U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2016, 10:53 PM

1,939 posts, read 939,878 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarrel16567 View Post
I agree with you that even when unemployed you should never take any job but I don't think it's a good idea to tell an employer you will think about it. See it's better to secure a start date so you atleast know you have one job in the bag and can see if it;'s anything else out there before the start date. The only time I would tell an employer I would like to think about it is if I am already employed and can afford to lose out on the opportunity.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janie233 View Post
Sorry but that's dishonest to me.
The post above is why employers have become cynical and not completely level. Many people accept the job and don't show up or state they want to think for 24 hours and never call back or one can get hold of them. It happens many more times than one can imagine, for admin positions.

Janie233, I am sorry that a honest person like you got caught but unfortunately people like Tarrel make the situation of hiring not as clean and above board as one would wish it to be. Goof luck with your next interview.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2016, 10:58 PM

38 posts, read 21,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kamban View Post
The post above is why employers have become cynical and not completely level. Many people accept the job and don't show up or state they want to think for 24 hours and never call back or one can get hold of them. It happens many more times than one can imagine, for admin positions.

Janie233, I am sorry that a honest person like you got caught but unfortunately people like Tarrel make the situation of hiring not as clean and above board as one would wish it to be. Goof luck with your next interview.
It maybe wrong but that's how you have to play the employment game when you are unemployed or you will be on the outside looking in.

Old 01-16-2016, 11:45 PM

2,183 posts, read 1,732,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kamban View Post

There is no excuse for lying and unprofessionalism ever.

Old 01-17-2016, 02:18 AM

416 posts, read 269,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
Not necessarily less pay but perhaps the 2nd candidate didn't ask any questions.

No raises + few benefits = dead end anyway.
Yeah, don't really see this as a loss because any non-temporary office job not offering benefits really isn't worth anyone's time.

Old 01-17-2016, 02:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryWarden View Post
Yeah, don't really see this as a loss because any non-temporary office job not offering benefits really isn't worth anyone's time.
The Op made it seem like a loss from the initial post

Old 01-17-2016, 10:30 AM

17,002 posts, read 20,686,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mochamajesty View Post
Thank you, sean dublin. These were the exact questions that I had while reading this.

Actions and words are not lining up.

Why would the OP go home and stress over the offer if she didn't need the job?

Why does ANY of this matter if she didn't need the job?

She is putting herself through an awful lot for someone who doesn't need the money.
It doesn't make any sense does it?

If the husband is doing well, there is 1) no need for her to be concerned about medical benefits, they're married she should be on his plan and 2) salary shouldn't be an issue, this job should just be something to do and not dependent on income.

Quote:
I think what many of you don't get is that he did not keep his word. When i give my word to someone that means I keep it. He could have said no I can't give you 24 hrs or just said never mind about the offer if he didnt like me asking for a day. But he didn't - he agreed and without hesitation. Those of you that think this is acceptable behavior obviously do not get or have integrity.

My husband is a very established in his career and he has said the same thing.

Say what you want now but I feel great that he has shown how he is. You won't change my mind.
You stress over a person you met one time not keeping their word? Please, you get upset over that when a close friend or family member does that and it involves something serious. Not some stranger.

I really think when you told him you couldn't start for a week when he knows you weren't currently working(no one to give notice to) as you have been unemployed for a few months that put him off. Than you add in that you need to think about.

They had a position to fill, while he was not professional you didn't handle it well either.

Since you say you don't need to work, got do some volunteering to occupy your time.

Old 01-17-2016, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
It doesn't make any sense does it?

If the husband is doing well, there is 1) no need for her to be concerned about medical benefits, they're married she should be on his plan and 2) salary shouldn't be an issue, this job should just be something to do and not dependent on income.

You stress over a person you met one time not keeping their word? Please, you get upset over that when a close friend or family member does that and it involves something serious. Not some stranger.

I really think when you told him you couldn't start for a week when he knows you weren't currently working(no one to give notice to) as you have been unemployed for a few months that put him off. Than you add in that you need to think about.

They had a position to fill, while he was not professional you didn't handle it well either.

Since you say you don't need to work, got do some volunteering to occupy your time.
What's wrong with telling someone u can start in a week? It shouldn't matter if you are unemployed people need time to get things in order before just starting a job right away. What she did wrong was not accepting the offer and asking can she think about it.

Old 01-17-2016, 10:35 AM

Quote:
I didn't read your entire post because you are very negative. I'm not sure why you keep responding. Whatever the reason - I hope you feel better.

FYI. When you decide to post your personal business on CD you're going to get various views, not just what you want to hear.

You sound very immature for a 35 year old woman.

You also contradict yourself.

If you don't need the money or insurance benefits because your husband does well, than why were you stressing over it and making it such an issue?

Something doesn't quite add up.

Old 01-17-2016, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarrel16567 View Post
What's wrong with telling someone u can start in a week? It shouldn't matter if you are unemployed people need time to get things in order before just starting a job right away. What she did wrong was not accepting the offer and asking can she think about it.
Come on. What do you have to get in order? Unemployed people aren't spending 8 hours a day looking for work, most have their houses in complete order including having the clothes in their closet color coded.

A better response would have been "as soon as you need me".

I really think the OP gave off a vibe between needing a week to start and the husband comment that employer picked up that she doesn't want the job, however there are two other people he interviewed who did.

I don't think he was professional, but he felt if he did give her the time it would have been a "no" from her anyway.

The only time you don't start a job right away is you have to give your current employer notice, which any decent new employer understands. When they know the person sitting across from them hasn't worked in months needs a week, they could question that.

Old 01-17-2016, 11:19 AM

5,839 posts, read 9,485,397 times
You should have negotiated the wage with him on the spot. don't "wait 24 hours" to "think it over".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or