U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2016, 10:53 AM

1,246 posts, read 2,988,715 times

Advertisements

The catch-22 often is that women in their 40s and 50s cannot "just go," as they have children in school, or older family members with health issues who rely on them. (I, personally, would love to move out of my city which has few job opportunities even for the "desirables," but I'm pretty much the only support system for my elderly relatives here. And I don't even have kids to worry about)

Let me tell you, if I ever won the Powerball, one thing I would do with the money would be to create a local foundation that offered scholarships AND support to "women of that certain age" who were caregivers (especially single or divorced women). I don't understand why wealthier women don't help out other women their age in that way.

Wouldn't it be cool if we could do that WITHOUT winning Powerball. Why not?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2016, 11:32 AM

3,139 posts, read 3,510,190 times
This is an excellent point and one that I am now facing as my partner of 25 years just suffered a stroke. Right now she is in rehab, but when she returns home I will be her only caregiver and need to also bring in some income. I have a part-time evening job that hopefully I will be able to work and still maintain us. Powerball? Oh I wish. I would do so much good with that money!

Old 01-12-2016, 09:39 PM

23,587 posts, read 17,582,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erauso1592 View Post
Moving? Yea ok...
You need $$$$ to move. You need to already have a place to live in to move. Prefer to go to a roach infested motel in some unknown town/city? Going to live out of your car maybe? Good luck with that. Moving to some place with no job lined up? Good luck...
It's not a great choice, but if you've been unemployed for years and are clearly going nowhere, how many options do you have?

I am from Tennessee and was making $10.50/hr three years ago. I tried for about a year to find a decent job, in the South to start then expanded nationally over the last six months. I didn't find anything meaningful for about a year. Fortunately, I did find good paying work, but I was probably less than three months from bankruptcy and simply driving to Texas and getting whatever I could find and rebuild my life there.

For me, doing whatever I could in Houston (I didn't think I'd make any less than where I was) was infinitely preferable to being stuck in Tennessee at $10/hr indefinitely. I'd shower at truck stops, live out of my car, whatever it took to do better than the nothing I was doing back home.

Old 01-21-2016, 01:11 PM

4,017 posts, read 8,645,117 times
I'm going to make an unpopular statement.

It's not your age. It's your attitude.

And before everyone gets their panties in a wad, I'm female and I'm 58.

I have no problem getting work. In addition, the majority of my clients are younger than I am. Age has not been a problem. They love my experience, I love their energy and their willingness to think outside the box (and I'm usually the one suggesting the change/improvement/software/service, not them). At the tax office I work at, the office manager is 25. She's awesome. We love working together. Our respective ages have not been a problem.

You have to get past the age excuse in your mind and learn to sell yourself based on skill set and what you can bring to the job/employer/company/client. Enthusiasm can go a long way in getting an older applicant hired. And when you're enthused and interested, it also comes across as high energy, which can negate the impression of "old".

Another key selling point is technology. Millenials are big on social media, but not so hot about learning new technologies or software (my experience anyway). Social media only goes so far in the workplace. The more tech and software I learn, the more valuable I am to an employer. And the less old that knowledge makes me look.

Old 01-21-2016, 01:19 PM

1,039 posts, read 776,326 times
They also compete with Mom who left to raise kids. My wife was a VP at JP Morgan, In 2001 she left work to be a stay at home Mom. When my youngest goes to college she plans on going back to work. But in reality that is the year 2024.

What would you do if a women came into your office who had not worked in 23 years. Now my wife to get back in would do any type of work, even at almost min wage. She is super bright and educated.

And there are tons and tons of her in their early 50s to early 60s who left work force in their 30s wanting to come back to work.

So why would I lets say hire a 56 year old career women laid off 3-4 years ago looking for work who racked up tons of debt and needs a big salary vs a 56 year old women who was a big shot educated top performer who left work 20 years earlier who is willing to work for almost nothing to get back into workplace.

That is a big issue with 50 something women looking. Cheap competition.

Old 01-21-2016, 01:25 PM

1,039 posts, read 776,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Maybe in the future there could be a law that states that you cannot see someone's age or face until after a job offer then companies are allowed to see the person's profile then we can get away from discrimination.

Even men at 50+ have a hard time getting hired.
We have that at work. But with Linkedin, Facebook etc I usually see something first. Other issue which I face and I am no spring chicken. Lets say a cool internet start up company is hiring. Bunch of 20 something kids, beer pong, working long hours, little benefits start up type place. Last thing they want is a middle age guy, with a few kids, stay at home wife who lives in surburbs. I would not fit in.

Also We Live/We Work is a new firm for start up that rents office space and above office space is studio apts to entice new graduates to live above work. Only studios. Saturday night nine pm, hey a status meeting and a pub crawl the boss who is 27 rallies his 23 year olds. They dont want to call Dad. AKA me to come along.

They also dont want medical issues of old folks. Claims hurt.

Bottom line you hire a painter, plumber, gardener for your house, the younger, healthy and cheaper guy you hire. Would you hire 55 year old you to go on roof at $40 bucks and hour or 25 year old you at $20 bucks a hour.

Old 01-21-2016, 01:31 PM

21,697 posts, read 23,672,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DelightfulNYC View Post
They also compete with Mom who left to raise kids. My wife was a VP at JP Morgan, In 2001 she left work to be a stay at home Mom. When my youngest goes to college she plans on going back to work. But in reality that is the year 2024.

What would you do if a women came into your office who had not worked in 23 years. Now my wife to get back in would do any type of work, even at almost min wage. She is super bright and educated.

And there are tons and tons of her in their early 50s to early 60s who left work force in their 30s wanting to come back to work.

So why would I lets say hire a 56 year old career women laid off 3-4 years ago looking for work who racked up tons of debt and needs a big salary vs a 56 year old women who was a big shot educated top performer who left work 20 years earlier who is willing to work for almost nothing to get back into workplace.

That is a big issue with 50 something women looking. Cheap competition.
I never thought of that. Interesting point. In my case, I never stopped working from age 20 to age retirement. I always breezed through interviews, kept my skills up to date and read the latest on how to interview. I had great interviews in fact for the most part. But the youngsters began beating me out when I turned 50.

My reasons for needing a new job were mostly due to layoffs as the companies I had been working for folded. I never asked for big salaries and was by no means in debt but I can see where you are coming from.

From my observations working within various companies, they tend to get rid of long term employees as they reach their 50's so they don't want to hire the same to replace them.

I am of course speaking in generalizations and from my own experiences. No doubt this is not the situation everywhere.

Old 01-24-2016, 05:46 PM

Quote:
You have to get past the age excuse in your mind and learn to sell yourself based on skill set and what you can bring to the job/employer/company/client.
I don't know why you think people over 50 AREN'T doing that. That's basic job hunting 101.

But when you can't even get past a computer due to the date on your college degree (which they insist you enter), then your advice really doesn't help, does it?

Let's remember that the younger competition is also cheap, because they have big college debts which they'll be paying off for the next 20 years.

Old 01-24-2016, 05:47 PM

403 posts, read 316,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeromeville View Post
I don't know why you think people over 50 AREN'T doing that. That's basic job hunting 101.

But when you can't even get past a computer due to the date on your college degree (which they insist you enter), then your advice really doesn't help, does it?
Then that means you eliminate the date on your college degree.

Old 01-24-2016, 05:52 PM

No, most online applications I've encountered do NOT let you remove the date from your college degree. You are required to enter a date. So it's either enter the real date, or lie about the date. I'm not into lying about dates and numbers on resumes, sorry...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or