U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2016, 10:02 PM

3,982 posts, read 5,766,872 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mco65 View Post
states schools are no better or worse than for profit schools like Phx... JMO
Well, the opinion of most employers that require a degree is that the UOP generally doesn't prepare candidates adequately. State universities, by law in many cases, must be properly accredited by independent bureaus (like ABET) when offering degrees in certain fields of study. "Schools" like the UOP don't seek these accreditations because they would never obtain them with their inferior curriculum and instruction. Therefore, their "degrees" are generally worthless. There is a reason that most companies don't honor them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2016, 09:10 AM

2,088 posts, read 1,859,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turkey-head View Post
Basing life choices on "should" is a sure path to failure.

No, not really. Not something like this.

No.

If the candidate proves they cannot do the job, it shouldn't matter where they got their degree. I'm sorry but since when this talk about degrees pop up?

So employers are now discriminating against candidates over degrees now?

And yes, I'm sure employers look at your educational records.

Old 01-27-2016, 10:43 AM

292 posts, read 267,015 times
I would include it as it is something that you invested time and money* to improve your skills. It doesn't matter what the value of that degree is...the fact is that you learned something and can hopefully apply those skills you learned while acquiring your degree in the field that you are applying for.

*Well, someone did.

Old 01-27-2016, 11:20 AM

104 posts, read 82,693 times
I would leave it off. Right or wrong, our management has dismissed a few candidates just for having a for-profit on their resume.

Old 01-27-2016, 11:38 AM

12,184 posts, read 10,373,719 times
One of my co-workers has his UoP diploma framed with an accent light shining on it 24/7 at his cubicle. I feel bad because everyone makes fun of this elaborate display behind his back but he is so darn proud of it.

Old 01-27-2016, 12:02 PM

289 posts, read 344,998 times
Similar to OP, I went to a for-profit school for my BA because my employer paid a big chunk of the tuition. It didn't bother me too much because it was a psychology degree and those are a dime a dozen anywhere, so I didn't see the point in paying my state university twice the money for a degree that is largely, by itself, useless (only reason I majored in that is because I intended on going to grad school to become a counselor, and they require a bachelor's in a human services field for admission). When people ask about my school, I make sure to point out two things: 1) I spent the first 2 years at an actual, brick-and-mortar technical college before transferring, and 2) I play up the sympathy card: I was dirt poor at the time, I wanted to be the first person in my family to go to college, and I wouldn't have been able to afford it any other way.

In all honesty having my degree from a for-profit school hasn't stopped me from getting employed in my field, but like I said, psych degrees are a dime a dozen, and a mere stepping stone in a true psychology career. If I were in another field, this might be different.

On another note, I don't really think the learning process at this school left me worse for the wear. Compared to the weekly quizzes and lectures at the tech school, the classes at my online school were much more focused on research and inter-student discussion. I think some schools fill their curriculum with a lot of fluff, and personally I'd rather do independent study reading scientific journals than make a Powerpoint presentation on schizophrenia.

Old 01-27-2016, 12:14 PM

292 posts, read 267,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkme323 View Post
I would leave it off. Right or wrong, our management has dismissed a few candidates just for having a for-profit on their resume.
You sure they didn't dismiss a candidate due to lack of abilities or whatever you wanna call it?

Old 01-27-2016, 04:27 PM

350 posts, read 556,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkme323 View Post
And this is just a potential lawsuit waiting to happen.

Old 01-27-2016, 04:48 PM

1,788 posts, read 1,023,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sideman View Post
And this is just a potential lawsuit waiting to happen.
Please explain what law you thought was violated.

Old 01-27-2016, 08:14 PM

350 posts, read 556,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sockeye66 View Post
Please explain what law you thought was violated.

Interesting way to phrase it, but hey I get your drift.

Wrongful discharge. And regardless of whether it is considered legal or not, it can be argued either way. Either for the employee or the employer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or