U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2016, 06:04 PM

5,509 posts, read 6,138,180 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by iskerbibel View Post
Wait- you're unemployed and you told a potential employer that you're have to 'think about' a cushy desk job?

Good lord...
Not every unemployed person is desperate enough to take any old job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2016, 06:28 PM

2,183 posts, read 1,732,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
He was hurt that you weren't excited about the job enough to jump at it. I understand that reaction. He doesn't want someone who isn't quite sure, or who may be unhappy with the job later on. He was caught off guard by your asking if you could think it over, so he just said yes w/o thinking. I wouldn't hold it against him.

Try to get a job with a bigger company that has some benefits. You need medical benefits or a retirement plan, at a minimum. A job without those things will hurt you financially big time, especially when you retire. Altho I understand that a small business can't afford those benefits.

It's probably for the best. You would've left that job as soon as you found something better, anyway, and he knew it.
Untrue small business can afford benefits especially a small property management firm. I worked at one for ten years and six months. There were 14 employees in total. We only had three properties, one small, one medium, and one semi-large, yet we had full medical, IRA match, 7 sick days a year, one week of vacation to begin with and another day every year. As well as annual raises. He just sounds like a cheapskate who has no idea how to run a property management firm and is running it into the ground.

Old 01-15-2016, 06:35 PM

2,183 posts, read 1,732,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melodica View Post
Asking to have time to think about it is NOT refusing.

That is completely ridiculous. Just because someone needs/wants a job does not mean they have to kneel down and kiss the feet of the employers.

The OP has stressed more than once that she is not desperate enough to take any position just because it was offered.

I usually don't do this, but TLDR. In any case, the guy should have told the OP he needed an answer right then instead of AGREEING to 24 hours and then reneging on it. Consider yourself lucky OP. If he's like that at this stage, he's probably a completely nightmare to actually work for!
I agree with everything you wrote here. You are arguing with excusers and they utter the same crap to excuse complete unprofessionalism in thread after thread. A company owner could be a mass murderer and they would find a way to excuse it.

Old 01-15-2016, 06:46 PM

17,003 posts, read 20,694,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janie233 View Post
So I have been unemployed for a few months now. I went on an interview on Tuesday with a small property management company for an administrative assistant position. The company has about 7 people in this office and they have all been there for several years. The woman that was retiring has been there for 16 years - which is why the position opened up. I was at the interview for a few hours and everyone I met with seemed very friendly, and receptive to my questions. A couple things I found out during the interview was that they don't offer any medical benefits and the other benefits like pto, vacation are really lacking. He also told me that he doesn't give raises but instead gives out 2 yearly bonuses. At the end of the interview they asked me if I was interested based on all the information given - I said yes. They asked me when I could start - I told them within about 1 week.

I received a phone call the very next day (Wednesday) with an offer of employment. I was surprised to hear back so fast but I wasn't thrilled with the hourly rate and felt it was a little low. I thanked him and I asked him if I could have 24 hours to think it over and speak with my husband about it. He said that would be fine. I stressed about it all last night and had planned to negotiate a better wage. I called him back today ready to negotiate and he tells me "I decided to hire someone yesterday"- I was floored. I said "I thought you were going to give me a day to think it over?" He said "Well we need someone to start right away and can't start right away" Which is bull because he told me he was fine with my availability. This jerk hired someone the same day he extended me an offer and told me I could have a day to think about it! I told him I thought this was extremely unprofessional and that the least he could have done was call me to let me know they gave the job to someone else! He could have called yesterday or this morning - but didn't even bother.

I'm sorry I'm just so surprised I was treated with such rudeness..
If you're married why are you concerned about medical benefits? Aren't you on your husband's plan?

Sorry you screwed up, they were probably wondering why someone who hasn't worked for a few months needs a week to start.

Not saying they were very professional, but it sounds like you gave off a vibe you weren't that interested.

It would have been smarter to take it and keep looking. As they say it's easier to find a job when you have a job.

Don't know what state you're in but I don't believe anyone is giving more than 26 weeks in regards to UE benefits, so you must be getting close to the end.

Old 01-15-2016, 06:49 PM

41 posts, read 31,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
If you're married why are you concerned about medical benefits? Aren't you on your husband's plan?

Sorry you screwed up, they were probably wondering why someone who hasn't worked for a few months needs a week to start.

Not saying they were very professional, but it sounds like you gave off a vibe you weren't that interested.

It would have been smarter to take it and keep looking. As they say it's easier to find a job when you have a job.

Don't know what state you're in but I don't believe anyone is giving more than 26 weeks in regards to UE benefits, so you must be getting close to the end.
I didn't screw up. I feel very confident in my decision now. Someone with no integrity will not be a good boss.

Old 01-15-2016, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jma501 View Post
I agree with everything you wrote here. You are arguing with excusers and they utter the same crap to excuse complete unprofessionalism in thread after thread. A company owner could be a mass murderer and they would find a way to excuse it.
Thank you my thoughts exactly. I actually received a few private messages saying to "ignore the trolls" I now see what they meant. Lol

Old 01-15-2016, 06:52 PM

I think it's sad some people would put down my job title like saying "anyone can do it" or "it doesn't take a rocket scientist" ..

As an administrative assistant I work very hard and take pride in my work. I have worked for executives and CEOs that could never do my job. Some of them don't know how to use a fax machine. Not cool to look down on me.

Old 01-15-2016, 06:58 PM

17,003 posts, read 20,694,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
I think you do not get it. This lady can afford to be picky. She's not some 22 year old looking for her first gig. Her husband is the bread winner and she said that he is successful, presumable\y enough that if she remained unemployed, their quality of life would not suffer. She is lucky in that she does not HAVE to work. But she likes working or feeling productive or whatever. She's looking for a local admin asst. job, not to make partner in a top 4 law firm.

The guy was unprofessional, but this is common behavior for small family owned businesses for low level hourly wage jobs. The problem with these types of business is that there are no set policies. If you like the people, the atmosphere is pleasant, and it's close to home, that's why an employee will work there. As you said, the last person retired after 16 years, but you can bet she wasn't retiring on her 401K from this place but rather was also married and her husband had been the breadwinner.
Than if that is the case why be concerned about salary being too low or benefits?

I know situations like you mentioned where the husband makes more than enough and if the wife wants to work(for something to do) they do volunteer work or get a part time job.

Old 01-15-2016, 07:15 PM

1,560 posts, read 1,059,709 times
This reminds me of someone I talked to a few months ago. She was working as a temp. The temp agency sent her to a client company to work. After some time, the company where she went to work hired her away from the temp agency due to the company being happy with her work. A few or so weeks later, the company hired another person for her job and now she is working in a different department of the company doing something completely different from what she was hired to do. Is this illegal or unethical?

Old 01-15-2016, 07:24 PM

1,950 posts, read 909,384 times
Be careful OP, as you mull over whether a job is cushy enough for you, there are others that will do and do with a commitment and zeal that you may have trouble keeping up with.

Your husband and his own cushy job aside, do you have a real desire to do the job anymore. I mean could you go into an admin role , paying $13 hr or whatever it is , and be content doing it?. Might you be deemed "overqualified" by some?. Sounds flattering until you are passed up on , or even worse , start the job and a few weeks later are then called into the big Office for some bad news.

See, the workplace has no time for people who consider themselves bigger than the job. That can be said for pretty much any industry. If you can't muster up a real desire or genuine yearning to return to work, without using your husband as a reference point, then you might not be so lucky in landing a job.

I have seen people similar to yourself last a very short time in an office environment. Same situation i.e husband is doing quite well and wife is bored and wants to return to work. Reason is that today there are many many very office tech savvy individuals , usually younger, that can do amazing things in terms of web design, office admin , software, accounting and pretty much anything office related. In essence you have stiff competition out there. If you do land something , be very grateful in this day and age to have that job.

What I find interesting is that given your financial security, you could bypass the whole office admin routine entirely. Maybe do something for your community e.g volunteer at a homeless shelter or humane society. These are just examples but I am sure you have your own favorite causes you could support. Think about it. Money is not the be all and end all of our existence. Count yourself lucky you dont have to worry in that regard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or