U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2016, 05:19 PM

1,013 posts, read 2,375,755 times

Advertisements

Im asking because i have a co worker who is looking for a job. She knows someone on the inside. They said to give them your resume so i can hand it to HR or the hiring person. When you know someone, does your resume automatically go to the top of the pile? Is that really the only way to get a job these days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2016, 05:24 PM

4,826 posts, read 7,280,906 times
No, that's not the only way --- unless the person handing in the resume for the job seeker is highly regarded and well-respected in the company. Other than that, the resume will go in the pile of candidates and be called.

Old 01-07-2016, 06:23 PM

9,783 posts, read 17,001,194 times
It really depends on the size of the employer, their hiring process, etc. My last couple of jobs, it really wouldn't matter at all.

Old 01-07-2016, 06:59 PM

5,157 posts, read 2,609,976 times
The answer is yes.

Just remember that whoever that passes your resume along is putting his/her reputation on the line for you.

It really does help to have someone on the inside pass your resume along. A few months ago when my company was looking for some fresh blood from the pool of recent college grads, I got 3 resumes from my old professor. I only liked 1 out of the 3 resumes and passed it along to my boss. A few weeks later, that girl was sent to my office for me to train.

She's working at another office right now. I hear they really like her work there.

Old 01-07-2016, 09:29 PM

789 posts, read 1,681,930 times
I always try to send my resume through an inside employee. Obviously the higher up the better, but any internal reference is still better than none at all. I work for a large national company, and if someone internally submits a resume the candidate will almost always get at least a courtesy interview.

Old 01-07-2016, 10:08 PM

8,598 posts, read 11,088,073 times
It may not get you to the top of the pile but it's pretty much guaranteed to make the pile that makes it to the hiring person.

Old 01-08-2016, 01:08 AM

10,065 posts, read 4,675,324 times
"Know" them or "know of" them?

it's really a difference of you asking them to drop off application or if they will put in a word on your behalf...

Old 01-08-2016, 06:14 AM

1,544 posts, read 2,069,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
It may not get you to the top of the pile but it's pretty much guaranteed to make the pile that makes it to the hiring person.
Pretty much this, knowing someone may not get you the job automatically but it at least guarantees the whole "i hope my resume makes it through the filtering software to be actually seen by a person". Knowing someone usually guarantees that at the very least your resume will be looked at by an actual person- which is quite huge.

Old 01-08-2016, 11:39 AM

289 posts, read 345,157 times
I got my first job in my field through networking. I had been in contact with a person at a nonprofit who ran the volunteer program. When she couldn't find any volunteer work for me she referred me to a department that was hiring. When I mentioned this to the head of that department, he said "Oh I didn't know you had been in touch with so-and-so for so long," and he asked me to come in for an interview, which led to the job.

Old 01-08-2016, 12:33 PM

10,065 posts, read 4,675,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazeddude8 View Post
Pretty much this, knowing someone may not get you the job automatically but it at least guarantees the whole "i hope my resume makes it through the filtering software to be actually seen by a person". Knowing someone usually guarantees that at the very least your resume will be looked at by an actual person- which is quite huge.
so why don't you just drop off hard copy of resume at HR office directly? Or with the hiring manager? I've done that in past and got the jobs doing so. It isn't like you have to rely on someone just to drop off your mail/resume. Do it yourself and while there, get to know the people and what they are looking for, then at interview, you have a step up on other people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search