U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2016, 07:29 AM

1,516 posts, read 969,911 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janie233 View Post
THIS. Yes thank you for understanding. For me I was upset about the fact that this guy didn't call me the day before or even the next day to tell me. He waited for me to call him. Its a red flag if an employer expects you to answer "right away" and I think I dodged a bullet.
I fully agree. Major bullet dodged here. It sounds like the employer thought he was doing you a favor by offering you the low wages (with no benefits), and was offended that you weren't doing back flips in excitement over the offer.

He would have been rough to work for, given the way this all went down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2016, 07:31 AM

14,688 posts, read 8,472,440 times
Quote:
We didn't discuss exact pay in the interview - just a range based on experience. I think many people would need some time to think about it if it wasn't what they had in mind for pay/salary. 24 hours is a very short amount of time.
Why are you upset? You didn't get a sucky job. It sounds like he did you a favor by hiring someone else at probably less pay than he offered you, and you did yourself a favor by not jumping at a sucky job offer. So many women agree to crappy offers of employment when they can do better, so props to you OP for telling him no (nicely). You can do better.

Old 01-15-2016, 07:46 AM

12,899 posts, read 8,730,792 times
Whenever a company pulls a fast one is a very good indication of the integrity of those in charge or their ruling system. Think of it as a blessing in disguise, never go and try to force a company to take you in if they like to bait and switch.

Old 01-15-2016, 07:53 AM

15,201 posts, read 8,509,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCresident2014 View Post
I fully agree. Major bullet dodged here. It sounds like the employer thought he was doing you a favor by offering you the low wages (with no benefits), and was offended that you weren't doing back flips in excitement over the offer.

He would have been rough to work for, given the way this all went down.
Maybe, maybe not....but at this point I guess "sour grapes" for the OP is the most soothing response though it doesn't help her be on the ball in the future.

Old 01-15-2016, 08:03 AM

9,649 posts, read 4,548,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
I think you do not get it. This lady can afford to be picky. She's not some 22 year old looking for her first gig. Her husband is the bread winner and she said that he is successful, presumable\y enough that if she remained unemployed, their quality of life would not suffer. She is lucky in that she does not HAVE to work. But she likes working or feeling productive or whatever. She's looking for a local admin asst. job, not to make partner in a top 4 law firm.
I bet the guy hiring got that, which is why he didn't sit around waiting on her.

Old 01-15-2016, 08:13 AM

6,226 posts, read 6,840,839 times
Quote:
So I have been unemployed for a few months now. I went on an interview on Tuesday with a small property management company for an administrative assistant position. The company has about 7 people in this office and they have all been there for several years. The woman that was retiring has been there for 16 years - which is why the position opened up. I was at the interview for a few hours and everyone I met with seemed very friendly, and receptive to my questions. A couple things I found out during the interview was that they don't offer any medical benefits and the other benefits like pto, vacation are really lacking. He also told me that he doesn't give raises but instead gives out 2 yearly bonuses. At the end of the interview they asked me if I was interested based on all the information given - I said yes. They asked me when I could start - I told them within about 1 week.

I received a phone call the very next day (Wednesday) with an offer of employment. I was surprised to hear back so fast but I wasn't thrilled with the hourly rate and felt it was a little low. I thanked him and I asked him if I could have 24 hours to think it over and speak with my husband about it. He said that would be fine. I stressed about it all last night and had planned to negotiate a better wage. I called him back today ready to negotiate and he tells me "I decided to hire someone yesterday"- I was floored. I said "I thought you were going to give me a day to think it over?" He said "Well we need someone to start right away and can't start right away" Which is bull because he told me he was fine with my availability. This jerk hired someone the same day he extended me an offer and told me I could have a day to think about it! I told him I thought this was extremely unprofessional and that the least he could have done was call me to let me know they gave the job to someone else! He could have called yesterday or this morning - but didn't even bother.

I'm sorry I'm just so surprised I was treated with such rudeness..
It seems offering bonuses over raises is becoming the new norm for many businesses these days over its employees, especially not offering insurance. But no vacation time etc? You are better off without this job.

Last edited by jmking; 01-15-2016 at 08:27 AM..

Old 01-15-2016, 08:46 AM

1,936 posts, read 936,834 times
All the responders have given the employee side of what should have happened but let me give the employer versions since I am one

1. The OP should have discussed the salary and benefits and not a range of salary at the interview. Makes the offer and acceptance of the offer much easier.

2. Many interviewees for admin positions confirm a time for interview but do not even bother to show up or call and state a reason. Everyone's time is wasted.

3. After an offer is made many don't return a call or they want to think about it but we don't hear from them. We later find that they have taken another position and moved on.

4. While waiting for a person offered a position to think / negotiate / make up his mind the other suitable candidates have found jobs and we have no one to offer a job to. And in the end, the initial person offered the job turns it down and we have wasted a lot of time and expense interviewing people and nothing to show for it.

Now I have become smart and know that I need to look out for my business. If I get the feeling that a person offered the job is not too keen and makes excuses or is likely to make unreasonable demands I move on to the next suitable person who will jump at it. Sorry, after having been burned too many times I have become smart at employing people.

Old 01-15-2016, 11:25 AM

5,509 posts, read 6,125,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCpl2 View Post
Well then obviously you do not care if you are unemployed or not.. If you do not want to waste anyone's time then maybe you should just sit and watch Oprah and not fill out an applications or go on interviews....
Quote:
lol really? Thats ridiculous and you know it.

I'm looking for the right fit. Not just any job and no I'm not desperate.
You're absolutely right, that was ridiculous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilypad1126 View Post
I definitely think it was shady what the hiring manager did. Asking for 24 hours to discuss it with your spouse is perfectly reasonable. If they were so hot to have you work for them, they would have given you 24 hours. Or, told you when you said that that 24 hours wasn't reasonable and they needed a firm decision from you by X time.

However, I was ready to turn down the job for you when you laid out the lack of benefits they offer. I get that working for small businesses doesn't offer the same benefits of working for a large company does. But those benefits sounded terrible. I think I would have told them right then that this job wasn't going to be a good fit for me.

I really do think they did you a favor.
I agree with Lilypad. You dodged a bullet for sure.

Old 01-15-2016, 11:35 AM

5,509 posts, read 6,125,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kamban View Post
All the responders have given the employee side of what should have happened but let me give the employer versions since I am one

1. The OP should have discussed the salary and benefits and not a range of salary at the interview. Makes the offer and acceptance of the offer much easier.

2. Many interviewees for admin positions confirm a time for interview but do not even bother to show up or call and state a reason. Everyone's time is wasted.

3. After an offer is made many don't return a call or they want to think about it but we don't hear from them. We later find that they have taken another position and moved on.

4. While waiting for a person offered a position to think / negotiate / make up his mind the other suitable candidates have found jobs and we have no one to offer a job to. And in the end, the initial person offered the job turns it down and we have wasted a lot of time and expense interviewing people and nothing to show for it.

Now I have become smart and know that I need to look out for my business. If I get the feeling that a person offered the job is not too keen and makes excuses or is likely to make unreasonable demands I move on to the next suitable person who will jump at it. Sorry, after having been burned too many times I have become smart at employing people.
Someone wanting 24 hours to consider an offer is not unreasonable. Your position is. If the candidate wants to negotiate and you don't, all you have to do is say no. Are you really in such an in-demand industry that the other candidates find jobs so quickly? If you're losing out on good people for those reasons, you need to figure out why your offers are so undesirable.

Old 01-15-2016, 11:42 AM

2,078 posts, read 1,854,906 times
Well, he gave it to the person who needed work badly. At this point, you either take a job, look while you're working or risk losing it to someone else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or