U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 01-15-2016, 09:25 PM
 
Location: Bordentown
1,707 posts, read 1,131,205 times
Reputation: 2533

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janie233 View Post
I think it's sad some people would put down my job title like saying "anyone can do it" or "it doesn't take a rocket scientist" ..

As an administrative assistant I work very hard and take pride in my work. I have worked for executives and CEOs that could never do my job. Some of them don't know how to use a fax machine. Not cool to look down on me.
Tis the world of the internets where people are miserable trolls who come out of the woodwork to judge, belittle, and put people down in order to make themselves feel better. Most of us are guilty of this to some degree...

Sorry this happened to you. While it stings, I think that in the end, this guy did you a favor. Find another job at another management company and try to forget this guy and his company. You didn't fail or do anything wrong. Forget the people who are telling you that your job is easy. They don't have to walk in your shoes (and maybe some of them have boring, mind-numbing jobs... you never know.) Chin up and... next!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-15-2016, 09:56 PM
 
Location: Arizona
5,510 posts, read 6,141,367 times
Reputation: 7288
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janie233 View Post
I think it's sad some people would put down my job title like saying "anyone can do it" or "it doesn't take a rocket scientist" ..

As an administrative assistant I work very hard and take pride in my work. I have worked for executives and CEOs that could never do my job. Some of them don't know how to use a fax machine. Not cool to look down on me.
There are a lot of bitter people in the W&E forum. Good for you for net letting them get to you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-15-2016, 10:05 PM
 
41 posts, read 31,164 times
Reputation: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by SageCats View Post
Tis the world of the internets where people are miserable trolls who come out of the woodwork to judge, belittle, and put people down in order to make themselves feel better. Most of us are guilty of this to some degree...

Sorry this happened to you. While it stings, I think that in the end, this guy did you a favor. Find another job at another management company and try to forget this guy and his company. You didn't fail or do anything wrong. Forget the people who are telling you that your job is easy. They don't have to walk in your shoes (and maybe some of them have boring, mind-numbing jobs... you never know.) Chin up and... next!
Thanks - I never understood people that enjoy making others feel small.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-15-2016, 10:08 PM
 
968 posts, read 576,165 times
Reputation: 875
It's hard to find a good Administrative Assistant. There's plenty of horrible ones out there... usually the ones who have the "anyone can do this attitude". I have to spend quite a bit of time to find my assistants. I currently have two wonderful ladies that I would hate to lose.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-15-2016, 10:18 PM
 
41 posts, read 31,164 times
Reputation: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Hospitality View Post
It's hard to find a good Administrative Assistant. There's plenty of horrible ones out there... usually the ones who have the "anyone can do this attitude". I have to spend quite a bit of time to find my assistants. I currently have two wonderful ladies that I would hate to lose.
Its good to hear that you appreciate them!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-15-2016, 11:17 PM
 
8,153 posts, read 8,644,493 times
Reputation: 9152
Quote:
Originally Posted by SageCats View Post
Tis the world of the internets where people are miserable trolls who come out of the woodwork to judge, belittle, and put people down in order to make themselves feel better. Most of us are guilty of this to some degree...

Sorry this happened to you. While it stings, I think that in the end, this guy did you a favor. Find another job at another management company and try to forget this guy and his company. You didn't fail or do anything wrong. Forget the people who are telling you that your job is easy. They don't have to walk in your shoes (and maybe some of them have boring, mind-numbing jobs... you never know.) Chin up and... next!
Exactly. And they are also mind-readers too. They apply their own experience to someone who writes a post, knowing very little about the actual circumstances of the poster.And the OP never stated that she getting unemployment benefits, but rather that she had not been working for a while.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-16-2016, 04:57 AM
 
5,190 posts, read 4,057,692 times
Reputation: 13174
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
If you're married why are you concerned about medical benefits? Aren't you on your husband's plan?

Sorry you screwed up, they were probably wondering why someone who hasn't worked for a few months needs a week to start.

Not saying they were very professional, but it sounds like you gave off a vibe you weren't that interested.

It would have been smarter to take it and keep looking. As they say it's easier to find a job when you have a job.

Don't know what state you're in but I don't believe anyone is giving more than 26 weeks in regards to UE benefits, so you must be getting close to the end.
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Than if that is the case why be concerned about salary being too low or benefits?

I know situations like you mentioned where the husband makes more than enough and if the wife wants to work(for something to do) they do volunteer work or get a part time job.
Thank you, sean dublin. These were the exact questions that I had while reading this.

Actions and words are not lining up.

Why would the OP go home and stress over the offer if she didn't need the job?

Why does ANY of this matter if she didn't need the job?

She is putting herself through an awful lot for someone who doesn't need the money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-16-2016, 05:44 AM
 
18,911 posts, read 7,363,495 times
Reputation: 8076
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janie233 View Post
I didn't screw up. I feel very confident in my decision now..
If you did, you would have forgotten it already. You would not even start a thread. You would figure, hey hundreds of more jobs are waiting just for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-16-2016, 05:46 AM
 
18,911 posts, read 7,363,495 times
Reputation: 8076
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Hospitality View Post
It's hard to find a good Administrative Assistant. There's plenty of horrible ones out there... usually the ones who have the "anyone can do this attitude". I have to spend quite a bit of time to find my assistants. I currently have two wonderful ladies that I would hate to lose.

Sound hiring practices weed out most bad hiring options. Your time was well spent. I dislike employers that fail to weed out, as both employer and employees are done a disservice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-16-2016, 06:40 AM
 
41 posts, read 31,164 times
Reputation: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
If you did, you would have forgotten it already. You would not even start a thread. You would figure, hey hundreds of more jobs are waiting just for me.
I disagree but ok.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top