Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2016, 12:05 PM

4,902 posts, read 4,215,846 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red On The Noodle View Post
Ten to one he offered the second candidate less pay than you and that person jumped on it. He did you a favor
He could have made the same offer believing the OP was going to ask for more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2016, 01:09 PM

1,039 posts, read 1,158,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarksvillemom View Post
that's potentially breach of an oral contract of employment but not worth litigating
No it is not. If you alter the terms of the offer it is void.

Old 01-15-2016, 01:13 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,764,474 times
Quote:
Someone wanting 24 hours to consider an offer is not unreasonable. Your position is. If the candidate wants to negotiate and you don't, all you have to do is say no. Are you really in such an in-demand industry that the other candidates find jobs so quickly? If you're losing out on good people for those reasons, you need to figure out why your offers are so undesirable.
What the employer wants, is a basic office worker that can handle paperwork, take papers to escrow company, etc. It does not take a rocket scientist to do the job, so there are a lot of good people available. If the applicant wants to think about it for a while, the odds are they won't take the job. When you need such a job filled now, if you wait for the applicant to turn it down, and have to start over again with interviews. Odds are that he had more than one interview set up, and if the applicant had taken the job would have called the others and said the job was filled. As the applicant said they wanted to think about it and there were other appointments he would not cancel until the job was filled, he simply found another good person for the job and offered it to them. He/She took it.

Remember the OP was not willing to accept the job as offered, so t he OP should not be angry she did not get the job.

For that type of basic position, any employer would have done what that one did. As he OP was still not willing to take the job at the pay offered and wanted to negotiate, what is she complaining about when he gave the job to someone else.

According to the OP he has he same people working for him for years. So he must be a decent employer or he could not keep people the way he does.

The business is one that the office help, are the only on that works on a salary. Everyone else will be on commission. Earn a good paycheck and you can make good money. No sales, and you don't get a check.

He pays a twice yearly bonus. That in almost all cases, means he pays out part of the profits depending on the profits the company made. If the business does good, the bonus gets larger, and if it has no business, the bonus will be small or none existent.

In the real estate business, having a good assistant is important for the broker. The assistant makes it possible to make more money. The twice yearly bonus, is a way to reward the assistant for the help they give.

Many on these threads yell about the corporate CEOs, etc., making so much money. A lot of those, only make money if the company does. Their salary will be as low as $1 per year (minimum you can pay an employee). They got a big check because due to their efforts and knowledge they earned a bonus. They may make millions, but it is similar to a salesman making a commission on their sales. If he company does not make profit over a certain amount, they don't get a bonus or merit pay that year. $1 does not go very far.

This boss pays low, then gives a bonus to compensate. Help him make more money, and you get a share.

From when I got out of the Navy in 1954 till I finally fully retired, I only worked on commission, and bonus. If I did not make a profit for the company I worked for or owned, I did not get a paycheck, so understand a smaller salary, and a bonus. I always got a paycheck and never went a month without doing so. I have gotten some terrific sized bonuses.

As I was in the real estate business so long, I know the value of a good assistant. Mine took real estate courses at the big state university, to learn the paperwork. She was a university trained Para-Legal specializing in Real Estate. She was the trainer for doing the closing paperwork on real estate sales for the county Closer's Association, and was the only one belonging to the association that did not work for attorneys with real estate specialization or a title escrow company. In the state we had our office, real estate offices could close the sales. A lot of our business was way more complicated than the normal closer can handle. They may involve property in several states and in a few situations properties in other countries. There could be as many as 7 different owners involving 7 or more properties in a running exchange, with some being bought, some sold, and the rest exchanged for a 1031 tax deferred exchange, and some I may be acting as a principal instead of an agent in that particular running exchange. A normal closer, would have no idea of where to start on such a closing as they never have had such a transaction to close. There could be things other than real estate involved, including a $50,000 Twin Engine Turbo Prop airplane used as a down payment on a property involved in a 5 owner/property exchange.

She was also a real estate broker but never made a sale nor did she attempt to. We had a one man office with an assistant. I could earn a heck of a lot more working this way, than having a bunch of salespeople. I did not sell single family homes for personal residences. I handled investment accounts for clients more or less how stock brokers handle their clients investments. I was married to my assistant, and now have been married for 64 years.

Some of you may think it terrible the guaranteed pay is low, but you do not consider what the bonus may be. The annual income may be pretty darn good when the bonus is added in.

Old 01-15-2016, 01:36 PM

6,131 posts, read 7,986,461 times
Several issues with the above post, including being too long. But as to the salary/bonus scenario, that is not a good situation for the employee. The salary never increases so you can't build up on your income on an annual basis, but living expenses will increase every year, and bonuses are never guaranteed.

Old 01-15-2016, 01:41 PM

41 posts, read 42,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnp292 View Post
Several issues with the above post, including being too long. But as to the salary/bonus scenario, that is not a good situation for the employee. The salary never increases so you can't build up on your income on an annual basis, but living expenses will increase every year, and bonuses are never guaranteed.
That's how I felt about regarding raises too. I feel much better now looking back on all the red flags. It wasn't the right job.

Old 01-15-2016, 02:40 PM

2,684 posts, read 2,400,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janie233 View Post
That's how I felt about regarding raises too. I feel much better now looking back on all the red flags. It wasn't the right job.
True. Even McDonalds gives raises (and benefits!), so no need to work for this guy. He seemed like a terrible boss from the facts you laid out.

Old 01-15-2016, 03:45 PM

1,359 posts, read 1,806,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Actually the point is he made an offer, you in essence refused, he moved on and owes you nothing more.
Asking to have time to think about it is NOT refusing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCpl2 View Post
Well then obviously you do not care if you are unemployed or not.. If you do not want to waste anyone's time then maybe you should just sit and watch Oprah and not fill out an applications or go on interviews....
That is completely ridiculous. Just because someone needs/wants a job does not mean they have to kneel down and kiss the feet of the employers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
The truth is that you need him much more than he needs you, he knows it, he offered, you declined in his mind, end of discussion, he moved on, made an offer, got an acceptance, his day is done and he has what he needs which is a warm body and you have what? More interviews.
The OP has stressed more than once that she is not desperate enough to take any position just because it was offered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
Some of you may think it terrible the guaranteed pay is low, but you do not consider what the bonus may be. The annual income may be pretty darn good when the bonus is added in.
I usually don't do this, but TLDR. In any case, the guy should have told the OP he needed an answer right then instead of AGREEING to 24 hours and then reneging on it. Consider yourself lucky OP. If he's like that at this stage, he's probably a completely nightmare to actually work for!

Old 01-15-2016, 04:22 PM

6,131 posts, read 7,986,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melodica View Post
I usually don't do this, but TLDR.
And mostly irrelevant.

Old 01-15-2016, 05:52 PM

11,635 posts, read 12,703,351 times
The OP has stated repeatedly that she did not need the job to pay her bills. It did sound like a crappy job and if the OP has other priorities in her desire for a job (easy commute, good working hours, pleasant atmosphere, etc.), then losing the job doesn't really matter. The employer was unprofessional because he agreed to wait for her answer in 24 hours. If she didn't call back in 24 hours, that would have been the time to offer the job to candidate #2 or he could have called the OP right away and told her that he had another qualified candidate and that if she didn't want the job, he was going to give it to another person. It's a matter of keeping your word, playing fair, and showing integrity. It's like anything else. If a store says this product is on sale for 24 hours, then the sale price is good for 24 hours. At hour 24 and one minute, the sale is over. You say what you mean and mean what you say.

For the OP, sure there's a lot to think about. Maybe, the OP didn't like the salary, but it was convenient to home or she wanted the experience in this type of industry or a thousand other factors besides money that made her not turn down the offer immediately. She wanted to go home and talk it over with her husband first just to get another opinion before she turned down the offer. There's nothing wrong with that and the employer agreed to wait.

It could have gone the other way. The op could have accepted the offer. Then, took a different job without telling the first employer and not show up at the expected time and date. That would have been unprofessional too.

Old 01-15-2016, 06:00 PM

72 posts, read 294,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janie233 View Post
So I have been unemployed for a few months now. I went on an interview on Tuesday with a small property management company for an administrative assistant position. The company has about 7 people in this office and they have all been there for several years. The woman that was retiring has been there for 16 years - which is why the position opened up. I was at the interview for a few hours and everyone I met with seemed very friendly, and receptive to my questions. A couple things I found out during the interview was that they don't offer any medical benefits and the other benefits like pto, vacation are really lacking. He also told me that he doesn't give raises but instead gives out 2 yearly bonuses. At the end of the interview they asked me if I was interested based on all the information given - I said yes. They asked me when I could start - I told them within about 1 week.

I received a phone call the very next day (Wednesday) with an offer of employment. I was surprised to hear back so fast but I wasn't thrilled with the hourly rate and felt it was a little low. I thanked him and I asked him if I could have 24 hours to think it over and speak with my husband about it. He said that would be fine. I stressed about it all last night and had planned to negotiate a better wage. I called him back today ready to negotiate and he tells me "I decided to hire someone yesterday"- I was floored. I said "I thought you were going to give me a day to think it over?" He said "Well we need someone to start right away and can't start right away" Which is bull because he told me he was fine with my availability. This jerk hired someone the same day he extended me an offer and told me I could have a day to think about it! I told him I thought this was extremely unprofessional and that the least he could have done was call me to let me know they gave the job to someone else! He could have called yesterday or this morning - but didn't even bother.

I'm sorry I'm just so surprised I was treated with such rudeness..
Wait- you're unemployed and you told a potential employer that you're have to 'think about' a cushy desk job?

Good lord...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search