U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2016, 03:58 PM

15,253 posts, read 8,560,668 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janie233 View Post
I did tell him I was excited about the offer and was very gracious. Yes I do hold it against him. Very rude and unprofessional in my opinion.
But would you have taken it as it was offered? You may not have actually lost anything, unless he was willing to negotiate (though YOU were not).

You can be pissed all you want, but go on to the next opportunity a little smarter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2016, 04:11 PM

9,361 posts, read 4,297,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
He took your "Have to think about it" as you did not really want the job so he made the offer to someone who accepted immediately.

Well at least he thought he might be in for exactly what the OP had planned, a negotiation of some sort.

I am certainly not excusing his offer of 24 hours only to renege on his word. Sadly few too many people honor their word or even consider it a stain on their integrity.

Ultimately if I were that employer and gave 24 hours, and the person tried to negotiate a different deal, I would then have no problem politely saying that I was going to choose another candidate. However to have done that prior, showed his lack of integrity.

As an FYI to the OP, this is a employers market with so many people out of work. So unless you have specialized skills that few other have, you will have to assume that "beggars cannot be choosers".

`

Old 01-14-2016, 04:20 PM

9,361 posts, read 4,297,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
Not necessarily less pay but perhaps the 2nd candidate didn't ask any questions.

No raises + few benefits = dead end anyway.

Maybe so, but when bills need to be paid, you take what you can get until something better comes along.

`

Old 01-14-2016, 04:25 PM

9,727 posts, read 4,579,211 times
Quote:
He should have expressed that when I asked for 1 day. He didn't. I was very serious, otherwise I would have turned it down on the spot. Unprofessional.
What was he supposed to say, no you cannot have 24 hours, accept right this second or the offer is off the table? Why would he do that if he wasn't sure their plan B would accept? He knew when you needed time to think that you were likely going to turn it down or ask for more than what was offered.

Old 01-14-2016, 04:32 PM

6,654 posts, read 18,699,047 times
Lets see now...."Administrative Assistant Position" must be a highly valued job...oh wait, it's a filing clerks job and they also have seven employees.

Old 01-14-2016, 04:47 PM

41 posts, read 31,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
But would you have taken it as it was offered? You may not have actually lost anything, unless he was willing to negotiate (though YOU were not).

You can be pissed all you want, but go on to the next opportunity a little smarter.

I'm not pissed. He was unprofessional. I had to think it over.

Old 01-14-2016, 04:51 PM

35,108 posts, read 40,306,147 times
Quote:
LOL ok... I will agree to disagree.
The truth is that you need him much more than he needs you, he knows it, he offered, you declined in his mind, end of discussion, he moved on, made an offer, got an acceptance, his day is done and he has what he needs which is a warm body and you have what? More interviews.

Old 01-14-2016, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
The truth is that you need him much more than he needs you, he knows it, he offered, you declined in his mind, end of discussion, he moved on, made an offer, got an acceptance, his day is done and he has what he needs which is a warm body and you have what? More interviews.
No. I don't need him as I'm not desperate. I'm married and fortunate to have a successful husband. But thanks for your opinion.

Old 01-14-2016, 05:44 PM

8,980 posts, read 8,125,611 times
Quote:
I'm not pissed. He was unprofessional. I had to think it over.
You had to think it over, and you had decided you would negotiate for a better deal. He probably read you right, and knew yo were going to pull his.

He also thought it over, and decided to hire someone who wanted the job, not someone that had to think it over and was only a maybe to take the job for the money he offered.

He was professional, and while you were thinking it over, he decided to do what was best for his needs, and hired someone that really wanted the job.

You played games, and lost.

Old 01-14-2016, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
You had to think it over, and you had decided you would negotiate for a better deal. He probably read you right, and knew yo were going to pull his.

He also thought it over, and decided to hire someone who wanted the job, not someone that had to think it over and was only a maybe to take the job for the money he offered.

He was professional, and while you were thinking it over, he decided to do what was best for his needs, and hired someone that really wanted the job.

You played games, and lost.
I disagree but thank you for your perspective.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or