Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2016, 10:34 AM

3,222 posts, read 4,570,318 times

Advertisements

Some of you know I've taken a retail position after literally years of trying to get back into working in my health care profession (medical social work). I've exhausted every job listings, sent 100s+ resumes, and at age 60 (61 next month) I have more or less come to the conclusion that I am NOT going to get a better paying job with benefits or any kind of security in my field. So I work retail and am glad to get that.

HOWEVER, today I got a call from a local hospital system where I had put in a resume for a part-time first or second shift administrative position. I had created a functional resume detailing how I could do all the listed tasks and I am also a past employee of that system, back about 10 years ago.

So I go through these basic questions with this woman and am told then that this person will be forwarding my resume "to a recruiter" and that she will be sending me an email requesting references.

Ok, but get this. They want FIVE "professional" references, 3 from past managers and 1 from a current manager. WTF? Any "past managers" are long gone along with the programs that were in place or they are laid off or if they are still around they are not allowed to give references anyway. (Turns out none are even still around, I'd have to hire a detective agency to find them! LOL).

So what to do with this? I feel that I can do nothing with it short of enlisting "friends" to pose as these characters and say glowing things about me. And the current manager? The grocery store manager who I do not want to know I am looking for a better paying part time job? I think not as I cannot afford to lose this job.

It used to be a simple thing to provide a few references AFTER an interview, but I feel this is a set-up for defeat.

I answered the phone, elated that I'd been called, then ended the call knowing I had no chance!

Just a rant and comments welcome or sharing of similar stories that "might" make us all feel better. I just don't know anymore, really.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2016, 11:14 AM

6,393 posts, read 4,115,163 times
Put down any reference you can scrounge up. For the rest, write something like please see attached explanation. Then attach with your app an explanation of why you cannot provide more references.

Old 01-13-2016, 02:27 PM

2,702 posts, read 2,765,657 times
I'm really getting tired myself. Received a rejection letter from Apple, even though I can't think of a reason why I couldn't get a second interview. On top of that, the job I had at Best Buy was only seasonal so I'm job hunting...again.

I'm trying not to get frustrated but...I know how people feel about this process. It's ridiculous.

Old 01-13-2016, 04:51 PM

472 posts, read 438,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deposite View Post
I'm really getting tired myself. Received a rejection letter from Apple, even though I can't think of a reason why I couldn't get a second interview. On top of that, the job I had at Best Buy was only seasonal so I'm job hunting...again.

I'm trying not to get frustrated but...I know how people feel about this process. It's ridiculous.
Was it an Apple retail job? If so, for some reason they make those incredibly difficult to get even though the pay, etc. aren't anything special. At least they did a few years ago when I tried to get one.

Old 01-13-2016, 05:02 PM

2,432 posts, read 2,691,622 times
The process is rough to say the least! That is a lot of references, iv never had anyone request more then 3! I was in the same spot a few years back when the company wanted previous managers. The store closed down that I had worked for and everyone went their own way. I had no idea how to get contact info. I gave the explanation and it seemed to be no problem. I am sure though they will want contact info with your current employer. Thats a tough one since you obviously do not want your boss to know your looking for work elsewhere.. I you truely want the new job, you may just have to give the info and hope your hired or if not, that it wont cause any issues with your current job.

Old 01-13-2016, 06:26 PM

2,702 posts, read 2,765,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryWarden View Post
Was it an Apple retail job? If so, for some reason they make those incredibly difficult to get even though the pay, etc. aren't anything special. At least they did a few years ago when I tried to get one.
Yes. I don't even know if it's something I did wrong or what.

Old 01-14-2016, 05:49 AM

I guess I'll just put names down for those who are long gone or who don't give references due to policy and to hell with it. I won't get past the ''recruiter firewall'' anyway so I've nothing to lose.

Old 01-14-2016, 11:20 AM

3,551 posts, read 2,532,838 times
Just fill in all the required fields as best as you can. You can explain later if you get an interview.

I had to do that with some online apps. For my jobs in the 1980s I had to put in dead peoples names, and defunt company names and phone numbers. In one case I could not for the life of me think of my supervisors name, he was 60 yrs old then so probably no longer alive now. I put in the cheif drafters name, then looked him up = hes dead too. Cant imagine anyone going back that far to dig these people up but you have to complete the form to submit.

Old 01-14-2016, 04:21 PM

It all sounded good, "unfocused", until I opened the email and they want EMAIL addresses only for references! No phone numbers, no snail mail addresses, EMAIL only! They want to send them a survey to fill out, complete, and return to them.

BULL****! There is no way on God's green earth for this to happen.

I am DONE. I am staying at my grocery job and drawing my SS in 16 months. We WILL survive somehow.

End of rant!

Old 01-15-2016, 12:00 PM

3,452 posts, read 4,618,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelinLow View Post
It all sounded good, "unfocused", until I opened the email and they want EMAIL addresses only for references! No phone numbers, no snail mail addresses, EMAIL only! They want to send them a survey to fill out, complete, and return to them.

BULL****! There is no way on God's green earth for this to happen.

I am DONE. I am staying at my grocery job and drawing my SS in 16 months. We WILL survive somehow.

End of rant!
Just went through the exact same process with a company. 5 references. 2 from managers.

My situation is a bit different seeing that I was in the final stage of interview.

If I were you I would work on getting those 5 references anyway that I can.

Even if this job doesn't work out, you can still have those references on file for the next employer that calls.

Either way...best of luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search