Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2016, 01:30 PM

1,359 posts, read 1,806,896 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarrel16567 View Post
Why not think about it between the time she accepts the offer and the day she starts the job?
Because some people won't compromise their own personal ethics just for the sake of a paycheck. The OP was doing the EMPLOYER a favor by thinking about it rather than accepting and then backing out and leaving him in a bind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
What so many of you are not paying attention to, is the man pays a bonus twice a year, and that you can bet is based on the volume of business they do, and the profit they make.
We're not paying attention to it because it's NOT relevant! The whole point of the post is that the man went back on his word.

In any case, I wish you luck with your next interview OP!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2016, 01:35 PM

2,183 posts, read 2,202,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
There's a lot of people here that appear to be trying harder to convince themselves than others.

All this talk about whether the guy was dishonest or not, generating an entire character profile based on one small event. I don't think this guy, in this small company with almost no turnover, really has much experience at all in hiring. I doubt he did anything intentional or even realized he was making a blood vow in the eyes of others. He was just caught unprepared by the question and stalled by giving the answer that keeps all options open. He could have handled it better for sure but I think this was more about his inexperience than lack of integrity.

All this talk about dodging a bullet and that this would have been a bad place to work, well I can't think of any better indicator of employee satisfaction than employee retention, and in this regard the company seems to be doing way better than most.

Now I do think the OP has the right to want to be compensated fairly regardless of what hubby makes or whether she needs it. It's about feeling valued and treated fairly. Look at how athletes will get in a snit over $16.1 million per year versus $15.9 million per year. It's not like they can't buy anything they want when they walk in a store. It's about getting compensated appropriately for your talent relative to what others are getting compensated.
There's inexperience and then there's lying which is a lack of integrity. Your item on employee retention presupposes he wasnt lying about that as well.

Old 01-18-2016, 01:43 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,219,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jma501 View Post
There's inexperience and then there's lying which is a lack of integrity. Your item on employee retention presupposes he wasnt lying about that as well.
And everything we know about the employer presupposes the OP wasn't lying...

Old 01-18-2016, 07:51 PM

2,183 posts, read 2,202,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
And everything we know about the employer presupposes the OP wasn't lying...
I sincerely doubt she was lying.

Old 01-18-2016, 09:13 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,219,693 times
I don't think she was lying either but if you're going to dismiss one person's opinion on the basis that the true story isn't really known then you might as well dismiss everyone's opinion because none of us can know for sure.

The key thing is the OP, who met and talked to these people, hasn't indicated in any way that she disbelieved that the employees have all been there for years and that the open position was from a lady retiring after 16 years, so why should you or I disbelieve it?

Old 01-21-2016, 12:50 PM

4,468 posts, read 10,615,820 times
Count your blessings that this company showed their true colors before you started working for them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search