U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2016, 12:47 PM

7,422 posts, read 13,706,702 times

Advertisements

SIKE! you never know you didn't get the job until you get rejected.

i see a lot of people, here and elsewhere, pointing to things that happen or don't happen in an interview that are surefire signs that you didn't get a job.

i just had a second interview for a job late friday afternoon.

no one gave me a business card (not at the first interview either).

they said "we're talking to other candidates"

i was intensely questioned about the fact that this job is a lateral move for me (i'm moving to another city so i'm not particularly looking to move up right now) and whether i was going to stay there for a reasonable amount of time.

they asked what i wanted for salary and then said that it was at the very top of their range.

at the end of the interview i was told that they hoped to make a decision in the next week but that they can sometimes take a long time to make a decision.

and... this morning first thing i got a job offer for the pay i asked for! with part time hours for the first few weeks so i can move, immediate vacation time for a planned trip in the spring, etc.

so seriously, don't obsess over little details of the interview and think that something the interviewer said or did or didn't say or do means that you didn't get the job. unless they say like "you seem like a terrible fit for this job" or something like that.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2016, 06:31 PM

427 posts, read 379,005 times
Eh, if you ask what the next step is in the hiring process and they just shrug their shoulders and say "we're looking at other candidates" you know you didn't impress them.

Old 01-11-2016, 09:11 PM

3 posts, read 3,473 times
Cryinbaby has a point. But your time would better be spent continuing your job search and keeping yourself occupied until you hear back (if you even do).

Job Hunt Hero
[url=http://www.jobhunthero.com]Home - Job Hunt Hero[/url]

Old 01-12-2016, 07:02 AM

213 posts, read 146,304 times
You know you didn't get the job when you feel heartbroken the next day after not getting an offer even though the interview went really well -- like i do. I kind of just want to end my life so this constant pain and shame can just stop.

Old 01-12-2016, 09:15 AM

2,077 posts, read 1,854,218 times
You know you didn't get it when they just don't respond.

Old 01-12-2016, 12:32 PM

yeah it's true, you don't always get rejected. sometimes you just have to assume you didn't get a job because you haven't heard back for a long time. that's really frustrating.

but IN the interview, all of these little signals that people say mean good or bad things - they're not necessarily real.

i do think it's best to just assume you didn't get the job (after doing your best in the interview, sending a thank you/follow up, etc) cause then it's a nice surprise when you do! plus you just have to keep looking and applying no matter how well any step of the job search process went.

Old 01-12-2016, 03:52 PM

403 posts, read 315,147 times
When the interview doesn't feel like a conversation

When they don't offer their business card

When you don't see them smile at all

When they mention the competition

Old 01-12-2016, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by te3t View Post
When they don't offer their business card

When they mention the competition
both those things happened in the interview i had last friday at 3pm and i was offered the job at 9am monday.

Old 01-12-2016, 08:59 PM

289 posts, read 343,917 times
I once purposefully threw a job interview when I was a teen. My parents forced me to apply at a restaurant I didn't want to work for (I wanted to work for the other fast food joint, darn it!). The interviewer even asked me "So why do you want to work here?" I replied "I don't."

They offered me the job on the spot.

Whole thing reminded me of Peter Gibbons' meeting with the Bobs in Office Space: "Now that's a straight-shooter with upper management written all over him!"

Old 01-12-2016, 09:10 PM

1,244 posts, read 2,984,745 times
I've never been on an interview where anyone offered me their business card. Whether I got the job or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or