U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2016, 08:14 PM

341 posts, read 1,015,822 times

Advertisements

Finally got confirmation for my interview Friday. I am giving myself an hour in car parking is hard. When I attended the university as a student I remember it being hard but I think it may be a different story for faculty and visitors...

Anyways, I want to prepare as much as I can for this job. The email stated, "
The interview will be a group interview with myself (Assistant Director), Susie W (Director), and Jane Smith (Payroll Manager) which will take approximately 1 hour. At the conclusion, I will be available to go over any additional questions related to benefits."

Maybe I'm looking too much into it because I'm a bit nervous. But group interview, so you think she meant with a group of other candidates with the managers or a panel interview?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2016, 08:21 PM

3,892 posts, read 1,645,447 times
Yeah, I did a group interview a few years ago for my current job at a rather large company.

Basically I showed up along with half a dozen other applicants. They gave us a tour, gave a couple of presentations describing benefits packages, etc. After a while they split us up among several supervisors and we each had an individual interview, where I assume they filled out a checklist/form/etc. We had lunch as a group with a different supervisor. Then later about half of us got a call with a job offer.

Good experience overall. And it's been a good job too.

Old 01-26-2016, 08:27 PM

1,378 posts, read 2,118,732 times
It's disrespectful

Old 01-26-2016, 08:35 PM

Does the email sound like it will be a group or panel interview?

Old 01-26-2016, 09:13 PM

9,426 posts, read 7,101,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle21689 View Post
Does the email sound like it will be a group or panel interview?
A group, that they disclosed, will be interviewing you.

Nowhere performs interviews on a group of candidates. At least, not totally. Perhaps they bring a group in, cover the basics, then split off for one-on-ones.

But, at least you were told. I felt like I was under attack when I went for an interview and it was with 7 people around a table and they hadn't told me that was what would happen.

That interview went poorly all around. When they asked me what I was looking for and I said, "Well, here's what I do now, here's what I make.. I certainly am not looking to move to 3rd shift or oddball schedules for less pay" and they then said "This is a third shift job and we can't come close to what you're making now"..

Old 01-26-2016, 09:20 PM

6,127 posts, read 6,450,601 times
For my job, I first interviewed one on one with my manager. After that, he left the room and two others came in to interview me. One is a coworker in my department and the other a manager in a different department. I had already interviewed with the other department manager four months prior but didn't get the job. Neither interview was bad or overly stressful. However, some of the basic questions I already knew to expect, having interviewed there before.

I had one job years ago that was a group interview with the whole department. Everyone sat around the table and asked me questions. I was younger and less experienced and it was intimidating. I got that job, too.

Old 01-26-2016, 09:24 PM

5,037 posts, read 3,222,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle21689 View Post
Finally got confirmation for my interview Friday. I am giving myself an hour in car parking is hard. When I attended the university as a student I remember it being hard but I think it may be a different story for faculty and visitors...

Anyways, I want to prepare as much as I can for this job. The email stated, "
The interview will be a group interview with myself (Assistant Director), Susie W (Director), and Jane Smith (Payroll Manager) which will take approximately 1 hour. At the conclusion, I will be available to go over any additional questions related to benefits."

Maybe I'm looking too much into it because I'm a bit nervous. But group interview, so you think she meant with a group of other candidates with the managers or a panel interview?

Last time I had one was years ago and it was the frigging Town Council....

They hired another guy who had a wife and kid....He later quit, but by then I had another job.....

Old 01-26-2016, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
A group, that they disclosed, will be interviewing you.

Nowhere performs interviews on a group of candidates. At least, not totally. Perhaps they bring a group in, cover the basics, then split off for one-on-ones.

But, at least you were told. I felt like I was under attack when I went for an interview and it was with 7 people around a table and they hadn't told me that was what would happen.

That interview went poorly all around. When they asked me what I was looking for and I said, "Well, here's what I do now, here's what I make.. I certainly am not looking to move to 3rd shift or oddball schedules for less pay" and they then said "This is a third shift job and we can't come close to what you're making now"..

I agree! I appreciate the disclosure. I'm hoping it won't be too bad, it can't be as bad as my last interview teo years ago where 7 managers and workers swarmed me grilling me! I felt like I was under attack and even though I felt like passing out I did pretty good lol.

Old 01-26-2016, 10:53 PM

292 posts, read 267,086 times
The worst are phone interviews with a group on the other end...

Old 01-27-2016, 09:15 AM

2,094 posts, read 1,860,464 times
Had an Apple interview. I didn't like it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or