U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2016, 07:24 PM

1,357 posts, read 1,107,735 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarrel16567 View Post
I don't think someone who is unemployed should ever tell a employer "can I have some time to think about it?" Why say something like that when you are trying to re-enter the workforce? Even if the OP wasn't that excited about she should have atleast tried to secure a start date so that she would have one job in the bag.
There's nothing wrong with taking a little time to think about it. I've gotten job offers that I thought about and decided not to take, unemployed or not.

Better that the OP think about it than wasting her time and the employer's time by accepting and then deciding that it's not the right fit after the fact.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2016, 07:25 PM

38 posts, read 21,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melodica View Post
There's nothing wrong with taking a little time to think about it. I've gotten job offers that I thought about and decided not to take, unemployed or not.

Better that the OP think about it than wasting her time and the employer's time by accepting and then deciding that it's not the right fit after the fact.
Why not think about it between the time she accepts the offer and the day she starts the job?

Old 01-16-2016, 07:32 PM

16,017 posts, read 19,666,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janie233 View Post
So I have been unemployed for a few months now. I went on an interview on Tuesday with a small property management company for an administrative assistant position. The company has about 7 people in this office and they have all been there for several years. The woman that was retiring has been there for 16 years - which is why the position opened up. I was at the interview for a few hours and everyone I met with seemed very friendly, and receptive to my questions. A couple things I found out during the interview was that they don't offer any medical benefits and the other benefits like pto, vacation are really lacking. He also told me that he doesn't give raises but instead gives out 2 yearly bonuses. At the end of the interview they asked me if I was interested based on all the information given - I said yes. They asked me when I could start - I told them within about 1 week.

I received a phone call the very next day (Wednesday) with an offer of employment. I was surprised to hear back so fast but I wasn't thrilled with the hourly rate and felt it was a little low. I thanked him and I asked him if I could have 24 hours to think it over and speak with my husband about it. He said that would be fine. I stressed about it all last night and had planned to negotiate a better wage. I called him back today ready to negotiate and he tells me "I decided to hire someone yesterday"- I was floored. I said "I thought you were going to give me a day to think it over?" He said "Well we need someone to start right away and can't start right away" Which is bull because he told me he was fine with my availability. This jerk hired someone the same day he extended me an offer and told me I could have a day to think about it! I told him I thought this was extremely unprofessional and that the least he could have done was call me to let me know they gave the job to someone else! He could have called yesterday or this morning - but didn't even bother.

I'm sorry I'm just so surprised I was treated with such rudeness..
You will need to work on your lack of enthusiasm...you obviously weren't excited about the position. He just got a faster read on you. Something better will come along. If you are not working, be ready to start right away.

Old 01-16-2016, 08:24 PM

2,683 posts, read 3,413,498 times
OP, I think you dodged a bullet with this one. So many red flags . . .

Hopefully, you will get a much better offer soon.

Old 01-16-2016, 08:36 PM

8,974 posts, read 8,096,455 times
Quote:
I think what many of you don't get is that he did not keep his word. When i give my word to someone that means I keep it. He could have said no I can't give you 24 hrs or just said never mind about the offer if he didnt like me asking for a day. But he didn't - he agreed and without hesitation. Those of you that think this is acceptable behavior obviously do not get or have integrity.
Get real. He told you that you could think about it. He also kept the option, of thinking about it, and with other applicants he found someone that wanted the job.

He did not break his word, you just expected him when you wanted to think about it, to keep the job open and wait for your decision. For such a low rung job, where you can find way more qualified applicants that will beg for the job, no intelligent employer is going to wait around waiting for your answer, when he can solve the problem finding someone that wanted the job a lot more than you while you are thinking about it.

Your are the one that made a decision to think about it (usually meaning Hell No in the long run), On top of that, you decided not to take the job unless he would raise the wages. For that type of position, he would not negotiate a better wage. He knew what he could afford, and could get people for the job easily at the wages offered. As you would not have taken the job anyway, what are you complaining about.

Everyone keeps talking about lousy pay and no benefits. They keep forgetting 2 semi-annual bonuses. The size of those bonuses are what I would be interested in. They must be very good, as he keeps employees for 16 years. In type of business the employer had, I have seen where the bonus was as much as the wages and even more in some instances. I never worked for wages. I worked for what I could take home a year if I produced. I wanted a piece of the action, not an hourly wage. Last place I worked (furniture business) before going into the real estate business where I stayed til I retired the Christmas Bonus was 25% as big as my entire years income, and in today's dollars the income was equal to over $150,000 today before the bonus. A commission on my own sales, and when in management where I was a big share of the time, I got a piece of every sale made.

Wages are for pikers. There are better ways to get paid, and one is how big is the bonus, and what do I have to do earn it, and a commission on the business that is done by others. Wages are too limiting if you are good at what you do.

Old 01-16-2016, 08:46 PM

41 posts, read 31,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
Get real. He told you that you could think about it. He also kept the option, of thinking about it, and with other applicants he found someone that wanted the job.

He did not break his word, you just expected him when you wanted to think about it, to keep the job open and wait for your decision. For such a low rung job, where you can find way more qualified applicants that will beg for the job, no intelligent employer is going to wait around waiting for your answer, when he can solve the problem finding someone that wanted the job a lot more than you while you are thinking about it.

Your are the one that made a decision to think about it (usually meaning Hell No in the long run), On top of that, you decided not to take the job unless he would raise the wages. For that type of position, he would not negotiate a better wage. He knew what he could afford, and could get people for the job easily at the wages offered. As you would not have taken the job anyway, what are you complaining about.

Everyone keeps talking about lousy pay and no benefits. They keep forgetting 2 semi-annual bonuses. The size of those bonuses are what I would be interested in. They must be very good, as he keeps employees for 16 years. In type of business the employer had, I have seen where the bonus was as much as the wages and even more in some instances. I never worked for wages. I worked for what I could take home a year if I produced. I wanted a piece of the action, not an hourly wage. Last place I worked (furniture business) before going into the real estate business where I stayed til I retired the Christmas Bonus was 25% as big as my entire years income, and in today's dollars the income was equal to over $150,000 today before the bonus. A commission on my own sales, and when in management where I was a big share of the time, I got a piece of every sale made.

Wages are for pikers. There are better ways to get paid, and one is how big is the bonus, and what do I have to do earn it, and a commission on the business that is done by others. Wages are too limiting if you are good at what you do.
I didn't read your entire post because you are very negative. I'm not sure why you keep responding. Whatever the reason - I hope you feel better.

Old 01-16-2016, 09:43 PM

2,183 posts, read 1,729,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post

You have sunk to a new low with this post. The boss said it was OK with him that the OP take twenty four hours to decide and then he went against his word and behind the OP's back to hire someone else. This is lying and a complete lack of integrity and professionalism. To deny this fact displays your complete lack of integrity and proper business etiquette. Absolutely disgusting.

Old 01-16-2016, 10:09 PM

41 posts, read 31,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jma501 View Post
You have sunk to a new low with this post. The boss said it was OK with him that the OP take twenty four hours to decide and then he went against his word and behind the OP's back to hire someone else. This is lying and a complete lack of integrity and professionalism. To deny this fact displays your complete lack of integrity and proper business etiquette. Absolutely disgusting.
He has been told this by several people here. Responding to him is a lost cause.

Old 01-16-2016, 10:17 PM

2,183 posts, read 1,729,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janie233 View Post
He has been told this by several people here. Responding to him is a lost cause.
Believe me I know.

Old 01-16-2016, 10:30 PM

6,652 posts, read 18,667,875 times
The train came and stopped while a person has only so much time deciding to get on or stay OFF. Whether On or Off the train will leave after a very short time...same deal with any bus....any takers?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or