U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2016, 07:21 PM

4,826 posts, read 7,302,761 times

Advertisements

I'm 54 years old. I was in the elevator at work the other day with an owner of another business in the building where I work. We were talking about his company and I asked him if he would ever hire someone over 50. He said, "sadly enough, no." He said "once you hit a certain age, it's very hard to find a good job/company that will hire you. That goes for men and women" (and he was clearly in his 50s)

That is so messed up. It doesn't matter the talent you have or the dedication you have or the skills you can bring to the job. If you're "older" you have a slim-to-none chance of getting hired.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2016, 08:15 PM

403 posts, read 319,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corn-fused View Post
The topic is not where to look for jobs, what sources to use or how to network. It is people over 50 NOT being able to get hired due to ageism as well as it being a tough competitive market as it is. Most of us are well aware how to apply for jobs and where to look.
The people I know who are in their 50's get hired from networking not applying from the outside.

Old 01-06-2016, 08:17 PM

403 posts, read 319,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amisi View Post
I'm 54 years old. I was in the elevator at work the other day with an owner of another business in the building where I work. We were talking about his company and I asked him if he would ever hire someone over 50. He said, "sadly enough, no." He said "once you hit a certain age, it's very hard to find a good job/company that will hire you. That goes for men and women" (and he was clearly in his 50s)

That is so messed up. It doesn't matter the talent you have or the dedication you have or the skills you can bring to the job. If you're "older" you have a slim-to-none chance of getting hired.
Well if someone maintains that type of mindset then it will probably be difficult finding employment. One of the most important things someone of any age must have when seeking employment is a positive attitude.

Old 01-06-2016, 08:28 PM

3,463 posts, read 2,763,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by te3t View Post
The people I know who are in their 50's get hired from networking not applying from the outside.
You are not telling anyone anything they don't already know. Networking happens to be the best way for people to land jobs, yes. But even still, that does not work for everyone and it is definitely not a magic bullet by any means nor are there any guarantees it will, or does, work. Everything should be in job seeker's arsenal.

Nothing you are saying takes away the fact that people over 50 have an extremely difficult time, if any luck at all, finding jobs no matter what they do.

Old 01-06-2016, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by te3t View Post
Well if someone maintains that type of mindset then it will probably be difficult finding employment. One of the most important things someone of any age must have when seeking employment is a positive attitude.

It is not whether anyone is maintaining a positive attitude. If they are here posting and still doing what they can to find work then that is definitely positive. People here are just stating facts and their frustration of having such a difficult time finding work when you are over 50. No one is saying they have completely given up however, it is definitely like beating a dead horse and is beyond frustrating. People still want to work and many still need to and people need to vent and reach out or it will drive you into the ground.

You just don't seem to be grasping that. You are preaching to the choir here.

Old 01-06-2016, 11:13 PM

3,460 posts, read 2,216,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
There is nothing new about this. Back in 2004 I was out of work and ran into the same thing. I was in my mid fifties. I had a BA and a paralegal degree with years of experience in every aspect of office work including top computer skills in which I did training to entry level employees. I had one employment agency literally laugh in my face as they bent over backward to place the much less experienced twenty year olds.

It took me three years to land a good full time job. It finally came about when a friend of mine was able to get me an interview with a supervisor at her company in which the HR department had rejected me twice. The supervisor hired me and I worked there for years after.

Older workers, both men and women, have always had this problem.
Years ago I worked at a small company. We had an opening for an office manager. The owner was expecting to hire a young woman for the job, because that's what he always did in the past. One of the applicants was a man, who had just retired as VP from a larger company in a big city. The fellow I worked with from accounting said he was having a problem with him applying. I asked him what the problem was, and he said this guy came in and aced the interview, so he doesn't know what to do. I said "I'm confused, what's the problem?". He said it's because he's an older man in his 60s, was a VP and is applying for the Office Manager position and was confused why the guy wanted the job. I said it was obvious, he wants to work here, and we should hire him since he's the best that has applied. The rest were these young women in their 20s which weren't impressive at all compared to this guy. They hired him and he turned out to be the best office manager ever and helped the company a great dealing with mentoring other clerical staff and dealing with customers. They felt lucky he wanted to work there. The guy was a class act too.

Stupid companies out there, I have to say. The idea all that experience is walking in your door and their first thought is this person isn't young enough. My feeling is, good, we want real experience.

Old 01-06-2016, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastguyz View Post
Years ago I worked at a small company. We had an opening for an office manager. The owner was expecting to hire a young woman for the job, because that's what he always did in the past. One of the applicants was a man, who had just retired as VP from a larger company in a big city. The fellow I worked with from accounting said he was having a problem with him applying. I asked him what the problem was, and he said this guy came in and aced the interview, so he doesn't know what to do. I said "I'm confused, what's the problem?". He said it's because he's an older man in his 60s, was a VP and is applying for the Office Manager position and was confused why the guy wanted the job. I said it was obvious, he wants to work here, and we should hire him since he's the best that has applied. The rest were these young women in their 20s which weren't impressive at all compared to this guy. They hired him and he turned out to be the best office manager ever and helped the company a great dealing with mentoring other clerical staff and dealing with customers. They felt lucky he wanted to work there. The guy was a class act too.

Stupid companies out there, I have to say. The idea all that experience is walking in your door and their first thought is this person isn't young enough. My feeling is, good, we want real experience.
Touche! There is definitely a blatant stigma and that is next to impossible to change or break through that. Sad but true.

Old 01-07-2016, 09:35 AM

2,157 posts, read 2,692,656 times
It's just not women who face sh** out of luck in their 50s. Men as well. I have worked for many company because I'm a job hopper and I have no loyalty whatsoever. Every single company that I have worked for, I have seen a lot of older people getting fired or laid off not because they couldn't do the job anymore, they just became too old and too expensive to keep. I have seen managers, district managers, regional managers all got fired and it has nothing to do with job performance because when many of them were fired, whatever/wherever they were in charge of was very productive. So, no way in hell, it was performance related.

I'm a true believer in having multiple stream of income. I don't care how great you are. How deep inside you are in the inner circle. How much money you make. How important you are to your company. How high your position is. No one is safe unless you are the owner AND a private company. If you are smart, you better start building a few side income for yourself to one day prepare yourself to be next.

I knew people who build multiple side income besides just their 9-5 jobs. I knew teachers who own other local businesses in town. I knew mechanics who do side gigs and have a good client base. I knew people in construction did the same thing. People who did taxes on the side. These people all have good client base. And so forth.

When the time to came to where they no longer have their 9-5 job, they weren't sweating. They were okay because their side income was making enough or exceeded their day job. Some left on their own terms because their side income was making a full time income and they no longer needed to work 9-5 anymore.

Unfortunately, too many people are too lazy, too short sighted, or too naive to do something for themselves while they still can. They depend on other people to determine their fate. And fate is not kind when you were once a big shot earning a lot of money to welcoming people to Walmart at minimum wage.

Old 01-07-2016, 11:06 AM

2,183 posts, read 1,738,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calnbs View Post
It's just not women who face sh** out of luck in their 50s. Men as well. I have worked for many company because I'm a job hopper and I have no loyalty whatsoever. Every single company that I have worked for, I have seen a lot of older people getting fired or laid off not because they couldn't do the job anymore, they just became too old and too expensive to keep. I have seen managers, district managers, regional managers all got fired and it has nothing to do with job performance because when many of them were fired, whatever/wherever they were in charge of was very productive. So, no way in hell, it was performance related.

I'm a true believer in having multiple stream of income. I don't care how great you are. How deep inside you are in the inner circle. How much money you make. How important you are to your company. How high your position is. No one is safe unless you are the owner AND a private company. If you are smart, you better start building a few side income for yourself to one day prepare yourself to be next.

I knew people who build multiple side income besides just their 9-5 jobs. I knew teachers who own other local businesses in town. I knew mechanics who do side gigs and have a good client base. I knew people in construction did the same thing. People who did taxes on the side. These people all have good client base. And so forth.

When the time to came to where they no longer have their 9-5 job, they weren't sweating. They were okay because their side income was making enough or exceeded their day job. Some left on their own terms because their side income was making a full time income and they no longer needed to work 9-5 anymore.

Unfortunately, too many people are too lazy, too short sighted, or too naive to do something for themselves while they still can. They depend on other people to determine their fate. And fate is not kind when you were once a big shot earning a lot of money to welcoming people to Walmart at minimum wage.
Job hopper? Interesting coming from someone who claims they are an employer in another thread.

Old 01-07-2016, 12:50 PM

2,157 posts, read 2,692,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jma501 View Post
Job hopper? Interesting coming from someone who claims they are an employer in another thread.
Yes, in my 20+ years since out of High School, I have hopped from jobs to jobs. Company to company, always going for the highest pay. And now, I am on my own because I have realize that I will never be satisfied working for someone else. Is that a crime to go out on my own and start my own business? Some people are born to work for others, I am not one of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or