Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2016, 01:09 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,245,044 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Well, of COURSE they can't/WON'T do your job - they get paid hundreds of thousands of dollars and it is not worth their time to use a fax machine (people still fax?!). If they DID do your job you wouldn't have one. We all have to understand our role in an organization.

BTW - you'd said you needed 24 hours to talk to your husband...no way would I have said that. You don't tip an employer off to your family situation...probably figured there would be kid issues or that you might be kinda passive if you defer to your husband. I'm not saying that you are, but when you share info like that you invite someone to start thinking and that's never a good thing!
Your point about 'talk to your husband' is appropriate. While this might not have been the case here, in many corporate environments if you talk too much about family during the interview your loyalty and dedication will be questioned.

This was a situation where OP either had to accept the offer as-is immediately or it never would have worked out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2016, 01:20 PM

41 posts, read 42,338 times
I think what many of you don't get is that he did not keep his word. When i give my word to someone that means I keep it. He could have said no I can't give you 24 hrs or just said never mind about the offer if he didnt like me asking for a day. But he didn't - he agreed and without hesitation. Those of you that think this is acceptable behavior obviously do not get or have integrity.

My husband is a very established in his career and he has said the same thing.

Say what you want now but I feel great that he has shown how he is. You won't change my mind.

Old 01-16-2016, 01:22 PM

1,950 posts, read 1,128,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janie233 View Post
I think what many of you don't get is that he did not keep his word. When i give my word to someone that means I keep it. He could have said no I can't give you 24 hrs or just said never mind about the offer if he didnt like me asking for a day. But he didn't - he agreed and without hesitation. Those of you that think this is acceptable behavior obviously do not get or have integrity.

My husband is a very established in his career and he has said the same thing.

Say what you want now but I feel great that he has shown how he is. You won't change my mind.
The angry faced emoji associated with this thread is an inaccurate representation of how you feel. For someone who feels great, I would have expected a smiley.

There's plenty of opportunity out there. Best of luck!

Old 01-16-2016, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Hospitality View Post
The angry faced emoji associated with this thread is an inaccurate representation of how you feel. For someone who feels great, I would have expected a smiley.

There's plenty of opportunity out there. Best of luck!
Yes I felt badly few days ago but I have had time to think about it and get some great advice

Old 01-16-2016, 01:43 PM

38 posts, read 39,290 times
This is the reason why I always say yes to everything until I know for sure I have something else. I rather give a company a verbal yes and tell myself I will think about it before the start date. My goal when seeking employment was to secure a start date first and then think about whether or not I really wanted it.

Old 01-16-2016, 01:49 PM

Quote:
I'll agree to disagree. I'm not looking for "any" job. I take it seriously and don't want to waste my time or the companies time if its not the right fit. I'm professional like that. They obviously weren't.
I agree with you that even when unemployed you should never take any job but I don't think it's a good idea to tell an employer you will think about it. See it's better to secure a start date so you atleast know you have one job in the bag and can see if it;'s anything else out there before the start date. The only time I would tell an employer I would like to think about it is if I am already employed and can afford to lose out on the opportunity.

Old 01-16-2016, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarrel16567 View Post
I agree with you that even when unemployed you should never take any job but I don't think it's a good idea to tell an employer you will think about it. See it's better to secure a start date so you atleast know you have one job in the bag and can see if it;'s anything else out there before the start date. The only time I would tell an employer I would like to think about it is if I am already employed and can afford to lose out on the opportunity.
Sorry but that's dishonest to me.

Old 01-16-2016, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Sorry but that's dishonest to me.
I believe you have to do what's best for you in this economy and if that means saying yes to one employer until another employer gets back to you then that's how it has to be.

Old 01-16-2016, 02:49 PM

1,359 posts, read 1,806,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
But if the job was REALLY that lousy then why even take any time to apply, much less 24 hours to consider the offer? I think the story is changing as we go along ... sour grapes makes us all feel better when we lose out on something.
Because all you know when you apply to a job is what the employer tells you. They probably didn't mention in the ad that there's no medical and no raises, so how is anyone supposed to know that when they apply?

The fact that the OP wasn't completely happy with the pay/benefits or that she needed time to think have nothing to do with the point of the thread - which is that the employer agreed to give her time and then went back on that. Capice?

Old 01-16-2016, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melodica View Post
Because all you know when you apply to a job is what the employer tells you. They probably didn't mention in the ad that there's no medical and no raises, so how is anyone supposed to know that when they apply?

The fact that the OP wasn't completely happy with the pay/benefits or that she needed time to think have nothing to do with the point of the thread - which is that the employer agreed to give her time and then went back on that. Capice?
I don't think someone who is unemployed should ever tell a employer "can I have some time to think about it?" Why say something like that when you are trying to re-enter the workforce? Even if the OP wasn't that excited about she should have atleast tried to secure a start date so that she would have one job in the bag.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search