U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2016, 08:40 AM

1,942 posts, read 942,953 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnp292 View Post
Someone wanting 24 hours to consider an offer is not unreasonable. Your position is. If the candidate wants to negotiate and you don't, all you have to do is say no. Are you really in such an in-demand industry that the other candidates find jobs so quickly? If you're losing out on good people for those reasons, you need to figure out why your offers are so undesirable.
I am not a troll but one giving some opinions from the side of the employer. The OP is free to take it and learn from it or leave it and sulk and surround herself from "yes" people.

Yes, in an ideal world 24 hours or more to think is good. But in reality this applies to higher positions like managers, physicians, CFO etc. For an admin job where things should have been discussed at the interview, a 24 hour wanting to think about it raises a red flag for the employer.

He might have thought that this delay would lead to negotiations over pay, work hours, vacations and so on. And that is what the OP wanted to do. And either another qualified interviewee must have called back that day to check on the availability of the job, or his office might have called the next person down the line. They would have jumped at the offer and the employer thought it is better to take that person than one who might get into a long drawn out negotiations which might not work out.

Look at OP's position. She has been out of work for months. How do you expect an employer to pay top salary for someone where the current skills are unknown. I usually start a unskilled (for that job) one at the lower end of the pay scale with a promise of raises quickly if the person gets up to speed. The person then needs to work and learn the job skills. The employer has spent time training her and would rather not lose her at that point and will give the raise. This is how it works in a small business environment.

The OP mentioned that all employees have been there for years, and the current position has opened up because some one is retiring after 16 years. Why would people stay in a position for 16 years if the work place was that bad. They would have moved out long ago. They are happy there with their pay and hours and vacation but probably started out at the lower end and proved themselves. In fact, if three or four people had worked for the same job in the past year that should raise a red flag against the owner and the company, not people working 10+ years.

Finally remember it takes a job to find another good job. The chances of an unemployed person getting an admin job in a bank with her current unemployed status is close to zero.

I think the OP missed getting into a job that had a stable (and probably happy ) environment. She can learn from it and do better next time or sulk and make excuses and be unemployed (but which is not hurting her much financially).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2016, 09:02 AM

2,183 posts, read 1,734,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kamban View Post
I am not a troll but one giving some opinions from the side of the employer. The OP is free to take it and learn from it or leave it and sulk and surround herself from "yes" people.

Yes, in an ideal world 24 hours or more to think is good. But in reality this applies to higher positions like managers, physicians, CFO etc. For an admin job where things should have been discussed at the interview, a 24 hour wanting to think about it raises a red flag for the employer.

He might have thought that this delay would lead to negotiations over pay, work hours, vacations and so on. And that is what the OP wanted to do. And either another qualified interviewee must have called back that day to check on the availability of the job, or his office might have called the next person down the line. They would have jumped at the offer and the employer thought it is better to take that person than one who might get into a long drawn out negotiations which might not work out.

Look at OP's position. She has been out of work for months. How do you expect an employer to pay top salary for someone where the current skills are unknown. I usually start a unskilled (for that job) one at the lower end of the pay scale with a promise of raises quickly if the person gets up to speed. The person then needs to work and learn the job skills. The employer has spent time training her and would rather not lose her at that point and will give the raise. This is how it works in a small business environment.

The OP mentioned that all employees have been there for years, and the current position has opened up because some one is retiring after 16 years. Why would people stay in a position for 16 years if the work place was that bad. They would have moved out long ago. They are happy there with their pay and hours and vacation but probably started out at the lower end and proved themselves. In fact, if three or four people had worked for the same job in the past year that should raise a red flag against the owner and the company, not people working 10+ years.

Finally remember it takes a job to find another good job. The chances of an unemployed person getting an admin job in a bank with her current unemployed status is close to zero.

I think the OP missed getting into a job that had a stable (and probably happy ) environment. She can learn from it and do better next time or sulk and make excuses and be unemployed (but which is not hurting her much financially).
Happy and stable? Really? I guess lying and unprofessionalism is just fine to you. Arrogant, self important, and insufferable, congratulations you hit the trifecta.

Old 01-16-2016, 09:03 AM

388 posts, read 210,319 times
Wow, geez. No raises, no medical, pto and such are lacking? He did you a favor.. Although during the interview you said you were OK with the benefits and lack thereof. 24 hours is definitely a short amount of time but if I were you, I would have jumped on the offer. If I needed to think about the wage, I would have called my husband to discuss then call him back within the hour. I'm not saying he was right to give the offer away to someone else but that's how I would have approached. Anyways, you probably wouldn't want to work there anyways.

Old 01-16-2016, 09:04 AM

468 posts, read 519,150 times
I agree with general consensus of those who think OP dodged a bullet. I would take that as a sign that this employer is a control freak and a (little bit or a lot) crazy, and would be hell to work for. If he can't wait 24 hours who needs him? He could've gotten someone who said "yes" immediately and then just failed to show up, but was lucky enough to get an honest contemplative OP. What if he hired some knee-jerk nitwit?

Old 01-16-2016, 09:17 AM

6,876 posts, read 3,738,459 times
The bottom line is he was unprofessional. It doesn't matter if he needed someone immediately, or if he thought the OP would turn him down, or if he didn't want to negotiate. The fact is, once he agreed to a day to think it over, that means he had agreed. Then he turned around and hired someone else. It doesn't matter what the thought, ...

... he simply DID NOT keep his word.

There were a lot of things he could have done. He could have said "I need an answer immediately." Or he could have negotiated. He did none of those.

I can understand why the OP would take her time. Good talent can afford to. I have hired assistants before and am more than happy to take my time getting a good one. I hire good ones. I've also worked in offices where the manager hired any warm body that came through the door because "it doesn't take a rocket scientist." As a matter of fact I am a rocket scientist and that's why I want a good admin, so they can do their job and I can do mine.

Old 01-16-2016, 11:09 AM

6,408 posts, read 3,510,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
The bottom line is he was unprofessional. It doesn't matter if he needed someone immediately, or if he thought the OP would turn him down, or if he didn't want to negotiate. The fact is, once he agreed to a day to think it over, that means he had agreed. Then he turned around and hired someone else. It doesn't matter what the thought, ...

There were a lot of things he could have done. He could have said "I need an answer immediately." Or he could have negotiated. He did none of those.

I can understand why the OP would take her time. Good talent can afford to. I have hired assistants before and am more than happy to take my time getting a good one. I hire good ones. I've also worked in offices where the manager hired any warm body that came through the door because "it doesn't take a rocket scientist." As a matter of fact I am a rocket scientist and that's why I want a good admin, so they can do their job and I can do mine.
Well said. Regardless of OP's actions the guy agreed to a day, and he didn't live up to his agreement.

Old 01-16-2016, 12:31 PM

15,253 posts, read 8,568,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janie233 View Post
I think it's sad some people would put down my job title like saying "anyone can do it" or "it doesn't take a rocket scientist" ..

As an administrative assistant I work very hard and take pride in my work. I have worked for executives and CEOs that could never do my job. Some of them don't know how to use a fax machine. Not cool to look down on me.
Well, of COURSE they can't/WON'T do your job - they get paid hundreds of thousands of dollars and it is not worth their time to use a fax machine (people still fax?!). If they DID do your job you wouldn't have one. We all have to understand our role in an organization.

BTW - you'd said you needed 24 hours to talk to your husband...no way would I have said that. You don't tip an employer off to your family situation...probably figured there would be kid issues or that you might be kinda passive if you defer to your husband. I'm not saying that you are, but when you share info like that you invite someone to start thinking and that's never a good thing!

Old 01-16-2016, 12:33 PM

15,253 posts, read 8,568,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oasiscakes View Post
Wow, geez. No raises, no medical, pto and such are lacking? He did you a favor.. Although during the interview you said you were OK with the benefits and lack thereof. 24 hours is definitely a short amount of time but if I were you, I would have jumped on the offer. If I needed to think about the wage, I would have called my husband to discuss then call him back within the hour. I'm not saying he was right to give the offer away to someone else but that's how I would have approached. Anyways, you probably wouldn't want to work there anyways.
But if the job was REALLY that lousy then why even take any time to apply, much less 24 hours to consider the offer? I think the story is changing as we go along ... sour grapes makes us all feel better when we lose out on something.

Old 01-16-2016, 12:34 PM

716 posts, read 957,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
Why is he unprofessional. The OP had turned down accepting the job, and said she needed to go home and think about it.
Most people do like to think about a job offer before taking it. That is not uncommon and it does not constitute turning the job down. If he had told her he needed someone right away and needed an answer right away otherwise he was going to have to continue with the process of finding someone and she agreed to still think about it then fine. He should have said something. To tell her she could have time to think it over and go to the next candidate is unprofessional in my opinion and the OP is better off not wasting her time with someone like that.

Old 01-16-2016, 01:08 PM

41 posts, read 31,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post

Thank you. I feel very good about my decision to want a day to think about it. Looking at the situation now, I think he did me a favor by not keeping his word. He has shown his character and shown that he is not a man of his word - and that would probably happen with other situations when working for him. I actually got an interview with a very good company next week with great pay, vacation and other benefits. I'm happy he chose someone else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or