U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2016, 05:52 AM

435 posts, read 435,362 times

Advertisements

So, my current job is sort of like golf, when you have a good round, BEST game in the work , bad play-- reconsider every life decision made up to this point.

Current job is a lead sales job that have a potential to make solid amount of money ( uncapped). However only about 30% of the sales force actually hits that target. ( I am still a newbie) At first this job was NOT what i wanted but needed the now , Its growing on me.

HOWEVER!! ( The plot thickens) I got a offer for a job for a position that I've been striving to get and is close to my house.. the downfall is the salary is LOW. While I think in long run this position is better for me , I need the money.

Take a chance with EH, position and possibility of making some serious money OR take a solid position and struggle some with money.

(If I negotiate would be a considerate amount more needed sawy 8-10K)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2016, 04:41 PM

2,865 posts, read 1,252,670 times
It sounds like you have a difficult decision to make in this case.

I cannot tell you what to do, since I am not in your situation and wouldn't tell someone else what to do with their life.

I have been in a similar situation in the past with my career, even though I am not in sales. I had a job which I was relatively new in (11 months) that paid very well but then got an offer from a company I had really been interested in joining that was offering $15,000 less a year salary wise. The job I had was okay, and I was starting to like the people and my boss. No complaints...

I think that in your situation, there are several things that might help you out with a decision. Take a long, hard look at both companies' prospects for future growth and security. This can help be a deciding factor--one may have more potential than the other. Something else to look at--your personal budget and how much salary do you really need? For example, your current job might pay $XXK +X% possible commission and the new job might pay a lower base salary with the potential commission percentage being equal, higher, or lower. Do you have savings? Some one else in the household that contributes income? If not, are you willing to cut back a bit on the non-necessities if you take the new job? Another factor which is often overlooked is which company culture seems to fit you more? Does the new job pull you more, or is the current employer satisfying you in every way?

Those are just for starters. I would urge you to think about it for a bit and then decide which is best based on your goals, personal priorities, and life circumstances.

In case you are wondering what I did in the situation I had, I did leave my employer for the job that paid $15K less a year. Why? The new company offered a better culture, the job just "fit" me better, and I liked the location better. Money isn't everything to me...

Good luck with your decision. I know this decision is a wicked hard one to make.

Old 01-13-2016, 07:00 AM

435 posts, read 435,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie Joseph View Post
It sounds like you have a difficult decision to make in this case.

I cannot tell you what to do, since I am not in your situation and wouldn't tell someone else what to do with their life.

I have been in a similar situation in the past with my career, even though I am not in sales. I had a job which I was relatively new in (11 months) that paid very well but then got an offer from a company I had really been interested in joining that was offering $15,000 less a year salary wise. The job I had was okay, and I was starting to like the people and my boss. No complaints...

I think that in your situation, there are several things that might help you out with a decision. Take a long, hard look at both companies' prospects for future growth and security. This can help be a deciding factor--one may have more potential than the other. Something else to look at--your personal budget and how much salary do you really need? For example, your current job might pay $XXK +X% possible commission and the new job might pay a lower base salary with the potential commission percentage being equal, higher, or lower. Do you have savings? Some one else in the household that contributes income? If not, are you willing to cut back a bit on the non-necessities if you take the new job? Another factor which is often overlooked is which company culture seems to fit you more? Does the new job pull you more, or is the current employer satisfying you in every way?

Those are just for starters. I would urge you to think about it for a bit and then decide which is best based on your goals, personal priorities, and life circumstances.

In case you are wondering what I did in the situation I had, I did leave my employer for the job that paid $15K less a year. Why? The new company offered a better culture, the job just "fit" me better, and I liked the location better. Money isn't everything to me...

Good luck with your decision. I know this decision is a wicked hard one to make.

Marie I truly appreciate your comment. As decisions usually go, this one is becoming easier as the days pass by.... Current job is changing much of the staying qualities that even got me to consider sticking around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or