U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2016, 01:03 PM

5,021 posts, read 3,209,323 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ialwayswin001 View Post
In the past 9 years I've worked 4 different jobs, one of which my boss was my relative and another where I am still in contact with my boss. Never did they mentioned that they were contacted when I applied for a job. I've applied and worked for big companies too, so it's not like I am applying for fast food restaurants. I am wondering is contacting past employers "outdated"? I always put yes on my resume even though my last boss didn't like me.
The one I'm working for now, only wanted 2 references. But the quesiton was this:

"How would you say this person would act if fired?"

That's all they asked....Nothing more. Good thing I pleased my last boss so well and had a church member number for the second....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2016, 01:05 PM

5,021 posts, read 3,209,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
They're looking you up on social media instead. You can find out a lot about a person through their online activity.
Hee hee hee. That's why it's best to NOT use your RL name (I used a "Modified" name for my FB posts....) but have nothing else out there really embarrassing.

Best thing to do is Google your name....Helps a bit.

Old 01-23-2016, 01:18 PM

848 posts, read 640,949 times
My current job I got 2 months ago asked for them on the application but did not call them. I think it depends on the company if they actually call your references. They did a background check to verify my employment and had trouble verifying my position with the temp agency so that asked for a pay stub and I gave it to them but they never physically called my references.

Last edited by Poor Chemist; 01-23-2016 at 01:31 PM..

Old 01-23-2016, 01:40 PM

1,068 posts, read 1,468,115 times
I just started my 6th job out of college and as far as I know this job was the first time a reference was called (2 of them in fact). I'm pretty sure that those references helped me get the job as I thought my interview went terrible. I was so surprised when they offered me. I'd say the vast majority of times potential employers don't contact past employers except maybe to confirm dates of employment. Still, it's good to have a few references you can count on when you actually do need a reference.

Old 01-23-2016, 01:55 PM

1,368 posts, read 1,111,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ialwayswin001 View Post
In the past 9 years I've worked 4 different jobs, one of which my boss was my relative and another where I am still in contact with my boss. Never did they mentioned that they were contacted when I applied for a job. I've applied and worked for big companies too, so it's not like I am applying for fast food restaurants. I am wondering is contacting past employers "outdated"? I always put yes on my resume even though my last boss didn't like me.

In my case, with a large organization they verified past employment and criminal history, but did not check my references. I know this because 1 month or so into my new job, I found out from colleagues that no one contacted them.

Old 01-23-2016, 04:53 PM

10,305 posts, read 11,214,258 times
Where I work we consistently check employment references for applicants before we interview people. I have rarely, if ever, found an employer who was unwilling to provide a broad range of information on an applicant's strengths and weaknesses.

And no, there is no law that prohibits an employer from providing this information.

Old 01-23-2016, 04:56 PM

10,321 posts, read 9,372,412 times
There's usually the typical questions one could ask a former employer:

1) Validating dates of employment
2) Salary range
3) Would you rehire this individual? (the best question!)

Old 01-23-2016, 07:07 PM

9,778 posts, read 16,966,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The5thOfNovemner View Post
There is a limit to what HR can say when they do get contacted. They can not give out your salary without your written permission. I think they can confirm your start and end date and that's about it.
100% false. As has been noted over and over again on this forum, previous employers are allowed to say anything they want as long as it is factual. As a matter of policy, a lot of places choose to only provide dates of employment.

Old 01-23-2016, 07:08 PM

9,778 posts, read 16,966,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holycoke View Post
No they can get sued the most they can ask or tell is "did they work here" that's the most they can verify unless they know someone from your previous job personally and can talk to them off the record, which is possible and occurs, but is unlikely.
Also completely false.

Old 01-23-2016, 08:31 PM

1,068 posts, read 1,468,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holycoke View Post
Sometimes having a "bad interview" is the best way to get hired. You don't want to appear as a threat to your "superiors".
Haha, there are times when that would apply but in this case I don't think it would. However, I'm starting to think there were other factors at play besides by my job skills. When I think about it there are several questions I should have, but didn't, ask during the interview.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or