U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2016, 09:30 AM

298 posts, read 206,164 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by IheartWA View Post
If you need some pens or water bottles, they're great.
it costs more $ to get there and back. And it's more than the price of those cheap pens and bottles with crap water. Get a Brita water filter pitcher and there's your "free water". You think they were "spring water"? lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2016, 11:09 AM

8,199 posts, read 6,165,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
They work for certain jobs such as retail and usually high revolving door jobs. Telemarketers, sales people, and security jobs are always in demand.
Yes, this was what I experienced also. My recollection was that it was light on retail and more focused on either scam jobs or commission-based jobs. They do mostly tell you to apply online. I remember thinking "what is the point of this?". I wondered if there was a company tax write-off or something.

Old 01-18-2016, 11:25 AM

8,880 posts, read 13,381,910 times
Worthless. A bunch of company reps handing out pens and water bottles as stated above and tell you to apply online. You would be more effective staying home and applying online rather than wasting your time there. The people there have no authority to make any decision regarding hiring or even interviewing.

Old 01-18-2016, 12:39 PM

298 posts, read 206,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
Worthless. A bunch of company reps handing out pens and water bottles as stated above and tell you to apply online. You would be more effective staying home and applying online rather than wasting your time there. The people there have no authority to make any decision regarding hiring or even interviewing.
And that's what I said too. Stay home and apply online. Save your money and your time. The people at those fairs who sit behind the silly booths are usually greenhorn hr people. They just run their mouth all day and laugh there. They don't take resumes or give you clues about serious paying jobs. They don't give you leads. They just waste your time. And who needs all that free junk they give out. How many pens, cups and that disgusting water does somebody need? So all that mess is supposed to make unemployed people feel better? You know what they can do with all that "free" crap...

Old 01-18-2016, 07:33 PM

1,545 posts, read 2,078,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
Mostly agree. I have never seen nor talked to anyone as of yet who was hired or gotten an interview right at the career fair. More often than naught you will be told to apply online, perhaps they will take your resume but it seems to depend on the employer but again more often than naught , going to a career fair will result in a lot of "Apply online".

Are they a waste of time? I mean it breaks the grind of applying online everyday, so that is a positive, you can usually get free pens and folders so that is a plus.

My view is, I am not rushing to every single career fair and they certainly are not my "go to" in terms of finding work, but I may go here and there, depending who is hosting it, if the roster of employers is listed online.

Old 01-18-2016, 09:20 PM

71 posts, read 44,891 times
The best career fairs are the ones businesses themselves hold. For example, the Westin was holding a career fair back in August where my cousin lived and he later got hired after his second interview. But I agree, most career fairs are a waste especially the University ones. It's only great if you looking to work in food and beverage meaning local fast food restaraunts or working at a temp company as a server or even working in retail. As for a professional job, keep on looking!!!

Old 01-19-2016, 09:17 AM

23,896 posts, read 17,793,937 times
Unless it is for college students or some sort of mass hire, no, I can't see them helping much.

Old 01-19-2016, 07:50 PM

17,489 posts, read 10,363,136 times
I haven't met anyone at any of my previous jobs that got the job from a fair.

As mentioned above, I can see if it's one company that is doing a public job thing on its premises.

There must be some sort of incentive for these companies to do these fairs, maybe a tax break or something. Because I doubt they hire much from these fairs, or they may tell the applicant to apply online and other B.S. they could have done without attending the fair.

Old 01-21-2016, 08:25 PM

1,378 posts, read 1,125,468 times
I've attended careers fairs hosted at professional development conferences. I've never found a job, but the connections I made by stopping by the booths of the various employers in attendance was valuable.

Old 01-21-2016, 10:10 PM

403 posts, read 320,575 times
I never wanted to be around my competition so I never went to job fairs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search