U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2016, 07:13 AM

9,808 posts, read 17,032,834 times

Advertisements

I have worked for public and private universities. The positions have range bands, and they are probably starting the person out at the lower end of the range band. They may be willing to give the right candidate a little more, but there really is no negotiating for this type of staff support job. Universities are generally known for good and stable working conditions, benefits packages, tuition remission, etc., so there is a line of people waiting to accept the offered pay. There are people who would take significantly less than is offered just to get the tuition remission package for their children. Based on your skills, plus the skills and starting salary of the last person to be offered the same job, you might see a very small bump in pay but, as I said, you are not in a position of power to negotiate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2016, 07:41 AM

3,102 posts, read 3,208,245 times
I have always responded to the question about my salary requirements with "I expect to be fairly compensated for my skills and responsibilities" and left it at that. Once they make an offer I'll know if it is worth pursuing. I once had a headhunter ask me how I handled the question and I told him about my response. He said he couldn't think of a better one.

Old 01-26-2016, 10:52 AM

13,727 posts, read 8,622,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle21689 View Post
As some of you all know, I've been a temp for over a year and I'm tired of being strung along. I finally have an interview with a university and it has great benefits. The job sounds good and pay is decent in my opinion. I make $16.50/HR right now, probably if I stick around another month or two it'll jump to $17-17.50.

The position I'm interviewing for is starting at $37,000 which is a tad more than what I'm making but I would like to request maybe $19-20/HR range but in truth, I would take the $37,000 anyway. They disclosed the salary to me, if they ask me what kind of pay I am looking for do I keep it vague and say "It's negotiable"? I know that this response has annoyed many. Jobs nowadays ask for your previous pay, so they know what I'm making right now. I'd like to make $40,000 to be honest. I'd be happy with a $18/HR although it'll only be $60 more in a pay check.
"This job pays $37,000".

"I was actually looking for just a little more - closer to $40,000. Is there a chance"?

Good eye at seeing your present response, "It's negotiable" has been irritating some people.

Old 01-26-2016, 11:56 AM

6,942 posts, read 3,080,364 times
Very few people these days applying for almost any position are in positions of power. Employees have not been in positions of power for decades.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
I have worked for public and private universities. The positions have range bands, and they are probably starting the person out at the lower end of the range band. They may be willing to give the right candidate a little more, but there really is no negotiating for this type of staff support job. Universities are generally known for good and stable working conditions, benefits packages, tuition remission, etc., so there is a line of people waiting to accept the offered pay. There are people who would take significantly less than is offered just to get the tuition remission package for their children. Based on your skills, plus the skills and starting salary of the last person to be offered the same job, you might see a very small bump in pay but, as I said, you are not in a position of power to negotiate.

Old 01-26-2016, 12:47 PM

780 posts, read 507,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by te3t View Post
Yes current and previous so they can make a determination if you are too expensive.

I have never heard of this, that you have to give the amount. The way I was trained for the interview is if I was asked that question, I don't have to answer it if I don't want to.

I was in that situation before, exactly $37k and wanting $40k. I asked for $40k, but I added why I deserve the extra bump. They gave it to me and I was able to start two days later. I'm still with them

Old 01-26-2016, 12:53 PM

22,554 posts, read 47,401,989 times
I've seen jobs that offered the job at a certain pay and they won't negotiate with anyone. I've also seen jobs where you are almost labeled as not particularly smart if you don't ask for more. Most jobs fall in the latter category but not all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by katie45 View Post

If an interviewer asked me what my current salary was I would never give them an amount; I would just say that since I'd been at that post for "x" number of years the range of pay had increased.
Unfortunately, you leave yourself open to beginning and current salary with that response. Their retort is probably going to be "So what did you start with and what do you make now.

I love MidValleyDad's response:

Quote:
I expect to be fairly compensated for my skills and responsibilities.
I also love this from Shoshana:

Quote:
I may be making 30K, so they may think I'm "not too expensive".
Little do they know I would not accept a new job making anything less than 40K. Any less than that, it's not worth it for me to make a move.

Old 01-26-2016, 12:58 PM

5,063 posts, read 3,237,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle21689 View Post
As some of you all know, I've been a temp for over a year and I'm tired of being strung along. I finally have an interview with a university and it has great benefits. The job sounds good and pay is decent in my opinion. I make $16.50/HR right now, probably if I stick around another month or two it'll jump to $17-17.50.

The position I'm interviewing for is starting at $37,000 which is a tad more than what I'm making but I would like to request maybe $19-20/HR range but in truth, I would take the $37,000 anyway. They disclosed the salary to me, if they ask me what kind of pay I am looking for do I keep it vague and say "It's negotiable"? I know that this response has annoyed many. Jobs nowadays ask for your previous pay, so they know what I'm making right now. I'd like to make $40,000 to be honest. I'd be happy with a $18/HR although it'll only be $60 more in a pay check.
Be ready to say WHY you're worth the money also...yes, I know they wouldn't be speaking with you if you weren't their type, but still....toot that horn!

Old 01-26-2016, 01:23 PM

5,344 posts, read 5,321,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidValleyDad View Post
I once had a headhunter ask me how I handled the question and I told him about my response. He said he couldn't think of a better one.
I can think of about a billion better one's.

It's a terribly off putting and impersonal response.

Old 01-26-2016, 01:33 PM

780 posts, read 507,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-fused View Post
I can think of about a billion better one's.

It's a terribly off putting and impersonal response.
oOooO...Do share a couple ones.

I'd like to take notes

Old 01-26-2016, 01:47 PM

3,565 posts, read 1,881,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliwalas View Post
oOooO...Do share a couple ones.

I'd like to take notes
How about: An offer in the range of $40,000 would be a serious contender.

Or: I'd like to be in the $40,000 range.

Or: I think a fair market salary for my skills is $40,000.

A lot of people seem really guarded about the salary question, thinking it puts them at a disadvantage. The truth is that the salary question is an opportunity: it lets you set the parameters of a negotiation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or