U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-10-2016, 08:52 PM
 
Location: Buckeye, AZ
27,373 posts, read 15,811,432 times
Reputation: 9892

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
1. Have references (besides your boss) from that company
2. Have your own self guided reasons for wanting to leave
3. Understand how not to make the same mistakes again

It is not like your resume says "I was fired."

If you interview well and have a good reason for explaining the transition it is fine. I got fire pe a couple of jobs ago. I found a new one before the last day at that company. I had two offers on the table. It all worked out fine.
Try elsewhere. You can be "fired" for many reasons. If you are fired during your probationary period, essentially for no reason given on your pink slip, you should be fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-10-2016, 08:56 PM
 
Location: Oakland, CA
27,171 posts, read 29,703,335 times
Reputation: 26671
When I got fired it sped up the looking for a new process I should have already started. I was getting sick of the place anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-10-2016, 08:58 PM
 
Location: Upper Darby, PA
403 posts, read 316,927 times
Reputation: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by yahoo232 View Post
how people get jobs after being fired(not layed off) ?

I see awhole bunch threads and websites teaching people how to get a job being fired (once or twice or more). they just mention that is "hard" and you just need to keep applying ,keep searching" ,networking, learn from your mistaken,etc .

That all make sense and sound nice, but at the end of the day, why would employers want to hire a damaged good when they've like 100+ other applicants with clean records. I was once a hiring manager once, if someone mentioned they got fired, I would never consider for him hire, even he had good experience and education.

I know a lot of people get fired everyday , how they recover from their career? they lied in interview/resume? open business? even if you were to switch career, they will still ask you the reason you left your job.


1. By having a good relationship with the supervisor of the job you were fired from so u can use that person as a reference

2. Not mentioning you were fired on the job application, put "job ended" as reason for leaving

3. Presenting yourself well in your introductory voicemail when employers call

4. Presenting yourself well at the interview with your attire and attitude

5. Focusing on the skills and experience that connect to the job you are trying to get
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-11-2016, 01:45 AM
 
Location: U.S.A., Earth
4,498 posts, read 2,887,969 times
Reputation: 4013
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
For the issue of references, try reaching out to any coworkers you got along with. They count as professional references, not just your supervisor.
Well, places have asked me for managerial level professional references. They have to be your superiors, NOT coworkers, so this wouldn't cut it. However, even then it's not all that bad. Just say leave them out if you have others, or say you don't have them. If they can put 2 and 2 together, they'll piece together that you leaving the pace probably had something to do with your manager.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-11-2016, 06:31 AM
 
Location: Over yonder a piece
3,913 posts, read 4,657,143 times
Reputation: 6247
I was fired from a job in the early 1990s and got work as a temp - did it for two years before deciding I was ready to find permanent work. By that time, no one was asking why I left the job from which I had been fired two years prior.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-11-2016, 07:12 AM
 
Location: Arizona
5,510 posts, read 6,141,367 times
Reputation: 7288
I disagree with those who suggest putting "job ended" as a reason for leaving, unless you were a contractor. If I saw that on an application or heard it during an interview it would raise a red flag that the applicant was trying to hide something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-11-2016, 07:22 AM
 
Location: Purgatory
6,322 posts, read 4,767,505 times
Reputation: 9765
Quote:
Originally Posted by ackmondual View Post
Well, places have asked me for managerial level professional references. They have to be your superiors, NOT coworkers, so this wouldn't cut it. However, even then it's not all that bad. Just say leave them out if you have others, or say you don't have them. If they can put 2 and 2 together, they'll piece together that you leaving the pace probably had something to do with your manager.

I gave you as many reps as I could for your prior postings. Your comments on this issue seem the most "reality based."


If a place is pushing you for prior SUPERVISORS, then maybe get a burner and have a friend answer the phone and use your prior company's name.

Illegal? No, as long as you are not using someone elses name as your own. Unethical? Maybe. Depends on many factors like your judgment of why this person was fired, how badly they need a job, are they facing eviction, starving, etc.

Either way, would you rather support this person on SSI, UI and/or food vouchers because they were "fired?" I sure don't want to!

Desperate times call for desperate measures.....


BUT you can just say "they don't work there anymore" and that usually shuts the issue down. This is what I have done and in my case it happens to be true. I've been wrongfully terminated twice but at least so were my managers then RIGHTFULLY terminated. (Hmmm....wonder how they got new jobs.... )


I've been on both sides of the equation and can tell you that I would probably never be allowed by HR to hire someone who was ever fired for any reason in the professional "9-5 world." No one has ever told me they were but I've heard from others in my biz that they don't even like to hire people who have been laid off. (Idk why, seems kinda unfair. Maybe they think they're lying? )


And I've been wrongly terminated from 2 jobs- one for reporting sexual harassment and one for asking for an ADA accommodation and being denied.

Do you think my later employers give a FK about MY issues w these employers?? Heckz no! Half of you reading this are probably jumping to what seems like the obvious of, "Legally, you can't be fired for these things!" Well no SHT "in theory" but I'm the living proof that you obviously can.

Tell my story to potential employers and they would think, like most readers here, "there must be more to the story" and consider me a legal threat for even bringing up these 2 issues! And as a current small business owner and past hiring manager, I completely understand and respect that POV. Although not true in my case, I don't expect them to conclude that. They don't know me from Eve!


And sure, "lying" is usually grounds for termination, but dont you think you will be in a much better position to defend your initial indiscretion once you are hired and the employer sees what an excellent worker you are?

Good luck, OP!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-11-2016, 08:25 AM
 
Location: Upper Darby, PA
403 posts, read 316,927 times
Reputation: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnp292 View Post
I disagree with those who suggest putting "job ended" as a reason for leaving, unless you were a contractor. If I saw that on an application or heard it during an interview it would raise a red flag that the applicant was trying to hide something.
I put job ended on the application as a reason for leaving and was never asked about it probably because the way I presented myself overshadowed why I left the last job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-11-2016, 08:35 AM
 
Location: Clovis Strong, NM
3,376 posts, read 4,831,276 times
Reputation: 1982
For me, it all depends on why I got fired from the last job and how desperate the new place I'm applying for is for employees.
Truck driving for the most part has a pretty high turnover at some levels in the field.
For me, since my major accident is about eight years old now, over-the-road jobs are extremely easy to get, while some local/home-everyday jobs are still kind of on the so-so side of things.

I think it also helps to get whatever employment you can after the firing in order to build up some sort of buffer zone between the next job you actually want and the one you got fired from.
At least that way, the next prospective employer will at least see that you made some effort to improve yourself from the last spot you got dumped from.

They may or may not grill you about it during the interview as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-11-2016, 10:33 AM
 
Location: Los Angeles
4,788 posts, read 2,197,811 times
Reputation: 7162
Go with a temp agency. It's easier to get your foot in the door that way. They can doctor your resume and speak about you to potential employers in a way that sounds good. Then take a temp-to-hire job. If you're there and doing the work and they like you it will matter less how you left your previous position.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top