U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-25-2016, 12:09 PM

403 posts, read 315,147 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
And here we go again (and again).

Appears as if quite a few people still believe the myth that ALL companies will not divulge details on an employee besides dates worked, based on a supposed fear of a lawsuit.

As has been pointed out many times before here, there are no laws preventing an employer from giving details on a former employee besides dates of employment.

Sure, some places may not do so as policy, but not all places.

So it's not illegal to give details on why you were fired, your performance, etc., as long as it is true.

Plus there are many other ways to screen an employee.

It could be a simple matter of seeing whether the applicant is eligible for rehire. Or as mentioned above off hand off the record references in many industries where everyone knows each other.

Why else does practically every single advice on what to do after being fired mention that you should mention why you were fired but out a positive spin on it.

So if people want to believe that we live in a perfect and safe world where there are no repercussions for your prior actions, be my guest.
I think if you have the previous supervisor willing to be a reference from the job you were fired from then you are cool.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2016, 08:27 PM

4,487 posts, read 2,876,126 times
Quote:
And here we go again (and again).

Appears as if quite a few people still believe the myth that ALL companies will not divulge details on an employee besides dates worked, based on a supposed fear of a lawsuit.
I don't know what the laws on this are, so i can't comment on that (if i had to guess, it isn't illegal overall, given various state laws).

My exit interviews (left on good terms and not so good) have told me that due to not wanting have to deal with defamation suits, will only divulge salary, dates of employment, and perhaps titles.

It varies per employer though.

Quote:
So it's not illegal to give details on why you were fired, your performance, etc., as long as it is true.
This is exactly why some companies WILL NOT DO THIS! There are unscrupulous companies that will make things personal, NOT professional, and bad mouth ex-employees. On the flipside, those same companies won't say you're the greatest employee ever.

Quote:
Plus there are many other ways to screen an employee.

It could be a simple matter of seeing whether the applicant is eligible for rehire. Or as mentioned above off hand off the record references in many industries where everyone knows each other.
The are many reasons why someone is ineligible for rehire. Boss is pissed b/c they jumped ship for a better job, politics, etc.

Old 01-26-2016, 12:41 PM

4,646 posts, read 2,286,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ackmondual View Post
This is exactly why some companies WILL NOT DO THIS! There are unscrupulous companies that will make things personal, NOT professional, and bad mouth ex-employees. On the flipside, those same companies won't say you're the greatest employee ever.
The way I look at it...if it is unprofessional for a candidate to badmouth a previous employer no matter how accurate or true their assertions are, then it should be the same regarding an employer discussing a previous employee.

Just because an employee doesn't work out for you, does not mean they won't become a fantastic fit somewhere else.

Old 01-26-2016, 06:15 PM

2 posts, read 1,381 times
Yes, some do, some will just look into your employment history based on your SSN, and some both. Some require references which they will call, but you should only be willing to give references if you are in advanced stage of interview. One of my past companies do not respond to referral calls because it was against their HR policy. Manager would not want to speak. In that situation I had to get a colleague. The last employer was doing that and even contacted me when could not get ahold one of my contacts.

Old 01-28-2016, 02:20 AM

1,753 posts, read 1,012,647 times
It is perfectly legal in any state for past and present employers to share information that they sincerely believe truthful.
So, if you were canned your last job because you swiped a stapler or shotgunned a beer in the copy room your previous employer can state it.

Some people also believe that reference checkers can also only contact who you have listed, that is not the case, they are free to contact anyone they see fit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or