U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-02-2016, 05:09 PM

4,868 posts, read 7,363,138 times

Advertisements

I'm currently employed but I am ready to search for a new position and expand on my experience. So as I'm trying to update my resume, I'm confused about how to explain my current company. Basically, I've been at the same place the last 2 years, but we had layoffs in Aug. of 2014 and were acquired by a 3rd party contractor. I do the exact same work and for the same company but through a 3rd party.

How do I outline this? do I have to separate out the different companies?

Thank you in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2016, 05:46 PM

2,719 posts, read 4,403,272 times
I would still keep your old company name but I would break it apart after August 2014 with 3rd party acquisition. For recent experience, I would put the same old company name but would put in parentheses something like "Through xx(the name of contractor) contract"

Or you can use the new company name from August 2014 and then in parenthesis I would put "YY Contractor), YY is your original company.

We come across many times when we hire IT contractors who use to do the job through contractors and now join our company. Your case is the exact opposite. The work remain very similar.

Old 01-02-2016, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pragmaticus View Post
I would still keep your old company name but I would break it apart after August 2014 with 3rd party acquisition. For recent experience, I would put the same old company name but would put in parentheses something like "Through xx(the name of contractor) contract"

Or you can use the new company name from August 2014 and then in parenthesis I would put "YY Contractor), YY is your original company.

We come across many times when we hire IT contractors who use to do the job through contractors and now join our company. Your case is the exact opposite. The work remain very similar.
Thank you! that's very helpful! would this rule of thumb also apply in the medical field do you think?

Old 01-02-2016, 06:23 PM

I don't see why it won't work for a medical field.

Old 01-02-2016, 08:19 PM

30 posts, read 84,833 times
From what I have learned by trying to get hired by a new corporation is that you need to have persuasive resume to amaze the hiring manager(s). I use to have a suckiest resume until I found an online company that helped me write a persuasive resume.

I paid a company to write me a persuasive resume to get the hiring manager's attention. It took the writer three days to complete and handed over to me. After few days later from posting my resume on careerbuilder, I received a call from this one company in the East Coast.

I had two interviews with them and got hired in Dec/2015. This year I am moving to a new state and start working for my new company.

If you are interested I will tell you the name of the online company that helped me to write a good resume.

Old 01-02-2016, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mragsa View Post
From what I have learned by trying to get hired by a new corporation is that you need to have persuasive resume to amaze the hiring manager(s). I use to have a suckiest resume until I found an online company that helped me write a persuasive resume.

I paid a company to write me a persuasive resume to get the hiring manager's attention. It took the writer three days to complete and handed over to me. After few days later from posting my resume on careerbuilder, I received a call from this one company in the East Coast.

I had two interviews with them and got hired in Dec/2015. This year I am moving to a new state and start working for my new company.

If you are interested I will tell you the name of the online company that helped me to write a good resume.
I've had hiring managers tell me they're impressed with my resume in the past, but if I run into trouble this time around, I'd for sure like the help. What is their information? I struggle the most with cover letters, simply because I have a hard time figuring out what to write in them.

One of my now former coworkers showed me her resume that got her hired at a way better company with almost double pay. It wasn't very impressive. her cover letter was though. She also has 15 years of experience in my field so I'm sure that all helped her case.

I'm planning on going the career builder route since a lot of former coworkers found their new jobs that way (with a big raise from it too). Seems like its a good place to job search.

Also, congrats on your new position and start of a new life. Must be so exciting!

Old 01-03-2016, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mir86 View Post
I've had hiring managers tell me they're impressed with my resume in the past, but if I run into trouble this time around, I'd for sure like the help. What is their information? I struggle the most with cover letters, simply because I have a hard time figuring out what to write in them.

One of my now former coworkers showed me her resume that got her hired at a way better company with almost double pay. It wasn't very impressive. her cover letter was though. She also has 15 years of experience in my field so I'm sure that all helped her case.

I'm planning on going the career builder route since a lot of former coworkers found their new jobs that way (with a big raise from it too). Seems like its a good place to job search.

Also, congrats on your new position and start of a new life. Must be so exciting!
Think of your cover letter in terms of what could I distill out from my resume and would make the reader to want to read my resume. Think of the cable TV's news bite (cover letter) they tell you before a commercial break so that you stick around to listen to them about the whole story (resume). Or they come in the commercial break and tell you a bite. You would be sitting through the commercial to listen to them-a proven technique to hold on to people's attention.

Make sure you don't repeat word for word or phrase for phrase of what's in your resume but highlight what you have or provide additional info that is not covered by resume as a complementary (this one is easy when someone has a lot of experience and don't want their resume to be too long like your coworker). Your cover letter should be "bites" that make one to read your resume as well as introduce them to information that when they see it again in your resume in detail it will stick in their head as they now are getting this information again (learning by spaced repetition).

Best of luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or