U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2016, 08:44 AM

12,160 posts, read 10,339,034 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
I just spent a week auditing thousands of pages of calculations. Caught some mistakes here and there.

If you can't be bothered to spend 3 measly hours to fill out an app, how can I trust you to take your time in a multi million dollar assignment?
You were paid nicely for your week I assume? Three measly hours is just the online part of entering the data into the system, this doesn't include prepping my resume and cover letter for the position. And my complaint isn't necessarily the length of time but the fact that they asked for all my background check info at the resume submittal stage. This included 10 years of address history, 10 years of job history, ss#, personal references, professional references, asked for bank account info... Don't you think this is a bit much just to introduce yourself to someone?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2016, 10:41 AM

8,791 posts, read 13,277,872 times
Quote:
I just spent a week auditing thousands of pages of calculations. Caught some mistakes here and there.

If you can't be bothered to spend 3 measly hours to fill out an app, how can I trust you to take your time in a multi million dollar assignment?
If your company can't respect the fact that applicants especially currently employed ones don't have 3 unpaid hours to waste on one app they deserve to scrape the bottom of the labor pool. Besides, if you can't design a reasonable and efficient hiring system what other fundamental aspects of business is your company Fing up?

Old 01-10-2016, 11:27 PM

5,113 posts, read 2,597,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
If your company can't respect the fact that applicants especially currently employed ones don't have 3 unpaid hours to waste on one app they deserve to scrape the bottom of the labor pool. Besides, if you can't design a reasonable and efficient hiring system what other fundamental aspects of business is your company Fing up?
Nah, my company doesn't have a 3 hour long application online process. It actually pays recruiters and headhunters to seek out qualified candidates.

I stand by what I said before. I've spent longer... much longer going through application processes to get a job. I didn't get where I am because I was too entitled to fill out a 3 hour online app.

Old 01-11-2016, 10:06 AM

8,791 posts, read 13,277,872 times
And I stand by what I said before companies with dysfunctional hiring systems probably are dysfunctional overall. But it is even more sad that a company can't handle such a straightforward business process as hiring and has to pay a recruiter tens of thousands to do that which they are too incompetent to do. I suppose that is what happens when companies place the least useful workers (HR) in charge of hiring the most useful ones.

And companies wonder why they have trouble finding talent.

Old 01-11-2016, 11:51 AM

5,113 posts, read 2,597,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
And I stand by what I said before companies with dysfunctional hiring systems probably are dysfunctional overall. But it is even more sad that a company can't handle such a straightforward business process as hiring and has to pay a recruiter tens of thousands to do that which they are too incompetent to do. I suppose that is what happens when companies place the least useful workers (HR) in charge of hiring the most useful ones.

And companies wonder why they have trouble finding talent.
You sound pretty bitter.

I'm sorry, I just haven't had the same negative experiences as you have with corporate structures. Companies I've worked for have treated me very well.

Old 01-13-2016, 10:37 AM

237 posts, read 450,671 times
I filled out a similarly long application this week. My guess was that the company had some government contracts with security restrictions, but who knows?

Old 01-13-2016, 10:44 AM

6,226 posts, read 6,840,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melodica View Post
I've seen a lot that ask for SSN and address history up front. They are generally for the banks and hospitals around here, but still... why should I give an employer that info before I even interview? It's completely ridiculous.
I agree. I would not release my SS, only in person. A lot of companies do this online and they shouldn't. Stealing SS numbers is a big crooked business. Its prevalent.

Old 01-13-2016, 04:47 PM

416 posts, read 268,815 times
Yeah, no way would I give out personal information like that before being hired or offered the job.

Old 01-14-2016, 06:21 AM

2,078 posts, read 1,854,906 times
Quote:
Nah, my company doesn't have a 3 hour long application online process. It actually pays recruiters and headhunters to seek out qualified candidates.

I stand by what I said before. I've spent longer... much longer going through application processes to get a job. I didn't get where I am because I was too entitled to fill out a 3 hour online app.
It's not about entitlement. No employer should be asking for personal information up front like that unless they're making an offer.

Old 01-14-2016, 11:14 AM

3,721 posts, read 3,917,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deposite View Post
It's not about entitlement. No employer should be asking for personal information up front like that unless they're making an offer.
I agree.

I have noticed that anytime something negative about the hiring process is brought up, someone always comes along and calls it entitlement. Entitlement does not even fit in the case of filling out a ridiculous 3 hour long application. It does not make sense for a paper application (the days when employers actually read) to take much less time than an online application. Online applications are redundant and many of them are buggy and takes hours. The rant is justified in this case, but to call it entitlement because one does not want to spend hours filling out, checking boxes, uploading, taking a questionnaire, fixing errors all because the online app is buggy is ludicrous. Anyone who calls that entitlement needs their head examined. Frankly, I don't see how one has a job with such a flawed mind. Must have been hired by an idiot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search