U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-18-2016, 09:39 PM
 
2,614 posts, read 2,250,069 times
Reputation: 4894

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickchick View Post
I find that even if I don't really want the job it seems like I can still get disappointed because I know I have to get something and if I'm in a job I don't really want then I can be desirable to the jobs I want because they say it's easier to get a job when you have one.
It's the worst feeling to be upset over a job you didn't even want.

I have been unemployed for 5 years and it only makes it easier to dwell on the past because I know that gap doesn't help. My coach says I might have to go back to school but I just want something now. I need something now.
The thing is I have been doing GPT sites for so long..they have been my job and the longer I'm unemployed the longer I feel that I have to do them cuz when I don't do them I don't feel like doing anything else. I get so tired but I don't want to do anymore. I don't have the motivation to do them.

And the thing is I have to take the rejections personally because I know it is being myself is what is preventing me from getting the job but I don't know how to be anything other than myself.
5 years unemployed?

Is that just for full time? Are you working temp or odd jobs?

There must be a long list of jobs you aren't willing to do.

When you say being myself is what is preventing me for getting the job, what exactly is it that is not helping?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-19-2016, 10:37 AM
 
3,317 posts, read 1,885,138 times
Reputation: 1857
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Altitude View Post
5 years unemployed?

Is that just for full time? Are you working temp or odd jobs?

There must be a long list of jobs you aren't willing to do.

When you say being myself is what is preventing me for getting the job, what exactly is it that is not helping?

Nah it's in general. I have tried looking into temp jobs before. When I went to the job fair, they had ManPower there and they just directed me to their website so I looked there. I had also looked into some others I was told about.
I used to do clickworker for a while but I wasn't really good at it so I quit. I have looked at lots of ways to make money but a huge majority of them aren't in my area. So all I've really done to earn money for all this time is GPT and survey sites but like I say I get tired of them lately. I don't want to do them anymore but I feel trapped in them. I did like the paid to post program I was in. It felt more meaningful but don't make a lot of money with that. There isn't much for me to post in usually.

Well I really don't want to work at the grocery store or a restaurant or physical labor but I've tried to be more open minded for a while. I just can't do physical labor because I don't have the body for it. Restaurants tend to be fast paced and require more thinking on your feet (that's actually where I worked in high school. I'm pretty sure if I had kept working there it would have been too much for me) so the grocery store is really the only one I don't want to do..the others I just can't do.
Actually a few years ago I even tried Target even though I didn't really want to work there but I think they could tell I didn't feel right working there. My coach says I'm too picky because the jobs I think about are higher end except for the pet store. I'm just not as motivated to apply for jobs I don't really want because I don't see how I would get them if I can't even get jobs I do want.


Because I am a 100 percent authentic person and I have mental deficiencies. I think they can always tell if I'm not passionate about the job itself but even if I am passionate, they can tell that I am a disconnected/misunderstood person. They want someone who will fit within their company culture because it's not enough to have a strong work ethic to them.
The next to the last interview I had the guy said his concern was that I stuttered so he said he would have to put me as a cashier. I said I was fine with that and then he didn't say anything.
My coach says I do not have to lie I just have to change words but it is hard for me to even do that. As a reserved person I do not like to show my feelings but I find that somehow they come out anyway.
My last interview was with a guy who reminded me of my distant kindred spirit (that I have romantic feelings for) so I think that was what made me less nervous so he said he'd put in a good word for me it just wasn't up to him but at the same time I still did not get the job so I wonder if he noticed that I was staring at his lips/eyes/eyebrows but had to pretend nothing was a problem in case that was discrimination or maybe it wasn't even a problem it was just the one factor that made me less good than another candidate. Or maybe another candidate said that they could lift that many pounds. He said it was okay it was good that I was honest..but to me it's not good because that means someone who can lift more than me can get the job. So it's like when I do good I still do bad in another way that would be enough to keep me from landing the job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-19-2016, 12:31 PM
 
Location: In a vehicle.
5,060 posts, read 3,235,316 times
Reputation: 8259
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeromeville View Post
I received a job offer today after five months of unemployment. It's a nice job that pays decently, with what seems like a great group of people, so I'm happy, and grateful (as I live in an area with a poor job market, and I'm also an older female job seeker). I've accepted and will start work in about a week.
You sound like a co-worker from my last job. She too was an "Older female worker" and she had years of HR and accounting experience. But she spoke of interviews that were so weird she stopped the phone call and told em that she wasn't interested.

I loved her confidence in herself....

She starts in 2 weeks......I wish you and her the best.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-20-2016, 02:35 PM
 
Location: East TN
144 posts, read 85,002 times
Reputation: 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickchick View Post
I have been unemployed for 5 years and it only makes it easier to dwell on the past because I know that gap doesn't help.
5 years? That is nothing. I have been unemployed for at least 10 years, technically speaking 14 years. There are no jobs here, whatsoever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-23-2016, 02:27 AM
 
1,838 posts, read 2,390,526 times
Reputation: 1538
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeromeville View Post
One thing I'd like to add, even though I am now employed...

Hiring really does seem to pick up after the holidays. I applied to six jobs in the month of January, and got called back on every single one. (Callbacks are still coming in...!) Also, I got called back on all kinds of jobs I applied for. My case may be not the norm, but January was by far the most successful month of my job search (even if I hadn't been hired, it would have been).

Worst month? December, by far. But I think that's common knowledge.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazeddude8 View Post
I think there may be some truth to this. For me November and December where terrible since it seems that everyone is in "vacation mode". It was not until January where I actually had "lets meet for an in-person interview".
It's because at the end of the year most companies have already made budget and are through hiring for the year. The 1st quarter starts in January which means new budget and that's when the hiring starts again, also it's best to get a job offer in the 1st & 2nd quarter because the company has a full budget to spend which means you have a better chance at getting a higher salary offer vs someone who's offered the position in the 3rd & 4th quarter of the year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top