U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2016, 10:48 AM

41 posts, read 31,105 times

Advertisements

So I have been unemployed for a few months now. I went on an interview on Tuesday with a small property management company for an administrative assistant position. The company has about 7 people in this office and they have all been there for several years. The woman that was retiring has been there for 16 years - which is why the position opened up. I was at the interview for a few hours and everyone I met with seemed very friendly, and receptive to my questions. A couple things I found out during the interview was that they don't offer any medical benefits and the other benefits like pto, vacation are really lacking. He also told me that he doesn't give raises but instead gives out 2 yearly bonuses. At the end of the interview they asked me if I was interested based on all the information given - I said yes. They asked me when I could start - I told them within about 1 week.

I received a phone call the very next day (Wednesday) with an offer of employment. I was surprised to hear back so fast but I wasn't thrilled with the hourly rate and felt it was a little low. I thanked him and I asked him if I could have 24 hours to think it over and speak with my husband about it. He said that would be fine. I stressed about it all last night and had planned to negotiate a better wage. I called him back today ready to negotiate and he tells me "I decided to hire someone yesterday"- I was floored. I said "I thought you were going to give me a day to think it over?" He said "Well we need someone to start right away and can't start right away" Which is bull because he told me he was fine with my availability. This jerk hired someone the same day he extended me an offer and told me I could have a day to think about it! I told him I thought this was extremely unprofessional and that the least he could have done was call me to let me know they gave the job to someone else! He could have called yesterday or this morning - but didn't even bother.

I'm sorry I'm just so surprised I was treated with such rudeness..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2016, 10:52 AM

35,108 posts, read 40,221,218 times
He took your "Have to think about it" as you did not really want the job so he made the offer to someone who accepted immediately.

Old 01-14-2016, 10:53 AM

5,028 posts, read 3,213,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janie233 View Post

I asked him if I could have 24 hours to think it over and speak with my husband about it.

I'm sorry I'm just so surprised I was treated with such rudeness..
From the sounds of what lack of benefits and stuff, I'd say the owner is a control freak and you're way better off not to have gotten the job. He expected you to "Grab it" and so when you said "I'll think it over" his response (Internally) was "That #$%^& thinks she'll get more? #@$% her!" and so he then tells you to "F(*&^ Off" and probably smiled as he hung up....

Old 01-14-2016, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgustedman View Post
From the sounds of what lack of benefits and stuff, I'd say the owner is a control freak and you're way better off not to have gotten the job. He expected you to "Grab it" and so when you said "I'll think it over" his response (Internally) was "That #$%^& thinks she'll get more? #@$% her!" and so he then tells you to "F(*&^ Off" and probably smiled as he hung up....
From my experience its not a good sign when an employer expects you to give an answer right away. I guess its better I know now how this guy is.

Old 01-14-2016, 11:01 AM

1,815 posts, read 2,242,681 times
Ten to one he offered the second candidate less pay than you and that person jumped on it. He did you a favor

Old 01-14-2016, 11:03 AM

9,778 posts, read 16,975,296 times
From his perspective, what is there to think about? You are unemployed, he told you the conditions of employment, and you said you were interested in the job based on the information provided. He offers you the job, but now you need to think about it, so he moves on to someone who doesn't need to think about it. I'm not saying I agree with it -- 24 hrs isn't going to have any impact on anything -- but that is probably what he was thinking.

Old 01-14-2016, 11:04 AM

6,295 posts, read 3,460,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red On The Noodle View Post
Ten to one he offered the second candidate less pay than you and that person jumped on it. He did you a favor
Not necessarily less pay but perhaps the 2nd candidate didn't ask any questions.

No raises + few benefits = dead end anyway.

Old 01-14-2016, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
From his perspective, what is there to think about? You are unemployed, he told you the conditions of employment, and you said you were interested in the job based on the information provided. He offers you the job, but now you need to think about it, so he moves on to someone who doesn't need to think about it. I'm not saying I agree with it -- 24 hrs isn't going to have any impact on anything -- but that is probably what he was thinking.
We didn't discuss exact pay in the interview - just a range based on experience. I think many people would need some time to think about it if it wasn't what they had in mind for pay/salary. 24 hours is a very short amount of time.

Old 01-14-2016, 12:24 PM

2,008 posts, read 2,191,882 times
that's potentially breach of an oral contract of employment but not worth litigating

Old 01-14-2016, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarksvillemom View Post
that's potentially breach of an oral contract of employment but not worth litigating
I dont have an recourse.. nothing was in writing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or