U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2016, 10:51 PM

1,369 posts, read 1,115,220 times

Advertisements

I'm in the process of interviewing and also have a recent gap in my corporate finance tenure. Very rarely have I been asked, but when it does come up in interviews, I tell them I resigned to focus on personal endeavors then a short explanation about what I was doing while on sabbatical. They actually seem impressed, not detoured by this. Bottom line: globalism is increasing and perspectives are shifting. Nobody cares about short breaks in employment these days. Life's short. Don't give all your precious time away to the man. Enjoy breaks in between jobs as best you can.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2016, 03:24 AM

1,746 posts, read 1,283,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
What do you mean you "finished...last placement in June 2015"? Was that a temp job?

Do you have a history of permanent work in your background, where you stayed at least 2 years? Are you over 30?

All the above questions need to be known before knowing if an 8 month gap is an issue. If a person has a solid work history with a couple of good references, an 8 month gap shouldn't be a big hurdle. After all, you have a proven track record of being a good employee. In that case, I'd just be honest and say it took that long to find other employment. Then add that in the meantime, besides looking for permanent work, you did (insert what you did...don't exaggerate too much). And then have at least one reference for that to back you up (like for the pro bono work).

If you have mainly worked temp jobs instead of permanent, then an 8 month gap isn't a big issue. It's more the issue of a lack of permanent job history with decent references. The 8 month gap just adds to the questionable history.

However, with time, anything can be overcome. You will eventually get a permanent job, have good job references, be able to move to a better paying job, etc. That 8 month gap will be a distant memory.

I can't imagine that someone would fire you because you have a ME name. After all, you had it when they hired you. And there were terrorists the day before, just like the day of the firing, and the day after that. I'm not saying that people wouldn't get nervous about it, but if they were, they would be likely not to hire you in the first place. BTW, with a ME sounding name, it would not be a bad thing to clarify to a coworker or HR, without them asking (they can't ask, legally) that you are not .... whtever it is you think they're afraid of. You shouldn't have to, but if it were me, I would.

There are a lot of ME people working in the U.S. with no problems.
Thanks for your help!

I finished my degree in late September/ October 2014 and started working about two months later. I just turned 25.

I did a graduate traineeship which finished in June 2015. It's not like I had a permanent job and couldn't find a job afterwards.

Now, I'm not the located in the US, but I can attest that in certain European countries, it is quite hard to find a job with an ME name. I'm not saying every single ME individual encounters this problem, but some do. I find it slightly hard to believe that I couldn't even get an internship during these 8 months except for a random call-center job. I mean, my "colleagues" there are no clue about the market they were supposed to work on and I had experience in the field, yet I got fired after a day.

The flip side is I have plenty of experience in different countries (internships, traineeships, degrees, summer courses, volunteering work ...), so I will sooner or later find a permanent job.

Last edited by LostinPhilly; 01-13-2016 at 03:34 AM..

Old 01-14-2016, 04:14 AM

11 posts, read 17,101 times
My employer has a policy of not even considering someone w any significant gaps. And if you think of something you could add they may try to verify. Volunteer work is usually verified.
A gap I had to take care of my elderly grandmother was not seen as a negative.

Old 01-14-2016, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELomax View Post
My employer has a policy of not even considering someone w any significant gaps. And if you think of something you could add they may try to verify. Volunteer work is usually verified.
A gap I had to take care of my elderly grandmother was not seen as a negative.
In Europe, the system is different. They simply ask for two references from past employers and a copy of your criminal record.

Volunteer work is not verified, although I wouldn't mind if they verified because I have the registration paperwork.

I also have references and employment certificates from my past employers as well as certificates attesting of the extra-curricular courses I took.

I can't help it if I had a gap. I even had to take a call-center job abroad because my phone was not ringing at all! I did all I could to find a placement. The problem is the longer the gap, the harder it gets to find a job. It's bit of a catch 22.

Anyway, the gap is now over but I was wondering just in case the question is raised by a future employer.

Old 01-16-2016, 01:09 PM

2,094 posts, read 1,860,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LostinPhilly View Post
I didn't even collecting unemployment!

I didn't apply for several reasons (I live in Europe) which have more to do with the fact that I don't want to rely on social welfare. I'm not interested in collecting unemployment at all. My parents think I'm crazy, but I have enough pride not rely on myself only.
There's no shame in collecting unemployment until you get back on your feet. It's money you worked for. I was ashamed of collecting it myself but it did help here and there.

Old 01-16-2016, 04:17 PM

38 posts, read 21,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LostinPhilly View Post
Hello everyone,

I have been rather stressed out lately because of the gap on my resume. I finished my last placement in June 2015 and it took me 8 months to find another job for some unknown reason. I couldn't land a single phone interview, no matter how much I tried. Also, due to desperation, I accepted a call-center job abroad which ended pretty abruptly after one day. This misstep disrupted my job search for a couple of weeks as I had stopped looking after landing that job.

Now, I have landed another position on a temporary basis and I'm wondering about the aftermaths. Certain employers will certainly question this 8 months gap and put it down on a certain unwillingness to work, which is obviously not the case.

I have a solid educational background (graduated in September 2014) and experience, but I'm afraid this 8 months gap might jinx certain opportunities. Strange how everyone in my class have their careers on track and I'm still struggling despite the fact we had similar credentials upon graduation.

If the gap happens to be questionned, how should I respond?
Not a big deal since I had a 11 month gap on my resume and was still able to get calls for interviews and hired. The key is to take the attention off your unemployed status by having a career summary at the very top detailing skills and experience.

Old 01-19-2016, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarrel16567 View Post
Not a big deal since I had a 11 month gap on my resume and was still able to get calls for interviews and hired. The key is to take the attention off your unemployed status by having a career summary at the very top detailing skills and experience.
Thanks!

Old 01-19-2016, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deposite View Post
There's no shame in collecting unemployment until you get back on your feet. It's money you worked for. I was ashamed of collecting it myself but it did help here and there.

Yeah, that's what people told me, but I felt embarrassed. I never regarded myself as someone who would ever rely on "welfare", so collecting unemployment seemed like a "downgrade". My pride got in the way.

Old 01-20-2016, 05:52 AM

637 posts, read 440,656 times
I'm almost at 8 months. The unemployment has been gone a few months. I've had thoughts of living out of my car in a few months or selling the car and being homeless in a few years. Not having a job has made me feel worse about myself. I don't know how anyone could feel better though. I'm not sick so there are people who have things worse than me so I won't cry over things. Whatever standards I lower myself to for a job someone else is lower. I've felt like I've looked in the wrong places too. If it's something I'll learn from I'll be glad some day. Beating myself up does no good.

Old 01-20-2016, 08:13 AM

2,094 posts, read 1,860,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigeru View Post
I'm almost at 8 months. The unemployment has been gone a few months. I've had thoughts of living out of my car in a few months or selling the car and being homeless in a few years. Not having a job has made me feel worse about myself. I don't know how anyone could feel better though. I'm not sick so there are people who have things worse than me so I won't cry over things. Whatever standards I lower myself to for a job someone else is lower. I've felt like I've looked in the wrong places too. If it's something I'll learn from I'll be glad some day. Beating myself up does no good.
What skills do you have? What places have you tried?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search