U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-02-2016, 07:00 PM

837 posts, read 1,621,667 times

Advertisements

Option 1: Current job about $190K income
- WFH 3 - 4 days a week, 30 minute rest of the time
- Great culture and people, big name company
- Exceptionally boring work / not aligned with career interests
- I could move internally but would likely reset any promotion clocks by at least a year
- Next promotion likely in 1 year or so, total income probably jumps to about $230K

Option 2: New job, $250K - $275K income with $25K increases built in for 5 years through stock plan (so in 5 years it's more like $350K - $400K)
- WFH 1 day a week likely; 1 hour commute each way rest of the time
- Work more aligned with interests
- Firm is massive but an unknown name
- Job likely to be more demanding in general

Thinking of taking job 2 - only downside is the commute. (I'm trying to convince my wife that if I spend $300 a week on uber its no big deal considering the bump in pay). Has anyone made this kind of trade off before and regretted it? Or not regretted it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2016, 07:17 PM

789 posts, read 1,688,130 times
Since I'm assuming that at this point the money is not the most important factor, I would lean more towards job #2. While the difference in commute and WFH is a big downside, the fact that the work is more aligned with your interests would hopefully outweigh that. Any feel for the culture at the new company? With working in the office just about every day, this will be very important. Clearly you're unhappy in your current position. You're bored. The great culture and money aren't enough to ignore that you don't love what you're doing anymore. Are you able to use public transportation for part of your commute? I have found that this is much less stressful than driving, and can help take the sting out of the longer commute. You can use that time to read, sleep, listen to music, pay your bills, etc. If you're driving, consider how long you're willing to make that sort of commute. It can be stressful and grow old quickly. And carefully consider the culture at the new company. You have to love the job and the company/people. But assuming you've researched the company, reached out to your network for insider information on what it's like to work there, and have a good feeling based on your interviews, I'd go with the option #2. Good luck!

Old 01-03-2016, 08:56 PM

13,343 posts, read 17,501,179 times
"Firm is massive but an unknown name"
How can that be? unknown to whom?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or