Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2016, 11:23 PM

8 posts, read 12,204 times

Advertisements

how people get jobs after being fired(not layed off) ?

I see awhole bunch threads and websites teaching people how to get a job being fired (once or twice or more). they just mention that is "hard" and you just need to keep applying ,keep searching" ,networking, learn from your mistaken,etc .

That all make sense and sound nice, but at the end of the day, why would employers want to hire a damaged good when they've like 100+ other applicants with clean records. I was once a hiring manager once, if someone mentioned they got fired, I would never consider for him hire, even he had good experience and education.

I know a lot of people get fired everyday , how they recover from their career? they lied in interview/resume? open business? even if you were to switch career, they will still ask you the reason you left your job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2016, 12:16 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,855,940 times
1. Have references (besides your boss) from that company
2. Have your own self guided reasons for wanting to leave
3. Understand how not to make the same mistakes again

It is not like your resume says "I was fired."

If you interview well and have a good reason for explaining the transition it is fine. I got fire pe a couple of jobs ago. I found a new one before the last day at that company. I had two offers on the table. It all worked out fine.

Old 01-10-2016, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
1. Have references (besides your boss) from that company
2. Have your own self guided reasons for wanting to leave
3. Understand how not to make the same mistakes again

It is not like your resume says "I was fired."

If you interview well and have a good reason for explaining the transition it is fine. I got fire pe a couple of jobs ago. I found a new one before the last day at that company. I had two offers on the table. It all worked out fine.
thats great, thank you for sharing. how you explain to your new employer when they asked "Why you left your last job"?

Old 01-10-2016, 01:59 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,855,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yahoo232 View Post
thats great, thank you for sharing. how you explain to your new employer when they asked "Why you left your last job"?
It was a job I had been at for a couple of years. I said it was time for me to move on, and that type of work and environment was not longer a good fit. I explained the "fit" issues as things that were easy to understand and would be remedied in a new environment. My interviewers were understanding as they could see how the environment wasn't a good fit for my personality. These reasons were not inflammatory to the company. I don't want to give out too much information here in the forum, but if you like I can PM you more specifics.

In my case it was't a hostile parting. I am still in touch with many former colleagues and have seen the management team since then. It has all been friendly.

Old 01-10-2016, 03:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
I said it was time for me to move on
so you were not fired? you quit?

Old 01-10-2016, 05:33 AM

363 posts, read 433,079 times
You lie. Almost everybody lies on their application. If they ask why you left, then you can say the assignment ended and they laid off people. I know it's risky and unethical, but it will at least get your foot in the door and help you get an interview.

Old 01-10-2016, 06:34 AM

12,103 posts, read 23,262,756 times
It works better when applying for companies whose background check doesn't include checking with previous employers. If a company does check with your previous employer, a number of them have policies indicating that they only confirm dates of employment. We have hired two people over the years that have been fired. They interviewed well, we spoke about the reason for their termination, we did not feel that that issue would repeat itself, and we thought they would do a good job for our organization, so we gave them a chance to prove themselves.

Old 01-10-2016, 07:13 AM

450 posts, read 596,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ialwayswin001 View Post
You lie. Almost everybody lies on their application. If they ask why you left, then you can say the assignment ended and they laid off people. I know it's risky and unethical, but it will at least get your foot in the door and help you get an interview.
Where I work if you lie just about anything they fire you. Period! They say you can't be trusted if you lie on your application or resume.

Old 01-10-2016, 07:24 AM

2,702 posts, read 2,763,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Worren View Post
Where I work if you lie just about anything they fire you. Period! They say you can't be trusted if you lie on your application or resume.
Telling an employer you got fired is shooting yourself in the foot.

Old 01-10-2016, 07:57 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,951,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ialwayswin001 View Post
Absolutely. Most employers can't or won't say you got fired. And even if they do, you haven't lost anything by lying since you didn't have the job in the first place. I don't use the "not a good fit" phrase either, since that implies you got fires or at least an unhappy parting of ways between employer and employee. I was fired two times in my career, and both times I was very happy about it. One was a sales job that lasted only a week so I didn't even list it. The other job lasted a few months. It was in a pediatric medical practice and all my previous medical experience was working with the elderly. I couldn't omit that one, so I just said I preferred working with the elderly, which was not only true, but my previous work history of many years reflected that. I didn't have a problem getting another job after each job loss.

I don't agree that it's unethical, though. Tons of people lie on their applications. If you're qualified in every other way, why shouldn't the boss hire you? Staying at a job forever shouldn't be the only criterion for hire. Besides, people can get fired for many reasons, and a lot of them are not their fault.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search