U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 01-10-2016, 11:44 AM
 
Location: Chicago area
14,370 posts, read 7,913,715 times
Reputation: 53471

Advertisements

I've never been fired but I have a work friend that has been fired twice. He always worked two jobs and it's fortunate that he still has one job. He's been blacklisted and nobody will hire him now. My besties husband was upper management and still undergoing chemo when he was wrongfully terminated. There's a nice law suit there.

A nurse friend had a bit of a drug problem and was caught stealing meds from a hospital she worked for. They kept her on with the understanding that if she tested positive during random tests that she would be terminated. She was fired recently for testing positive, but the amount was so small that even a pilot could test positive for that amount and still fly. She's been clean for years and was not given another test to prove so. I'm sure her termination had more to do with her near death experience last year and her high medical bills then it did a false positive test result. She turned down one job because of the access to meds. She applied for another one and had a second interview.

There is hope for employment after termination, but if you're like my work friend with a big personality problem, then probably not.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-10-2016, 11:59 AM
 
Location: Oakland, CA
27,165 posts, read 29,650,120 times
Reputation: 26646
Quote:
Originally Posted by yahoo232 View Post
so you were not fired? you quit?
I didn't mention specifics. I explained why it wasn't the right place for me for where I wanted to go in my career. I also have used the incident that led to my termination as an example of how I handled a stressful situation and work mishap. No hard feelings. I had enough allies at the company to not worry about the reasons for my termination. Everyone thought and still thinks I am a great employee and the vast majority of my colleagues would serve as a reference. Even my bosses from that role.

I had been warned about something. It happened again. The culture of the company had shifted in a way that while in the past the "risk" I took would have been appreciated and it no longer was. In other organizations it wouldn't have been a big deal. I also worked at that company for several years. The way I see it is I couldn't have been that terrible if I was there for 3 years.

Getting fired didn't negate my skills or experiences. I am still and awesome employee. But I now better understand some cultural things I need for success.

But for many people I have talked to, they were surprised I lasted as long in the role/environment I did. Mostly because some aspects of the role didn't make me happy or suit my personality. I always explain all the things i learned in the role good and bad.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-10-2016, 12:01 PM
 
Location: Planet Telex
4,649 posts, read 2,287,789 times
Reputation: 4378
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
I was fired two times in my career, and both times I was very happy about it. One was a sales job that lasted only a week so I didn't even list it.
Being fired from a sales job is a lot different than getting fired from a traditional, standard office 9-5 job. Luckily, you have nothing to worry about. Best of luck to you!
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-10-2016, 01:41 PM
 
Location: In a vehicle.
5,021 posts, read 3,209,323 times
Reputation: 8203
Quote:
Originally Posted by yahoo232 View Post
how people get jobs after being fired(not layed off) ?

I see awhole bunch threads and websites teaching people how to get a job being fired (once or twice or more). they just mention that is "hard" and you just need to keep applying ,keep searching" ,networking, learn from your mistaken,etc .

That all make sense and sound nice, but at the end of the day, why would employers want to hire a damaged good when they've like 100+ other applicants with clean records. I was once a hiring manager once, if someone mentioned they got fired, I would never consider for him hire, even he had good experience and education.

I know a lot of people get fired everyday , how they recover from their career? they lied in interview/resume? open business? even if you were to switch career, they will still ask you the reason you left your job.
Not "Everyone" who is fired is fired for a "Good Reason"

The good workers can explain that they were fired for "No cause" and since many companies can now fire you for NO reason, they can do so.

If I was fired, I'd claim "Office politics" if called out on that claim, I'd show them my UI payments and tell them "If what I did was so bad to be fired, it would ALSO have affected my UI payments as you can't collect of what you did was illegal or intentional damage to company or clients or reputation"
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-10-2016, 06:33 PM
 
Location: Georgia
4,562 posts, read 4,090,588 times
Reputation: 15768
Quote:
Originally Posted by yahoo232 View Post
how people get jobs after being fired(not layed off) ?

I see awhole bunch threads and websites teaching people how to get a job being fired (once or twice or more). they just mention that is "hard" and you just need to keep applying ,keep searching" ,networking, learn from your mistaken,etc .

That all make sense and sound nice, but at the end of the day, why would employers want to hire a damaged good when they've like 100+ other applicants with clean records. I was once a hiring manager once, if someone mentioned they got fired, I would never consider for him hire, even he had good experience and education.

I know a lot of people get fired everyday , how they recover from their career? they lied in interview/resume? open business? even if you were to switch career, they will still ask you the reason you left your job.

Well, that's a pretty narrow attitude. Because, a lot of times, people are fired for reasons beyond their control. The company downsizing, being taken over by another company and relocating it, etc., etc.

I was fired once. I was in my early 30's, had just moved to a new town, and had found a job through an employment company. I was hired by the mortgage branch of a builder because of my experience with mortgages, working for a developer, and training processors and underwriters. It was a mess. I spent over two months working 12-16 hour days setting up training, cleaning out the severely backlogged pipeline, getting the underwriters re-trained in secondary market requirements, and working with the sales force to improve the mortgage application process. One day, I was brought into the VP's office and introduced to a young guy who had just married the CEO's daughter, and since he had a degree in finance, they thought he might do well in the mortgage origination department. They asked me to train him. So I started training him as a processor. Three days later, he complained to the VP that he was "bored", and the VP asked me to transfer him to underwriting. I said no, he didn't have any experience, and needed to understand the processes and the secondary market requirements before he started reviewing them. I suggested that perhaps he start working with the sales force on the loan origination end. Apparently he lasted about a week in that role, and he was back in my playground.

On the 89th day of my employment, the VP called me in and said that I was fired. I was shocked, because I had not only met, but exceeded the goals that had been set out. It was explained to me that they had to fire me "for cause" that day, or else they wouldn't get their employment agency fee back (90 day guarantee, apparently). And the son-in-law was going to be taking my place.

I had a new job in 48 hours, and in two years, I was promoted to VP of the bank, overseeing a staff of 30, and training loan officers in 70 branch offices. LOTS more money, and bonuses. :-)

Three years later, the builder's mortgage division closed down. Surprise, surprise. Best favor they ever did me was to fire me. I had enough superb references and the folks around town knew enough about that builder that it seems like being fired by them was actually a point in my favor. :-)
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-10-2016, 07:17 PM
 
Location: U.S.A., Earth
4,487 posts, read 2,876,916 times
Reputation: 4006
Quote:
Originally Posted by ialwayswin001 View Post
You lie. Almost everybody lies on their application. If they ask why you left, then you can say the assignment ended and they laid off people. I know it's risky and unethical, but it will at least get your foot in the door and help you get an interview.
This sort of lie IMO is OK, works, and is done all the time. On the flipside, I've been lied to too by companies saying they'll have work for at least a year, but soon after I started, I heard that there were issues with funding and getting enough business. A coworker who got hired via internal transfer was told that he'd continue doing software programming, with some work in databases. He ended up looking for a new job months later when it turned out, he was just glorified tech support.

There are lies that are either high risk, or straight up you shouldn't do. Lying about degrees, major, GPS, and stuff that can be verified are ones I"d lump here. It varies per company, but amongst the ones I've left (laid off and otherwise), I've been told by HR in my exit interview that when they're called to confirm things (NOTE, THIS IS NOT THE SAME THING AS PROFESSIONAL REFERENCES! That they call the people you specify who worked with you... often not HR) that when they're called, they don't want to have to deal with slander suits, so they'll only confirm dates of employment, titles, and salary.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-10-2016, 07:52 PM
 
Location: U.S.A., Earth
4,487 posts, read 2,876,916 times
Reputation: 4006
Quote:
Originally Posted by yahoo232 View Post
how people get jobs after being fired(not layed off) ?

I see awhole bunch threads and websites teaching people how to get a job being fired (once or twice or more). they just mention that is "hard" and you just need to keep applying ,keep searching" ,networking, learn from your mistaken,etc .

That all make sense and sound nice, but at the end of the day, why would employers want to hire a damaged good when they've like 100+ other applicants with clean records. I was once a hiring manager once, if someone mentioned they got fired, I would never consider for him hire, even he had good experience and education.
1) The people with clean records can come at a price.... they know they're more attractive vs. those others. As such they may want more concessions, such as higher salary, better work hours, telecommuting, etc.... concessions that an employer may not be able to give. The employer will decline an offer of employment, but then again, that "better employee" shouldn't have a hard of time going elsewhere with his better credentials

2) People understand there are definitely legit causes for being fired.
2a) first off, some people used "fired", laid off, and downsized interchangely. If so, the the others are perfectly fine reasons
2b) if we mean fired as fired, then folks have definitely bounced back from worse situations. After all, you need experience to get the job, but starting off, you didn't have the job. You did get a break at some point!
Plus, some "firings" can be petty, or otherwise sketchy. Politics, poor practices, whatever. These are otherwise good employees, and others would be happy to snatch them out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yahoo232 View Post
I know a lot of people get fired everyday , how they recover from their career? they lied in interview/resume? open business? even if you were to switch career, they will still ask you the reason you left your job.
You NEVER say you were fired. You say something like it didn't work out, it wasn't a good fit, or you position was removed (which some say is true since it was removed from you). I've heard some say they will admit to being fired. In that case, spin something that shows you learned from it, without making the previous company sound bad. Either way, go one way and stick with it.

Plus, it's not like there's a national database of who got fired, unlike criminal records, insurance claims, etc. Some companies won't say you got fired (see my other post above), or they really won't care if they're having a hard time finding someone who's a good match, needs to move to an inferior area, etc.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-10-2016, 08:19 PM
 
Location: Bran's tree
11,055 posts, read 4,857,973 times
Reputation: 12411
Sorry to hear that. But honestly, of all the people I know, almost all of them have been fired at least once, and for almost all of them, it was nothing but a blip.

Of course, I'm sure they didn't advertise that fact in interviews, but it had to have come up. Make sure you reflect on what you've learned from the experience.

And once you get that next job, your previous one won't be nearly so relevant.

For the issue of references, try reaching out to any coworkers you got along with. They count as professional references, not just your supervisor.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-10-2016, 08:29 PM
 
3,455 posts, read 2,323,199 times
Reputation: 6998
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Absolutely. Most employers can't or won't say you got fired.
True. In my last place of employment, a person got fired who was not only incompetent, but she left the office in a snit one day; just walked out on the patients. When her next potential employer called for a reference, I heard the office manager saying, "Yes, she worked here from ________ to ________." She told me later that the person calling asked if she had anything else to say about the former employee and the office manager just repeated, "She worked here from ________ to _______." I'm guessing the person on the other end drew their own conclusions, but employers are scared to say someone was fired for cause. Just easier to confirm employment dates.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-10-2016, 08:46 PM
 
9,253 posts, read 11,806,344 times
Reputation: 14509
As an employer, people get fired and rehired by others every hour of the day. people treat getting fired as if it's an execution! From my experiences, those who have been fired and face hiring issues is usually due to one of the following:

1. The person is a dolt anyways and wouldn't have gotten the job even if they were not fired. It may come as a shock but sometimes people do get fired because they are garbage employees. A new employer can see the person isn't for them and passes. It had nothing to do with the firing, you just are not what they were looking for!

2. The person tries too hard to overcome the firing with fibs and lies to the point they telegraph so much suspicion that they are not considered or the perspective employer does a bit more digging because of the suspicious mannerism of the applicant. There are way to soften the blow of a firing but some people take it to the extreme.

3. The applicant gets too emotional over the firing and instead of discussing it in mater of fact manner, they start becoming unhinged and next thing you know, its a whine fest.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top