Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2016, 06:42 PM

403 posts, read 472,648 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeromeville View Post
No, most online applications I've encountered do NOT let you remove the date from your college degree. You are required to enter a date. So it's either enter the real date, or lie about the date. I'm not into lying about dates and numbers on resumes, sorry...
Well focus on jobs that doesn't involve online applications.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2016, 06:51 PM

1,359 posts, read 1,805,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by te3t View Post
Well focus on jobs that doesn't involve online applications.
The vast majority of jobs REQUIRE that you apply online. You are severely limiting yourself by ignoring jobs that have online apps.

Old 01-24-2016, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melodica View Post
The vast majority of jobs REQUIRE that you apply online. You are severely limiting yourself by ignoring jobs that have online apps.
Not all of them

Idealist.org
Indeed.com
craigslist.org
Local State Career center

Old 01-24-2016, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Not all of them

Idealist.org
Indeed.com
craigslist.org
Local State Career center
I use Indeed.com all the time and a ton of the jobs there direct you to ONLINE applications. Many Craigslist ads do as well.

Old 01-24-2016, 07:26 PM

Quote:
I use Indeed.com all the time and a ton of the jobs there direct you to ONLINE applications. Many Craigslist ads do as well.
Yes but focus on the ones that only require you to email someone directly.

Old 01-24-2016, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Yes but focus on the ones that only require you to email someone directly.
And miss out on a huge amount of jobs requiring an online app that might not even care about when you got your degree.

Old 01-24-2016, 07:40 PM

Quote:
And miss out on a huge amount of jobs requiring an online app that might not even care about when you got your degree.
Well I never liked online applications and never applied to those type of jobs because the process was too long. So you have to do what is best for you in the job search process and for me that was jobs that allowed you to apply by sending a direct email.

Old 01-24-2016, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Well I never liked online applications and never applied to those type of jobs because the process was too long. So you have to do what is best for you in the job search process and for me that was jobs that allowed you to apply by sending a direct email.
And whatever works for you is fine. I don't complete some online apps because I don't want to give my SSN to an employer before I'm hired - but I also acknowledge that it DOES limit my prospects.

Old 01-24-2016, 07:45 PM

29,506 posts, read 22,616,067 times
Listing college dates is just one tool for employers to discriminate against older people.

The thing is, may adults have gotten their degrees later in life, so by itself graduation dates can be misleading.

That's where job history comes in.

Old 01-24-2016, 07:47 PM

Quote:
And whatever works for you is fine. I don't complete some online apps because I don't want to give my SSN to an employer before I'm hired - but I also acknowledge that it DOES limit my prospects.
The request for SSN and the long process was the reason I stayed away from those online applications.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search