U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2016, 09:24 PM

23 posts, read 22,253 times

Advertisements

They have been around since 2009 and basically give fake job references and have other services. Has anyone used or considered using them?

CareerExcuse Job References
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2016, 10:21 PM

9,249 posts, read 11,799,248 times
I believe the key element of their service is they have actual companies that they can use as their references. So they are providing references and verification from a true business. This means if checked, they will find the business actually listed with an address, phone number, websites, etc.

However these companies are set up just to provide fake job history and references so they actually do not produce or provide any services to any other business. As a result, the names of those business are widely known. Background checking and employment verification companies have list of these paper companies. Additionally, every time a background company performs a verification, they do an electronic search of their database for prior verifications which may show that the company had 2,000 IT Mangers during the same period the person they are checking claims to have been an IT Manager. They also can check the financial databases that can trigger issues over how they could pay these so called employees what these employees claim they made and the company claimed they paid, when their financials don't add up; a big red flag.

Employment verification has become extremely sophisticated and fake employment and references are just so easy to catch. Fortunately for you, many companies try to save on this step by using national low bid services which means you just may be able to get away with it.

Old 01-22-2016, 05:45 AM

4,068 posts, read 2,933,728 times
What are you trying to hide? If it's a gap in employment that really isn't as much as a red flag as it once was. Or possibly a termination? I don't believe companies nowadays can really talk about the reasons behind a termination for fear of a lawsuit, so just list the stop/start dates and hope for the best.

As the poster above said, surely any type of semi-sophisticated company would have a list of these fake companies. Although I will say that my previous employment history consists of two companies that no longer exist due to buyouts and/or mergers, so I'm not exactly sure how these companies are verifying my employment there.

Old 01-22-2016, 07:23 AM

23 posts, read 22,253 times
I taught in Korea in the public school system EPIK (English Program in Korea) for 5 years and in Saudi for another 3. The company I worked for in Saudi lost a major contract with King Saud University and shut down, so I can't get a working reference. EPIK will not respond to enquiries from anyone about my employment so I'm left with an 8 year gap.

Old 01-22-2016, 09:54 AM

4,068 posts, read 2,933,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strode2 View Post
I taught in Korea in the public school system EPIK (English Program in Korea) for 5 years and in Saudi for another 3. The company I worked for in Saudi lost a major contract with King Saud University and shut down, so I can't get a working reference. EPIK will not respond to enquiries from anyone about my employment so I'm left with an 8 year gap.
I would include that on your resume regardless. I think the alternative of using that fake service would probably reduce the probability of losing the job.

You also have to think about if you actually got the job after using fake references. Are you really going to play that charade with your new co-workers for years and years? My colleagues are always asking me about a past job or someone I had worked with, trying to fudge that stuff on-demand would get old after a while.

Old 01-22-2016, 10:26 AM

8,788 posts, read 13,274,979 times
For most jobs the background check isn't that elaborate. They aren't going to spend hours investigating whether the company is legit or not. They call the company and if it matches what is on your resume it is a check mark. I wouldn't try that for a govt job where they do formal investigations and such especially for public safety or clearance needed jobs.

As for the ethicality salespeople have been using fake endorsements/promotions pretty much for centuries. Those folks who say great things about products on commercials are by and large paid actors.

Old 01-23-2016, 11:15 AM

4,125 posts, read 4,136,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
For most jobs the background check isn't that elaborate. They aren't going to spend hours investigating whether the company is legit or not. They call the company and if it matches what is on your resume it is a check mark. I wouldn't try that for a govt job where they do formal investigations and such especially for public safety or clearance needed jobs.

As for the ethicality salespeople have been using fake endorsements/promotions pretty much for centuries. Those folks who say great things about products on commercials are by and large paid actors.
Uhhhh about that. You have to connect that also to how many companies do government work. I start each morning checking state debarment lists. I'm not doing business with any of them. Legit or not I am allowed to consider online sources (per the state SC) as a factor in doing business.

Old 01-23-2016, 02:50 PM

684 posts, read 500,309 times
References that I can pay, works for me the best. There is 2 schools of recruiters in my profession. The unpleasant school asks for references up front and then checks em and then can not deliver the job that might interest you. I had one of my references complain that reciter demanded to speak to his manager. Can you imagine, my former manager having to speak to 15 different recruiters because he is listed as a reference.... It's like it's his job to talk to these m0rons !

So yes, references that I can pay to talk to these....

Old 01-23-2016, 03:28 PM

8,788 posts, read 13,274,979 times
I just won't deal with recruiters that burn through your references like that.

Old 01-23-2016, 03:51 PM

684 posts, read 500,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
I just won't deal with recruiters that burn through your references like that.
I get 1 recruiter contact a week while I am not looking for work, there is just to many agencies. I get a phone call on Wednesday on my private cell. My cell is registered on do not call.

I checked indeed and the jobs they are harassing me about are listed there. If you submit a resume online you would expect to be called by a recruiter. But this is just annoying. Often they cant even email a job description....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or