U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2016, 01:42 PM

2,319 posts, read 1,854,778 times

Advertisements

I feel my resume isnt formatted very well. I also am not sure if I give more detail then I should or not enough. I will post below my resume format. Would love critique and better ways to list it out.

Also, does everyone always give a cover letter regardless the job?

Resume for (my full name)
(city address)
(Phone #)

Education
(College name)
(Years and course studied)

(High school name)
Years, diploma recieved

Work History
(Company name) (ending pay)
(Location and position)
Job duties
Reason for leaving
this is the standard format for employment, should I include the ending pay, anything I should add? Also, I have 5 jobs I list here, is that to much? Sometimes one past job will not even be something worth showing as it wont apply towards the job im seeking. Should I still list it? 2 are self employed jobs I do/did, should I list those?

References
(Name)
(City, phone #)
(Relation and years known)
I list 3 here, 2 past managers and a past coworker.

Skills
I list out in bullet points skills like web design, advanced computer knowledge, customer service, ect. Should I have this here or is this more for the cover letter?

I am going over it carefully and looking to make changes where needed, if needed. Is how I have it presentable? Should I change/add/leave out anything?

I actually had an interview today but will probably not accept the job due to several reasons. The search continues!

Last edited by Icemodeled; 01-06-2016 at 01:52 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2016, 03:08 PM

3,460 posts, read 2,199,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icemodeled View Post
I feel my resume isnt formatted very well. I also am not sure if I give more detail then I should or not enough. I will post below my resume format. Would love critique and better ways to list it out.

Also, does everyone always give a cover letter regardless the job?

Resume for (my full name)
(city address)
(Phone #)

Education
(College name)
(Years and course studied)

(High school name)
Years, diploma recieved

Work History
(Company name) (ending pay)
(Location and position)
Job duties
Reason for leaving
this is the standard format for employment, should I include the ending pay, anything I should add? Also, I have 5 jobs I list here, is that to much? Sometimes one past job will not even be something worth showing as it wont apply towards the job im seeking. Should I still list it? 2 are self employed jobs I do/did, should I list those?

References
(Name)
(City, phone #)
(Relation and years known)
I list 3 here, 2 past managers and a past coworker.

Skills
I list out in bullet points skills like web design, advanced computer knowledge, customer service, ect. Should I have this here or is this more for the cover letter?

I am going over it carefully and looking to make changes where needed, if needed. Is how I have it presentable? Should I change/add/leave out anything?

I actually had an interview today but will probably not accept the job due to several reasons. The search continues!
Reason for leaving and references don't belong as a resume. Put "References available" instead.

As for the work history, list accomplishments, not just job duties.

Old 01-06-2016, 03:53 PM

9,778 posts, read 16,979,525 times
I have never seen a resume with a high school listed. Don't put ending salary or reason for leaving. Are the previous five jobs related to the position you are applying for? A resume should be tailored for the position you are applying for; it is not a complete employment history. Did you do an internships while in college? If you list references, put them at the end. As noted above, you don't need to list them unless they are specifically asked for.

Old 01-06-2016, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
I have never seen a resume with a high school listed. Don't put ending salary or reason for leaving. Are the previous five jobs related to the position you are applying for? A resume should be tailored for the position you are applying for; it is not a complete employment history. Did you do an internships while in college? If you list references, put them at the end. As noted above, you don't need to list them unless they are specifically asked for.
I missed that "ending pay". I agree, don't list salary.

Old 01-06-2016, 08:43 PM

Thank you, exactly what I needed to know! I will be making quite a few changes based on suggestions. I thought I had to list out all previous jobs and glad to know thats not nessesary if it doesnt have to do with the position im seeking. If there are gaps in employment, is there a certain area I should address that in?

Also, should I always include a cover letter? Is the cover letter where I put skills and reason I would be good for the job? Thats what I understand it to be. Is a cover letter good to include regardless of the job?

Old 01-06-2016, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Thank you, exactly what I needed to know! I will be making quite a few changes based on suggestions. I thought I had to list out all previous jobs and glad to know thats not nessesary if it doesnt have to do with the position im seeking. If there are gaps in employment, is there a certain area I should address that in?

Also, should I always include a cover letter? Is the cover letter where I put skills and reason I would be good for the job? Thats what I understand it to be. Is a cover letter good to include regardless of the job?
Don't do anything to call attention to gaps in employment. So your Work History would look something like this:

123 Inc. (1/15 - 4/15)
XYZ Inc. (7/15 - 11/15)

Then as time goes on, the more years experience you have, you can leave off the months entirely and just put in the years like this:

The Company Inc. (2011-2014)
That Company Inc. (2009-2011)
And in a few years, you could leave off 123 Inc entirely unless it pertains to the specific job you are applying for.

If in the application process online there is a place for you to include a cover letter than do this. But don't write a generic cover letter to include with the resume each time. Cover letters are most effective when you have a specific person to send them to such as a hiring manager. If you find out about a job, and there is an e-mail address, the body of your e-mail functions as the cover letter and have attached to it your resume in PDF and/or Microsoft Word format. If they don't specify a format, send it as a PDF so they can easily view it. If they want it in Word, they will ask you for it.

Old 01-07-2016, 11:28 AM

Thank you eastcoast!

I pasted below my updated and more detailed cover letter plus resume for critique. I obviously left out persinal info. I wrote it as if im applying to a office administrative position. Any additonal advice is very welcomed and appreciated! Cover letter first, then resume is after.

Dear Sir/Madam,

I write this as a response to the office assistant position advertised online. I have read the requirements needed and am confident that I would be a perfect fit for the position due to my skills and experience. I have encosed my complete resume which explains in detail my experience and why i would be a match for your company.

I have a strong customer relations background involving around day to day office tasks, advanced phone use, sales, program and web development including Microsoft, Fiserv, Encore and photoshop systems. I am punctual, organized and can handle multiple assignments at once. I have a strong work record and have references readily available by request.

I thank you for your time and consideration. I would be available to speak over the phone or interview at your convienence. You may reach me at phone# or email XYZ.

Sincerely,
My name

Resume for:
My name
address
phone

Summary
Accomplished and motivated Office Assistant with an exceptional customer service background. Professional demeanor, communication and interpersonal skills while being proficient to learn new tasks and procedures.

Highlights
- Microsoft office, word, excel, photoshop, outlook experience and web development.
- Strong clerical skills, answering multi line phone system and directing calls.
- Appointment setting, spreadsheet use, routine data entry and typing skills.
- Extensive years in customer service and relations.
- Cash handling procedures, entry logs and management.
- Filing, faxing, mailing and other office support tasks.

Experience
Property Manager (address)
2012-Present Owner/Manager
- Record keeping, data entry, answering calls
- Customer service procedures
- Managing maintenance calls and issues

Company name (address)
2012-2013 Route Owner
- Managing sales and order tickets
- Data entry, customer service, sales
- Ordering and verifying product

Bank name (address)
2010-2012 ATM/Vault Teller
- Filing, encoding, spreadsheets, setting appointments
- Answering and directing calls
- Meeting routine sales goals

Education
Community College
2007-2009 (address)
not sure what to add here, I mostly took some basic courses, business class ect. I left off high school as suggested

I left out ending pay and reason left but kept job duties, formatted it differently. I know it was suggested I leave them off, but is how I have it ok? Or do I still have to much info..?

Old 01-07-2016, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Thank you eastcoast!

I pasted below my updated and more detailed cover letter plus resume for critique. I obviously left out persinal info. I wrote it as if im applying to a office administrative position. Any additonal advice is very welcomed and appreciated! Cover letter first, then resume is after.

Dear Sir/Madam,

I write this as a response to the office assistant position advertised online. I have read the requirements needed and am confident that I would be a perfect fit for the position due to my skills and experience. I have encosed my complete resume which explains in detail my experience and why i would be a match for your company.

I have a strong customer relations background involving around day to day office tasks, advanced phone use, sales, program and web development including Microsoft, Fiserv, Encore and photoshop systems. I am punctual, organized and can handle multiple assignments at once. I have a strong work record and have references readily available by request.

I thank you for your time and consideration. I would be available to speak over the phone or interview at your convienence. You may reach me at phone# or email XYZ.

Sincerely,
My name

Resume for:
My name
address
phone

Summary
Accomplished and motivated Office Assistant with an exceptional customer service background. Professional demeanor, communication and interpersonal skills while being proficient to learn new tasks and procedures.

Highlights
- Microsoft office, word, excel, photoshop, outlook experience and web development.
- Strong clerical skills, answering multi line phone system and directing calls.
- Appointment setting, spreadsheet use, routine data entry and typing skills.
- Extensive years in customer service and relations.
- Cash handling procedures, entry logs and management.
- Filing, faxing, mailing and other office support tasks.

Experience
Property Manager (address)
2012-Present Owner/Manager
- Record keeping, data entry, answering calls
- Customer service procedures
- Managing maintenance calls and issues

Company name (address)
2012-2013 Route Owner
- Managing sales and order tickets
- Data entry, customer service, sales
- Ordering and verifying product

Bank name (address)
2010-2012 ATM/Vault Teller
- Filing, encoding, spreadsheets, setting appointments
- Answering and directing calls
- Meeting routine sales goals

Education
Community College
2007-2009 (address)
not sure what to add here, I mostly took some basic courses, business class ect. I left off high school as suggested

I left out ending pay and reason left but kept job duties, formatted it differently. I know it was suggested I leave them off, but is how I have it ok? Or do I still have to much info..?
You should check grammar and spelling on your cover letter. It needs to be perfect.

For Education, list your major if it pertains to the job you are applying for. List the highlight of course which have titles that look like they have something to do with the job you are applying for. For example, if the course was Introduction to Accounting 101, Graphic Design, etc. list them as a highlight. If the course is Social Studies 101, don't list that unless it is a job working in a sociology department.

Listing them as a highlight, you do this. For example you took courses such as: Accounting 101, Finance 201, Introduction to Office Management. Don't list each course as the college titled them. A highlight would be on the resume: Completed course work in Accounting, Finance and Office Management.

If you graduated with a degree, then list something like A.A. Business Administration or whatever way the college has exactly titled the degree. You want that exact unlike the course names, because when they call to verify the degree or what you majored in you want it to match up with what the college's records office has.

If you didn't graduate with a degree do this:
A.A. Business Administration, candidate

Even if you didn't complete the degree, you are still a candidate for it. If you have a year you expect to graduate put the year in like this:
A.A. Business Administration (2017 candidate)

Now before you say you are out of money and won't finish the degree, you don't know that as a forever thing. People come back 20 years later and finish a degree. The point is, this leaves open the idea you may finish it. If the employer has tuition benefits then all the better.

Old 01-08-2016, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastguyz View Post
You should check grammar and spelling on your cover letter. It needs to be perfect.

For Education, list your major if it pertains to the job you are applying for. List the highlight of course which have titles that look like they have something to do with the job you are applying for. For example, if the course was Introduction to Accounting 101, Graphic Design, etc. list them as a highlight. If the course is Social Studies 101, don't list that unless it is a job working in a sociology department.

Listing them as a highlight, you do this. For example you took courses such as: Accounting 101, Finance 201, Introduction to Office Management. Don't list each course as the college titled them. A highlight would be on the resume: Completed course work in Accounting, Finance and Office Management.

If you graduated with a degree, then list something like A.A. Business Administration or whatever way the college has exactly titled the degree. You want that exact unlike the course names, because when they call to verify the degree or what you majored in you want it to match up with what the college's records office has.

If you didn't graduate with a degree do this:
A.A. Business Administration, candidate

Even if you didn't complete the degree, you are still a candidate for it. If you have a year you expect to graduate put the year in like this:
A.A. Business Administration (2017 candidate)

Now before you say you are out of money and won't finish the degree, you don't know that as a forever thing. People come back 20 years later and finish a degree. The point is, this leaves open the idea you may finish it. If the employer has tuition benefits then all the better.
Yes, absolutely will double and triple check for grammar and spelling errors, I think I posted in a rush!

Very helpful! Will word it just as you said. I didnt complete it, I got sort of cold feet about it and was worried at the time exactly what i wanted to get into. I ended up at a job i enjoyed mostly and just never finished the degree. Now, i am considering it. I have been reseaching around about financial aide and such, so I am hoping to make a decision soon. I have also seen where I could go for a year for certain certificates, not sure if thats necessary though if I get the degree.

I had one more question, is it bad to leave off your FULL address and instead just put city and state on the resume? Reason I rather leave off my address is because I occasionally send resumes out on indeed, Craigslist ect and worry about if its legit. If its through a known companys site, then no problem but otherwise im leary to include it.

Thanks again for the replys!

Last edited by Icemodeled; 01-08-2016 at 08:46 PM..

Old 01-09-2016, 04:22 AM

Quote:
I had one more question, is it bad to leave off your FULL address and instead just put city and state on the resume? Reason I rather leave off my address is because I occasionally send resumes out on indeed, Craigslist ect and worry about if its legit. If its through a known companys site, then no problem but otherwise im leary to include it.

Thanks again for the replys!
It is perfectly acceptable to leave off your home address. Like this:

John Q. Public
Anytown, NV
John_Q_Public@domain.com
(303) 555-1212

The prospective employer just wants to know if you are local or not. They don't need your home address at this point so there is no real reason to put it on the resume.

If you are concerned about your phone number being on there and/or your e-mail address, you can take care of both of those things for your job search easily and for free. Go to gmail.com and create an e-mail account there for your job search efforts. Use that e-mail address on your resume. As for the phone number, once you have created a gmail account, you can get a google voice number for free. Then put that phone number on your resume too. Again, when applying for the actually job where they want these details you can provide your home address, most used e-mail address and actual home/cell phone number.

The other very good thing about using google voice is that you can have it ring through to any phone you have control of. Which can be your cell phone or your home phone. You can also turn it off from ringing through to another phone, and you will get e-mail with the voicemail left on there.

Assuming you got gmail and google voice setup, you then set up e-mail forwarding from your gmail address so it gets sent to your most commonly read e-mail address. This way you won't have to remember to check the other gmail account all the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search