U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2016, 10:34 AM

120 posts, read 83,978 times

Advertisements

For anyone looking to succeed in the job hunt, never give up. It took me an entire year to find a job I wanted, and 5 months to find a tolerable temporary job while I kept looking for the good job. I saw so many rejection emails, talked to dozens of recruiters, attended dozens of interviews and was rejected numerous times. If you keep going then eventually something will happen!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2016, 11:06 AM

3,315 posts, read 1,881,831 times
I know but I've been out of college for 5 years. This is not okay. Something could easily happen to me too. I'm not getting any help with my gastritis. I need to go to work before I get more ill and then won't ever be able to work. I cannot accept that. I need to do paid work for my emotional well being.
I just really wish I had gotten a coach sooner. Maybe we could have prevented my gastritis or even if we couldn't I would have a better doctor by now since I could easily spend the money/have wider insurance options. I'm too far gone that now every week I have to struggle not to fall apart when we're not getting anywhere.

I have been trying to do my sites to be more patient but I can't stand them anymore...all that time spent for little money but no one is wanting to pay me so I feel beyond guilty when I don't do them. Maybe I need to go back to Clickworker but I wasn't very good at it.

Last edited by Nickchick; 01-15-2016 at 11:18 AM..

Old 01-15-2016, 11:35 AM

5,037 posts, read 3,222,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahut2000 View Post
For anyone looking to succeed in the job hunt, never give up. It took me an entire year to find a job I wanted, and 5 months to find a tolerable temporary job while I kept looking for the good job. I saw so many rejection emails, talked to dozens of recruiters, attended dozens of interviews and was rejected numerous times. If you keep going then eventually something will happen!
You do have it right. I applied at one job, the offset for their low wage was that it was 40 hours and the work wasn't hard. However, I kind of think I won't be getting it, but no matter! Still looking and struggling with the job I have now.

Good thing? Have medical and will set up an appointment shortly...Maybe get some vicodin, or something that can keep the pain away just for 6 hours a day....

Old 01-15-2016, 11:37 AM

2,093 posts, read 1,860,464 times
Gastritis can be treated with herbal tea. It won't cure it 100% but it can keep it at bay.

I agree with not giving up. Something has to give one way or another.

Old 01-15-2016, 12:32 PM

1,228 posts, read 2,047,820 times
Quote:
What industry? What kind of job? I keep running into age discrimination and constant rejection.

Old 01-15-2016, 12:49 PM

15 posts, read 10,941 times
Now I don't feel as bad:

Odds Of Landing An Individual Job Through A Job Board Compared To … | reCareered.com

You’re over three times more likely to be hit by lightning … in your lifetime … than being hired by applying through a job board (Odds of getting hit by lightning in your lifetime 3,000 to 1).

You’re 30% more likely to be considered possessed by Satan than being hired by applying through a job board (Odds of being considered possessed by Satan: 7,000 to 1).
You’re about 20 times more likely to catch a ball at a major league ballgame than being hired through a job board (Odds of catching a ball at a major league ballgame: 563 to 1). I don’t know about you, but I’ve only caught one major league ball once (and I think that’s awfully unfair).
Your odds of being hired through a job board are the same as finding a 4 leaf clover on the first try (Odds of finding a four-leaf clover on first try: 10,000 to 1) – Consider it your lucky day.

Old 01-15-2016, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midtown mile girl View Post
What industry? What kind of job? I keep running into age discrimination and constant rejection.
I am going to be a wholesale & distribution manager in the industrial products/hvac/plumbing industry. My job before this has been in insurance and tech support. I had an interview lined up for another "desk" job but decided that's not how I want my life to be! My background is a social science undergrad and currently in school for business master's degree.

Old 01-15-2016, 01:03 PM

I did apply for this directly through the company web site, without knowing anyone who works there. I guess that still counts as a job board but it wasn't indeed/monster/linkedin etc. I did get some job interviews through recruiters but I never seemed to make it in the end. I am still not convinced by recruiters. I got this job through my own volition and a little luck! Maybe if I get hit by lightning, I will wake up a mathematical genius or something versus dead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daria1 View Post
Now I don't feel as bad:

Odds Of Landing An Individual Job Through A Job Board Compared To Ö | reCareered.com

Youíre over three times more likely to be hit by lightning Ö in your lifetime Ö than being hired by applying through a job board (Odds of getting hit by lightning in your lifetime 3,000 to 1).

Youíre 30% more likely to be considered possessed by Satan than being hired by applying through a job board (Odds of being considered possessed by Satan: 7,000 to 1).
Youíre about 20 times more likely to catch a ball at a major league ballgame than being hired through a job board (Odds of catching a ball at a major league ballgame: 563 to 1). I donít know about you, but Iíve only caught one major league ball once (and I think thatís awfully unfair).
Your odds of being hired through a job board are the same as finding a 4 leaf clover on the first try (Odds of finding a four-leaf clover on first try: 10,000 to 1) Ė Consider it your lucky day.

Old 01-15-2016, 01:11 PM

15 posts, read 10,941 times
Quote:
I did apply for this directly through the company web site, without knowing anyone who works there. I guess that still counts as a job board but it wasn't indeed/monster/linkedin etc. I did get some job interviews through recruiters but I never seemed to make it in the end. I am still not convinced by recruiters. I got this job through my own volition and a little luck! Maybe if I get hit by lightning, I will wake up a mathematical genius or something versus dead.

I've not had much luck with online job boards. Mostly I don't hear anything, and sometimes I get a fast rejection. The demand in my field is very low, so I'm applying for more speculative things. I don't really know what else to do at this point.

The first thing that I learned about recruiters is that the positions are filled extremely fast - like after 1-2 days of posting. If they contact you and you spend time trying to gather information, the opportunity may already be lost.

Old 01-15-2016, 06:00 PM

2,754 posts, read 1,321,237 times
If the job boards are hopeless, what are the alternatives? Please do not mention networking - I have found that to be hopeless as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search