U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2016, 01:41 PM

16,019 posts, read 19,698,244 times

Advertisements

Have you tried the various licensing bureaus to track your old references. I know I maintain my professional creds, even though like you, I had to change careers.
Don't give up....perhaps another employee where you are now can reference you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2016, 01:48 PM

16,019 posts, read 19,698,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelinLow View Post
I have let it go and moved on. The people have moved on too and are long gone or the programs don't exist anymore. No way to get emails for them.
I plan to do some pet sitting via a few websites to supplement my grocery gig.
Not going to mess with these ridiculous applications anymore.
Go talk to someone their....try the social worker. Volunteer, that will get your foot in the door.

Old 01-21-2016, 12:52 PM

4,023 posts, read 8,646,704 times
Feelinlow, I don't know your exact skill set, but I do know that a lot of medical and social related jobs are now remote/online as opposed to onsite. Have you checked out sites like flexjobs? Their jobs are real employers from real companies. My neice is hoping her next surgery will result in her being able to sit for more than a few minutes (on disability right now) so she can reactivate her nursing license and start working online (case review, advocacy, etc.). You may have to think outside the box.

Old 01-21-2016, 02:04 PM

3,139 posts, read 3,511,151 times
Thanks, Yukon! I will definitely check into that. I have also thought of a Skype counseling/consulting service or something like that too.

Old 01-22-2016, 11:04 PM

770 posts, read 733,583 times
Quote:

Ok, but get this. They want FIVE "professional" references, 3 from past managers and 1 from a current manager. WTF? Any "past managers" are long gone along with the programs that were in place or they are laid off or if they are still around they are not allowed to give references anyway. (Turns out none are even still around, I'd have to hire a detective agency to find them! LOL).
these people are still around either on Linkedin or Facebook.

It sounds like you are applying for a retail job for a tech corporation.

If this is the case, and you haven't built up your linkedin network, then it really might not be the job for you.

Old 01-23-2016, 10:18 PM

3,139 posts, read 3,511,151 times
No, it's a part-time unit secretary job paying around 12 bucks an hour at a hospital.
And no, these people are not still around.
A recruiter from there called me last week and I told her about the ''reference situation''. She said she could not believe how ridiculous that request was and that she would get back to me to set up an interview. I never heard from her and likely will not. These people seem to just love stringing applicants along.

Old 01-24-2016, 03:49 PM

659 posts, read 1,009,367 times
Quote:
These people seem to just love stringing applicants along.

Which is why I gave you advice on yoru best route to bypass this.
But hey...

Old 01-24-2016, 08:14 PM

4,069 posts, read 5,472,026 times
People are still around at some job. Unless, everybody you worked with was retiring and had no younger employees.

Look them up on LinkedIn. I have found former co-workers from 14 years ago.

Old 01-24-2016, 08:27 PM

9,266 posts, read 11,849,807 times
Quote:
....until I opened the email and they want EMAIL addresses only for references! No phone numbers, no snail mail addresses, EMAIL only! They want to send them a survey to fill out, complete, and return to them.
Just out of curiosity, who are they/them? Is it the actual employer's personnel or an outside recruiter?

Old 01-24-2016, 09:28 PM

8,452 posts, read 11,451,125 times
I still get calls from people I used to supervise or work with from 15-20 years ago, asking if they can use my name as a reference. I always say yes, but 90% of the time I never hear from the prospective employers. When I do, it's been a simple confirmation call, or an occasional email. I have provided a few letters for personal references.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or