U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2008, 10:36 AM

1,888 posts, read 7,147,440 times

Advertisements

I haven't been in the job market for several years. Im finishing my last year of grad school and Im also in the process of relocating (which means I need a new job) I'm great at resumes/job searches/selling myself but Im in the middle of a big move and I just don't have time to keep up with it all at the moment.

I applied to several places (for employment) but I also applied to a few other places (for my internship) and now Im getting myself confused!! I think this means im in desperate need of a recruiter- I can't do this on my own at this point.

--Whew-- SOOO that brings me to this question: how do I find a legitimate recruiter? Online, in person, I don't care. I just need help.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2008, 10:52 AM

1,368 posts, read 5,976,201 times
Search for staffing companies that specialize in your field where you plan to relocate.

I've had good experiences working with TAC and Robert Half International.

Old 02-07-2008, 07:21 AM

3,570 posts, read 7,931,431 times
Robert Half is excellent! They support many industries. What is your chosen career field? That may help us give you specific recruiters to consider. also, depending on where you're relocating there may be local recruiters that could help too.

Old 02-07-2008, 02:41 PM

1,888 posts, read 7,147,440 times
I work for a mental health agency in an adolescent counseling program. I'm on year 3 of my job- really had no plans whatsoever in leaving but I figured it would make sense to relocate closer to my school at this time. I really hate the whole rigamaroo of the 'job search'. LOL. Interviews, wearing stuffy suits...... Ick!

I'm moving from Port St. Lucie to Palm Beach Gardens. I've actually heard of Robert Half but it always seems like the 'social service' 'mental health' industry is sort of...out there. Doesn't quite fit anyone's category. I'll give them a try but I did get a great update today from a place I had sent my resume to on Thursday. The HR person called me back not necessarily to set up an interview but to 'find out more about the program I was working in'. She liked the concept (it's a prevention program) and I sort of spoke casually about how she would love to bring something like that to her school. Not sure where she's going with this but she did say she'll forward the resume to the director.

Old 02-07-2008, 03:06 PM

5,975 posts, read 17,589,459 times
I suggest you try the companies' websites directly. There is a large presence in FL of several health insurance companies. Search and key in Behavioral Health as criteria within their career section. This is probably a better bet since most of them (health insurers) don't use recruiters to begin with.

Good luck with your job search!

Old 02-08-2008, 09:43 AM

Yeah, your industry is less likely to use recruiters than my tech industry :P

Old 02-09-2008, 12:38 PM

11 posts, read 135,196 times
I have never used Robert Half but have not heard many good comments about them. I would check into their reputation (work friends, colleagues, msg boards, forums) for your specific industry/field before putting much faith in them. I've heard Robert Half Legal is fairly good at placing temporary employment but not so good for long-term. One sign of the likelihood of them placing you is how quickly they respond to your inquiry, I know it may seem obvious but worth noting! That said also be aware that they have quotas for generating leads, so one callback from them may not mean a whole lot. And be sure to ask them specific questions on placement stats and what not, especially before you fork over any money. Best of luck!!

Old 02-09-2008, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBoston View Post
I have never used Robert Half but have not heard many good comments about them. I would check into their reputation (work friends, colleagues, msg boards, forums) for your specific industry/field before putting much faith in them. I've heard Robert Half Legal is fairly good at placing temporary employment but not so good for long-term. One sign of the likelihood of them placing you is how quickly they respond to your inquiry, I know it may seem obvious but worth noting! That said also be aware that they have quotas for generating leads, so one callback from them may not mean a whole lot. And be sure to ask them specific questions on placement stats and what not, especially before you fork over any money. Best of luck!!
Here's my experience with RHT (Robert Half tech)
I graduated HS, had some volunteer Tech experience, and they needed someone for a large PC install at Boeing. I put my resume up on Monster.com, and well, a recruiter at RHT found me (Seattle area, I'd be glad to DM anyone who wants his info), and asked me to come in for an interview. I did, and was handed the job right there (shows how desperate they were for this particular contract). I proved myself on that job, received a lot of compliments from both co-workers and the recruiters at Robert Half. Found out that we from RHT were getting paid less than others on the job, but I believe they also found that out and paid me better wages from then on.

I love my recruiter, he's a great guy, and whenever I head back to Seattle and I want a job for a week or two, I call him, and he tends to be really good at finding me one. I also know that he's had long-term contracts for me, but I moved to MT, and so he and I agreed it was best for me to not be bidding on those.

And, my friends have also had good experiences with them. we joke about the initial pay from time to time, but also understand that in Seattle, you deal with a LOT of people who really don't have any business anywhere near anything electrical.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search