U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2016, 08:31 AM

345 posts, read 320,197 times

Advertisements

Hello to everyone,

I'm curious-when you go on an interview, how long do you have your fingers crossed that they will call back with an offer? I went on Wednesday 1.6.16 to an interview for a records clerk for the local police department. They already have two clerks and looking for a third one. It was me against 5 others for the job (and 200 applied)...I know it is a difference process when going on these kinds of interviews.

I am dying to get out of my current job-but can only hold out for so long for this. I have years of experience as a records clerk (but the kick is not as a police clerk) I want this job but will soon need to start my search again (as I fear more firings at my current job due to losing another client)

Does anyone know when going for a city job, how long? It also seems like a 30 day hold as they do a background, drug, credit and polygraph test.

I've gotten really good advice on here from some people who know there things, so thanks!!
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2016, 08:53 AM

9,778 posts, read 16,979,525 times
I am not sure what you mean by a 30 day hold. 30 days is pretty optimistic if you are hoping to be hired within 30 days. Do you know if they have started your background? Are you scheduled for the drug and poly?

Old 01-10-2016, 09:10 AM

They haven't called me even to let me know...it's a question how long should I even wait.

the 30 day thing is when they do call-it takes 30 days to do everything..

the interview was only on Wed. so wondering how long should I hold my breath that they will call?

Old 01-10-2016, 09:47 AM

3,074 posts, read 3,187,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenniferashley View Post
Hello to everyone,

I am dying to get out of my current job-but can only hold out for so long for this. I have years of experience as a records clerk (but the kick is not as a police clerk) I want this job but will soon need to start my search again (as I fear more firings at my current job due to losing another client)

Thanks
Why stop the job search while you are waiting to hear? Gov't jobs usually take longer to get because there are usually very strict procedures they need to follow but that is not a reason to continue to look elsewhere.

Old 01-10-2016, 10:04 AM

10,000 posts, read 16,665,567 times
Keep looking for employment. You still may get an offer but don't wait for their response.

Old 01-10-2016, 10:42 AM

17,002 posts, read 20,676,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenniferashley View Post
They haven't called me even to let me know...it's a question how long should I even wait.

the 30 day thing is when they do call-it takes 30 days to do everything..

the interview was only on Wed. so wondering how long should I hold my breath that they will call?
This is why if you feel the interview went well and when they get to the end and say to you "do you have any questions?", you say "do you have any idea when a decision will be made?".

You may not get a definite answer but you might get some information like "we have interviews scheduled for the next two weeks" or "we just started the interview process", so you get an idea.

I know you're anxious, but you only interviewed a few days ago.

I wouldn't contact them until at least the latter part of this week coming up.

Old 01-10-2016, 10:59 AM

9,778 posts, read 16,979,525 times
You don't wait; you move on to the next process. Call them Weds and ask them what their projected timeline is.

Old 01-10-2016, 11:07 AM

I did ask how long the process would take-there was a total of 6 of us interviewing that day.
He stated it wouldn't take a long time to make a decision.

My gut is I didn't get it as I never used "their database" and someone with police records experience
was interviewing too (from what they told me) He said 200 resumes were received and out of them-6 of us.
So I am lucky to even go through the experience...just sucks since I'm looking to get out of this current job quickly.

Old 01-10-2016, 12:12 PM

2,003 posts, read 2,018,109 times
Near the end of every interview I've been on, they always ask me if I have any more questions. If I've asked all of the questions I need to ask about the job, I always end with: "I have one more question: when can I get started?".

This usually elicits a few chuckles from my interviewers and myself, but the I followup with: "Any idea when a decision will be made?". Always leave an interview with the interviewer picturing you starting in the position.

Oh, and how long do you wait after an interview? Long enough to drive home and continue my job search. WAIT NO TIME. Assume you didn't get it--always.

Old 01-10-2016, 01:35 PM

1,017 posts, read 1,152,037 times
My experience is if they REALLY want you, you will know within a couple days.

Just to give you a perspective, I just was hired into a new company. This company has been going after me for awhile. I finally decided to go into the office for last round in-person interviews. It was set for 8am-12. After lunch at 1pm, the hiring manager said he (again) wants to hire me. He told me I would get an offer letter by the end of the day. At around 5pm, I received an offer letter in my email.

My last job before that, I received an offer letter within 24 hours of my last rounds of interview.

It must be just me, but anytime I had to wait for a response more than 1 week (5 biz days), I didn't get the job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or