Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2016, 06:07 PM

3,551 posts, read 2,529,341 times

Advertisements

I'ts pretty easy to make 5 new gmail or yahoo accounts...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2016, 03:38 AM

3,222 posts, read 4,566,637 times
I have let it go and moved on. The people have moved on too and are long gone or the programs don't exist anymore. No way to get emails for them.
I plan to do some pet sitting via a few websites to supplement my grocery gig.
Not going to mess with these ridiculous applications anymore.

Old 01-16-2016, 09:58 AM

551 posts, read 582,349 times
I feel you FL. Asking for additional references is pretty stupid anyways, seeing as they should have all your past employment info along with supervisor names and contact numbers. Why would they need anything beyond that? Who would be dumb enough to give a reference whom would speak poorly of them? (Answer: there are a few..I have worked in HR. But this is very RARE; once or twice in three + years.)

I was going to fill out an application (it was for a very rural county agency, the app was paper and needed to be mailed or faxed! Old School.) BUT they required four extra "professional" references, no personal friends, but couldn't be someone already listed as a past supervisor. WTH is the point of that?? I decided to pass as well...

Employers are so RIDICULOUS wrt references/experience/etc. The market is completely tipped in their favor and boy do they play that HARD.

Old 01-16-2016, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nostoneunturned View Post
I feel you FL. Asking for additional references is pretty stupid anyways, seeing as they should have all your past employment info along with supervisor names and contact numbers. Why would they need anything beyond that? Who would be dumb enough to give a reference whom would speak poorly of them? (Answer: there are a few..I have worked in HR. But this is very RARE; once or twice in three + years.)

I was going to fill out an application (it was for a very rural county agency, the app was paper and needed to be mailed or faxed! Old School.) BUT they required four extra "professional" references, no personal friends, but couldn't be someone already listed as a past supervisor. WTH is the point of that?? I decided to pass as well...

Employers are so RIDICULOUS wrt references/experience/etc. The market is completely tipped in their favor and boy do they play that HARD.

And I forgot to add...I actually worked for this "company" for 10 years from 1995-2005!! The division I worked for is long gone.
And what is this business of asking for references BEFORE they even interview me? They said they would send an email to each reference with a survey attached and ask them to return it asap. Geeze!

This, IMHO, is a way to "weed out" older workers with longer work histories and workers who have been through multiple lay-offs due to budget cuts, down-sizing, etc. Both of which I am.

People like that are not going to be able to meet their demands for "email references". I doubt many could meet it anyway, but they get what they deserve.

Old 01-17-2016, 03:39 AM

3,657 posts, read 3,284,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelinLow View Post
And I forgot to add...I actually worked for this "company" for 10 years from 1995-2005!! The division I worked for is long gone.
And what is this business of asking for references BEFORE they even interview me? They said they would send an email to each reference with a survey attached and ask them to return it asap. Geeze!

This, IMHO, is a way to "weed out" older workers with longer work histories and workers who have been through multiple lay-offs due to budget cuts, down-sizing, etc. Both of which I am.

People like that are not going to be able to meet their demands for "email references". I doubt many could meet it anyway, but they get what they deserve.

I have to say, asking for e-mail addresses only, is just begging someone to create 5 bogus e-mail accounts to answer HR's stupid questions. A survey? Come on, what is this, first mission to Mars? So they have time to interview 5 people and read their surveys but don't have time to interview you first before asking for all that stuff. And this is only for a part-time job too.

Who knows what they are doing. HR creates busy work to justify their own existence.

Old 01-17-2016, 10:22 PM

It is a wonder that anyone gets a job there!

Old 01-17-2016, 10:29 PM

658 posts, read 1,142,680 times
at the risk of not really knowing your exact situation... ? Have you ever considered paying for professional resume polishing service?

for $500 to $1000 you may well get the keys that push yours to the top of the pile.
it's a much different world than when you probably last really needed to write one.

Old 01-17-2016, 11:23 PM

11,629 posts, read 12,685,032 times
I had a similar situation. Most of my references were dead. I was at my last job for 16 years so to go back any further is really dumb. Previous companies are either defunct or the past supervisors are dead or moved to some unknown place and I doubt they'd remember me. I didn't have Five supervisors at the last place of employment, only 2, and one of them is dead.

Old 01-18-2016, 01:26 PM

Resume writing has nothing to do with this situation. Duh.

Old 01-18-2016, 01:40 PM

658 posts, read 1,142,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelinLow View Post
Resume writing has nothing to do with this situation. Duh.

sure it does. have someone who is an expert in the field (resume) state in an acceptable and word-appropriate manner that references for some positions are not available due to death, retirement, etc. Hell have it even get notarized by hall of records , legal and HR of the prior firm, etc if needed as 'proof'.

you'll avoid this problem in the future. it's a lot better advice than making up fake references.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search