Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2016, 01:50 PM

5 posts, read 27,484 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone any Hr people here? needed some advice trying to get into a great company I am currently in the background check stage by a 3rd party. Unfortunately I have been working under the table and that's why I'm trying to get this new job anyway but they are asking for paystub. Obviously I do not have one so not sure what to do I'm afraid to tell then it's under the table.. I mean I could get my boss to give me a few company checks from the date there asking he wouldn't have problem with that but not sure if they would accept it instead of paystub. .. Or I can Fugazi a paystub lots of way to do it on internet which I rather not do.. I really need this job and are trying everything to be on the books with a good job etc. Any help would be highly appreciated thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2016, 02:52 PM

2,563 posts, read 3,681,887 times
If you already told them you worked for Company XYZ but now you can't produce pay stubs, you may have a problem. Depending on the company, they may want to hire you anyway. Usually, the security check people just do the investigating. The company makes the final decision. I wouldn't lie about it at this point.

Old 01-05-2016, 03:20 PM

What you think about company checks? Thanks in advance

Old 01-05-2016, 09:25 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,980,118 times
The issue is we don't know the extent of the verification your potential employer is going to conduct. They may want a paystub so they can ask for the corresponding W-2 or 1099 to see if you get tripped up. The main problem you have is you started off with a lie and now you have to pile more dishonesty on the original lie and sooner or later it may all come crashing down on you.

Had you simply said you were paid as an independent contractor for the work you did, they would probably ask for your last 1099; something the former employer would probably be willing to do. But to start creating fake W-2 employment, that's something a good business with a good employment verification service will catch.

Old 01-06-2016, 09:30 AM

275 posts, read 185,558 times
Usually the background check companies just call the former company and ask the owner/ HR / manager for employment verification, verbally or in an email, not a paystub. If they ask for a paystub is because the company has not been able or willing to verify your employment. Do you know if that's the case?

Old 01-06-2016, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nam2015 View Post
Usually the background check companies just call the former company and ask the owner/ HR / manager for employment verification, verbally or in an email, not a paystub. If they ask for a paystub is because the company has not been able or willing to verify your employment. Do you know if that's the case?
Its because they don't call a company your currently working for....I was honest with them hopefully they can respect that and see Im trying to do the right thing fingers crossed

Old 01-06-2016, 10:54 PM

3,657 posts, read 3,287,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyhill View Post
Hey everyone any Hr people here? needed some advice trying to get into a great company I am currently in the background check stage by a 3rd party. Unfortunately I have been working under the table and that's why I'm trying to get this new job anyway but they are asking for paystub. Obviously I do not have one so not sure what to do I'm afraid to tell then it's under the table.. I mean I could get my boss to give me a few company checks from the date there asking he wouldn't have problem with that but not sure if they would accept it instead of paystub. .. Or I can Fugazi a paystub lots of way to do it on internet which I rather not do.. I really need this job and are trying everything to be on the books with a good job etc. Any help would be highly appreciated thanks
Ask if your boss can simply provide an employment history letter since your compensation was as an independent contractor even though it was full time with the start date. This is just for a background check, it isn't an IRS audit. They only care that you actually worked there and the rate of pay. The 3rd party just wants to get this done.

Old 01-06-2016, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
The issue is we don't know the extent of the verification your potential employer is going to conduct. They may want a paystub so they can ask for the corresponding W-2 or 1099 to see if you get tripped up. The main problem you have is you started off with a lie and now you have to pile more dishonesty on the original lie and sooner or later it may all come crashing down on you.

Had you simply said you were paid as an independent contractor for the work you did, they would probably ask for your last 1099; something the former employer would probably be willing to do. But to start creating fake W-2 employment, that's something a good business with a good employment verification service will catch.
I think the OP should clarify the work was as an independent contractor even though he worked there full time since the company was his only client and will get the 1099 from the employer.

I agree, don't lie about anything and don't create fake documents. If the employer creates a document for you, then they are the ones creating it not you. It's kind of like the chain of custody, you hand off the 1099 from the employer directly to the 3rd patty background check company.

Old 01-06-2016, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nam2015 View Post
A friend of mine just went through a background check for a job, and told me they also wanted a paycheck stub from the previous employer even though they were able to verify the employment by phone. I think they just find it easier to get this from the candidate than a previous employer who might not give them all the information they want. Paper documents rule, even if you end up faxing them.

Old 01-14-2016, 01:02 AM

11 posts, read 24,765 times
Default Verifications

Mikey:
I don't really understand why under the table pay would be such an issue, especially when you are framing it as a situation you are improving upon through seeking full time employment.

I would have the employer write a brief basic letter on company letterhead with start and end dates and basic job title with rate of pay, pt or ft.

These 3rd party verifications are very intrusive. Probably trying to find gaps in work history more than income
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search