U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2016, 09:16 AM

1,449 posts, read 806,970 times

Advertisements

The person doesn't seem to be on LinkedIn, but I don't see how that differs from an email.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2016, 12:08 AM

27,171 posts, read 29,703,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserterer View Post
The person doesn't seem to be on LinkedIn, but I don't see how that differs from an email.
Someone can make an intro via LinkedIn and the message will come from the intro-er. You need an intro of some form.

Old 01-14-2016, 07:14 AM

This is a good article, although it is resigned to the unfortunate fact that email is the only way to get through to most people these days. So as much as I loathe it as a method of first contact, I need to find a way to use it effectively to convince them to set up a phone call.

Forbes Welcome

Old 01-14-2016, 08:20 AM

36 posts, read 56,745 times
Quote:
I'm afraid you're right.

Its almost all done through networking now. who knows who and so on.

Old 01-14-2016, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morbid500 View Post
Its almost all done through networking now. who knows who and so on.
If you don't know anyone you're kind of stuck with the cold call or icy email. I was referred to the person I want to talk to by a coworker of his, and she told me how I could reach his out of country office by phone. But the receptionist derailed me, wouldn't patch me through, and told me to email him.

Old 01-16-2016, 03:49 PM

799 posts, read 739,733 times
Exclamation Cold Call in Job Search

Quote:
I have a company that I'd like to entice into a conversation about future job opportunities

I feel I have a much better chance of making a good impression if I can engage them on the telephone.

I have some very unique , specialized skills and they are one of a very few places that could use them.
D,

You sound like someone who is right up my alley.

As long as you are not Liam Neeson ("unique, specialized skills") and not IT, contact me, explain better what it is you do and I'll see if I can give you tips I'd use to make such contact with an appropriate HA. Headhunters chase down difficult-to-find people all the time.

Contacting an appropriate person directly is perfectly acceptable as long as you are somewhat unique and have a stellar background to back it up.

Paul........

Old 01-16-2016, 04:12 PM

38 posts, read 21,753 times
Quote:
I have a company that I'd like to entice into a conversation about future job opportunities, and I feel I have a much better chance of making a good impression if I can engage them on the telephone. I have some very unique , specialized skills and they are one of a very few places that could use them. But in the age of email, everyone seems to want to use email as a filter/deflector shield. As my potential employer I need to respect their preference, but I also feel I have greatly reduced chances via that communication method. And because my skills are unique and not broadly applicable in the job market, there is a lot riding on every contact I make. I can't just go to the next store in the phone book like a salesman or cashier could, for example. My options are very few and far between.

Honestly, if someone emailed me about job opportunities I would pay much less attention than if they managed to get me into an actual conversation. I'm probably in the minority though, people seem to prefer virtual conversations over actual ones.

Any suggestions/techniques for overcoming this tendency that I feel is a barrier? I find myself in the position of having to use email to try and convince them to talk to me, and I'd like to flip that around somehow, get them to talk to me and then follow up in email if they want to.

You do better with a cold email instead of calling because it's less direct. And that can be done by finding the hiring person on Linkedin.

Old 01-19-2016, 12:51 PM

I'm happy to say I succeeded in my "cold email". I must have said the right things in my email because he wants to talk to me and set up a phone appointment next week. Now I just hope I can duplicate that success in the call...

Old 01-19-2016, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarrel16567 View Post
You do better with a cold email instead of calling because it's less direct. And that can be done by finding the hiring person on Linkedin.
For the third time, he isn't on LinkedIn
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search