Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-19-2016, 01:25 PM

71 posts, read 58,445 times

Advertisements

MLK Day just past, how long before employers will start giving people a call back? Jeesh, at this point, I'm drained from the job search. Really drained. I have rewritten both my cover letter and resume I don't know how many times. It's like why aren't these people calling me back? Did I give them the wrong number? At this point, I'm even more closer to joining the military. I see people who don't have the education that I do get jobs I've applied for, I have seen people who have a criminal background get jobs that I've applied for and it's very depressing. Here, I am 6, almost 7, months later wondering what in the hell am I doing wrong?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2016, 02:03 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,730,365 times
It's the day after the holiday, a lot of work to catch up on. If you aren't getting phone calls, have someone review your resume.

Old 01-19-2016, 03:39 PM

71 posts, read 58,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
It's the day after the holiday, a lot of work to catch up on. If you aren't getting phone calls, have someone review your resume.
My Business Writing teacher looked over my resume and gave me some criticism, most of it didn't have anything to do with the content- just font size and scan-ability. At this point, I'm out of options. It's only so many times you can write your resume and cover letter. It is still going to have the same jobs on there! I don't even think it matters at this point, other candidates may have a more impressive- i.e. their work history or in some cases they have connections- I know a few people who do, although not personally.

Old 01-21-2016, 12:55 PM

4,468 posts, read 10,609,664 times
Ask a someone in business whose opinion you value to take a look at your resume.

Old 01-25-2016, 12:39 AM

403 posts, read 472,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Having Faith in GA View Post
MLK Day just past, how long before employers will start giving people a call back? Jeesh, at this point, I'm drained from the job search. Really drained. I have rewritten both my cover letter and resume I don't know how many times. It's like why aren't these people calling me back? Did I give them the wrong number? At this point, I'm even more closer to joining the military. I see people who don't have the education that I do get jobs I've applied for, I have seen people who have a criminal background get jobs that I've applied for and it's very depressing. Here, I am 6, almost 7, months later wondering what in the hell am I doing wrong?
Every job ad is not real so try not to think it's your resume. I see the same job ads post over and over which is never a good a sign because it can mean the job has a high turnover or it's not real at all. So if someone is not calling back it's not always because they didn't like your resume just that it may not have been a real opening.

Old 01-25-2016, 07:12 AM

1,301 posts, read 3,576,452 times
You are not likely to get ANY response back from the majority of places you apply to. This is normal. There are just too many applicants. But if you have gotten zero response at all for six months, you need to have someone objective look at your resume and letters because they may be poorly written or not show you off to best effect.

I think I've read that a 1-in-10 response rate for applications (1 contact for every 10 applications) is these days considered pretty good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search