posts, read 315,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
They offer training and support in about 20 states and you have to be in the cities in which they operate. They don't guarantee jobs. They are a good connection, training and resource organization like an employment agency. They can put people in touch with employers who are amenable to hiring the older worker but they are just a drop in the bucket for the many out of work older people who are looking for employment.

You cannot just point to one person who got a job as an example that everyone will get one easily. And you can't point to one organization that offers help and say that it's the magic bullet for everyone.
But doesn't the link give someone who is 55 or older a little hope they can be placed in a job since it's a agency geared toward seniors?

Old 01-05-2016, 09:00 PM

3,463 posts, read 2,726,657 times
Quote:
But doesn't the link give someone who is 55 or older a little hope they can be placed in a job since it's a agency geared toward seniors?

A 'little' hope? Perhaps. But in the big picture there are still not even close to enough jobs for the demand nor do most of the jobs they have pay enough to even survive on. Competition is just as fierce there as any other route you take so by no means is it any kind of magic bullet. But yes, it is another avenue to consider and check into if one has not already AND if the service is even offered in your area.

Old 01-05-2016, 10:42 PM

21,699 posts, read 23,664,674 times
Quote:
Sure it does. I never said never give up hope.

One thing I have to mention is I don't like the "geared for seniors" thing. That sounds like a euphemism for "lower pay" or "grunt work." If I were looking for a job, I would want to do whatever it was I was capable of doing. As long as I have the skills and knowledge, I don't need a job that's "geared" for my age.

In my last job, I taught young people in their twenties and thirties various input in our company's computer system. I was in my 50's and 60's at the time. I often worked with our IT people when a new program was implemented in our department.

If these agencies are training older people to upgrade their skills, fine. But placing them in "older specific" jobs is not really doing them such great favors. Not when they are looking for real jobs for competitive salaries like everyone else.

Also, are 55 year olds considered Seniors? Why should people be considered as less productive just because, as the woman in the article, they turned 50? The whole idea that there is a need for separate agencies for people over a certain age is a shame.

Old 01-06-2016, 08:16 AM

298 posts, read 204,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
Sure it does. I never said never give up hope.

One thing I have to mention is I don't like the "geared for seniors" thing. That sounds like a euphemism for "lower pay" or "grunt work." If I were looking for a job, I would want to do whatever it was I was capable of doing. As long as I have the skills and knowledge, I don't need a job that's "geared" for my age.

In my last job, I taught young people in their twenties and thirties various input in our company's computer system. I was in my 50's and 60's at the time. I often worked with our IT people when a new program was implemented in our department.

If these agencies are training older people to upgrade their skills, fine. But placing them in "older specific" jobs is not really doing them such great favors. Not when they are looking for real jobs for competitive salaries like everyone else.

Also, are 55 year olds considered Seniors? Why should people be considered as less productive just because, as the woman in the article, they turned 50? The whole idea that there is a need for separate agencies for people over a certain age is a shame.
I agree. They want to give use crap jobs that nobody else wants. There are reasons they don't want them, the same ones we have. People who are having trouble need to think outside the box and stop applying for jobs through these agencies. These agencies play with quotas and collect information that then they feed/sell to others. You know this when you get spam in your email box or mailed brochures in your box you never requested. Data collecting is big business..bigger than trying to help us find jobs.

There have got to be employers who are not biased. Far and few but they're still out there and it's a matter of location them. How to locate them if for job seeker to figure out.

Old 01-06-2016, 07:08 PM

403 posts, read 315,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erauso1592 View Post
I agree. They want to give use crap jobs that nobody else wants. There are reasons they don't want them, the same ones we have. People who are having trouble need to think outside the box and stop applying for jobs through these agencies. These agencies play with quotas and collect information that then they feed/sell to others. You know this when you get spam in your email box or mailed brochures in your box you never requested. Data collecting is big business..bigger than trying to help us find jobs.

There have got to be employers who are not biased. Far and few but they're still out there and it's a matter of location them. How to locate them if for job seeker to figure out.
The way to get hired in 2016 is through a referral which can be from any of the list below.

Relative
Friend
Temp Agency
Local State Agency
Employee

And with unemployment only being 26 weeks there may not be enough time to locate employers on your own.

Old 01-06-2016, 07:21 PM

3,463 posts, read 2,726,657 times
Quote:
The way to get hired in 2016 is through a referral which can be from any of the list below.

Relative
Friend
Temp Agency
Local State Agency
Employee

And with unemployment only being 26 weeks there may not be enough time to locate employers on your own.
The topic is not where to look for jobs, what sources to use or how to network. It is people over 50 NOT being able to get hired due to ageism as well as it being a tough competitive market as it is. Most of us are well aware how to apply for jobs and where to look.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or