Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2016, 10:59 AM

403 posts, read 472,648 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentstrider View Post
For me, it all depends on why I got fired from the last job and how desperate the new place I'm applying for is for employees.
Truck driving for the most part has a pretty high turnover at some levels in the field.
For me, since my major accident is about eight years old now, over-the-road jobs are extremely easy to get, while some local/home-everyday jobs are still kind of on the so-so side of things.

I think it also helps to get whatever employment you can after the firing in order to build up some sort of buffer zone between the next job you actually want and the one you got fired from.
At least that way, the next prospective employer will at least see that you made some effort to improve yourself from the last spot you got dumped from.

They may or may not grill you about it during the interview as well.
Exactly, the fact that I was able to get a job in 60 days after being fired was a great thing because now the firing no longer matter since I been at this job 2 years now. No way is someone going to ask why you were let go from a job that was not your last job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2016, 11:54 AM

96 posts, read 78,368 times
When I was fired, I was given the option to resign. That was lucky for me, in that I didn't have to lie when answering the question of "have you ever been fired." However, when job searching, I still had to explain why I'd left after only having been there 8 months. I made it into a personal thing "My FIL is elderly and needed help, and once I realized that job wasn't the right fit, husband and I decided I would resign and help him while looking for a new job". It worked for me. Now that I've been at the new job for 18 months, I realize that the firing was the best thing that happened to me and that had it actually come to light, I still would have had a shot at this job. Still glad the whole situation DIDN'T come to light though!

Old 01-11-2016, 12:03 PM

12,713 posts, read 15,518,461 times
Lying saying you quit or were laid off and getting away with it to potential employers.

Old 01-11-2016, 12:43 PM

9,466 posts, read 10,793,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ialwayswin001 View Post
You lie. Almost everybody lies on their application. If they ask why you left, then you can say the assignment ended and they laid off people. I know it's risky and unethical, but it will at least get your foot in the door and help you get an interview.

Of everything said on here I would be willing to bet this is closest to the truth. Very few employers would hire someone who was fired from their last job. I am very thankful to have not been put in this position, it really puts you in a bad spot. Worse yet many terminations nowadays are for very trivial things, and the consequences of being fired are severe for future job hunts. One thing that seems true nowadays as well as ethics are out the window. Neither employers or employees seem to have the level of honesty and integrity they used to have. Now its more of an attitude of do what needs to be done for you, not do what is right. I have read that most resumes are at least partially fabricated or at least exaggerated. That means those willing to lie and cheat have moved up faster than the rest of us. I have always been honest on job apps and I cant help but wonder how much further in life I would be if I had done what it appears most people now do.

Old 01-11-2016, 01:36 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,702,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
It works better when applying for companies whose background check doesn't include checking with previous employers. If a company does check with your previous employer, a number of them have policies indicating that they only confirm dates of employment. We have hired two people over the years that have been fired. They interviewed well, we spoke about the reason for their termination, we did not feel that that issue would repeat itself, and we thought they would do a good job for our organization, so we gave them a chance to prove themselves.
Labor law does not allow a former employer to do more than confirm or deny past employment, start and end date, without written authority from the former employee.

Old 01-11-2016, 02:11 PM

12,103 posts, read 23,259,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Labor law does not allow a former employer to do more than confirm or deny past employment, start and end date, without written authority from the former employee.

I was waiting for someone to pop up with the usual "it's against the law" response. Federal case law is very clear in this issue. It is 100% legal for a previous employer to say as much as they feel like saying, as long as it is the truth. All states also have their own laws regarding references by previous employers. It is my understanding that a few states require a letter from the previous employee; the majority of states have no such requirement. Many more states specifically grant immunity to the employere. Some states also require an employer to provide a Service Letter to previous employees which states position, pay, and length of employment, but this letter does not prohibit employers from discussing job related performance if a potential employer asks.

What state's labor law requires both an authorization letter to discuss a previous employee, and only allows limited information can be given?

Old 01-11-2016, 07:23 PM

1,153 posts, read 1,048,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yahoo232 View Post
That all make sense and sound nice, but at the end of the day, why would employers want to hire a damaged good when they've like 100+ other applicants with clean records.
I make the exact same argument for ex-convicts.

While I understand (but mostly disagree with) the other side of the argument that felons have done their time, turned their lives around, yada, yada, and that's fine for Burger King and Wal-Mart, but why would should a small or medium sized private business take the risk?

And worse still how do people in some areas allow government to mandate that employers hire felons or not ask the question on applications? All that results in is a slower rate of hiring and those employers moving jobs out of such jurisdictions.

For every ex-con out there, there are many times more non-ex-criminal job seekers. Maybe if you're Pop'eyes that applicant pool is different, but again, why not just choose any clean applicant?

Old 01-11-2016, 08:42 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,963,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
That is 100% FALSE!
Employers are free to provide any and all accurate and true information so long as it's not being done solely to discriminate or out of spite.

Old 01-11-2016, 09:11 PM

371 posts, read 526,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by animalcrazy View Post
I've never been fired but I have a work friend that has been fired twice. He always worked two jobs and it's fortunate that he still has one job. He's been blacklisted and nobody will hire him now. My besties husband was upper management and still undergoing chemo when he was wrongfully terminated. There's a nice law suit there.

A nurse friend had a bit of a drug problem and was caught stealing meds from a hospital she worked for. They kept her on with the understanding that if she tested positive during random tests that she would be terminated. She was fired recently for testing positive, but the amount was so small that even a pilot could test positive for that amount and still fly. She's been clean for years and was not given another test to prove so. I'm sure her termination had more to do with her near death experience last year and her high medical bills then it did a false positive test result. She turned down one job because of the access to meds. She applied for another one and had a second interview.

There is hope for employment after termination, but if you're like my work friend with a big personality problem, then probably not.
What was the personality problem? That is important.

Unfortunately, there are other issues that need to be rectified, meaning the unemployment laws need to be modified to account for the socialization for he workplace. It's more about friendships now then what you actually do for the firm. I did a lot for my previous employer, but I didn't want the friendship that my boss wanted. I wanted a professional relationship and he wanted to know everything about me and I keep a lot to myself as I don't think its appropriate to be too close. I also don't think management should be too close with the employees as favorites will be played.

I work in finance in NYC and there are protections in the firms, you see people not contributing but they somehow get to keep their role as they are friends with the management. Also, I don't want to give people excuses, but management likes those people who don't contribute much as they know they will never have a reason to promote them and the manager can just remain at the top forever. Its disappointing, whoever said that hard work will get you anywhere, they are wrong. You have to manipulate the system and if you don't want to get involved in all the politics, you are screwed. I think we are on a very slippery slope in this country.

The worst part of it is that the awful manager gets protections if he is over 40 years old. So the company has trouble firing him even though he is manipulating everything and lying through his teeth.

The employment lows need to change in this country as people use it to their advantage. If you are over 40, black or a pregnant woman then you get job protections.

I don't think anyone should be able to keep their job because they are over 40 or black (I will say right now I am not a racist). I understand the pregnant woman protection and there is no guarantee they will get the same role.

You feel helpless as it is very difficult to sue and you can be treated like **** for no reason. My manager was also divorced and his ex didn't work so he had to pay for her Greenwich village apartment as their kids lived with her. Then he went and had another baby over 40 years old with his new wife. You know a person like that is going to lie through their teeth to keep their role as he will be up ****'s creek especially with the costs in NYC. The savings gets depleted so fast.

If one does't get fired then you can go back to school and use that as a reset.

Old 01-11-2016, 09:13 PM

371 posts, read 526,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
Of everything said on here I would be willing to bet this is closest to the truth. Very few employers would hire someone who was fired from their last job. I am very thankful to have not been put in this position, it really puts you in a bad spot. Worse yet many terminations nowadays are for very trivial things, and the consequences of being fired are severe for future job hunts. One thing that seems true nowadays as well as ethics are out the window. Neither employers or employees seem to have the level of honesty and integrity they used to have. Now its more of an attitude of do what needs to be done for you, not do what is right. I have read that most resumes are at least partially fabricated or at least exaggerated. That means those willing to lie and cheat have moved up faster than the rest of us. I have always been honest on job apps and I cant help but wonder how much further in life I would be if I had done what it appears most people now do.
absolutely agree and goes with my post above
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search